Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-06, 08:06 AM   #16
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD
 
Eric aus Chemnitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chemnitz, Sachsen
Age: 32
Posts: 2,464
@Gilby: Is there anything we can do to support you? Maybe some donations for the running and upgrading costs?
__________________
Einradfahren in Sachsen:
einradsachsen.com
f/EinradSachsen
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 03:27 PM   #17
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!
 
Up Rite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wet West Canada, for now...
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Thinking about it a bit more, I actually believe that the non-unicycling activity that would best help you get started with unassisted riding would be yoga -preferably yoga classes. Where I live, these classes are sometimes very inexpensive or even free, but that may not be the case where you are.

Balance is closely related to proprioception and flexibility, and yoga brings all three of these things together. It would give you the chance to work on them in a very focused way, without being encumbered by your motorcycle, a skateboard, a 500-pound barbell, a bicycle or even a unicycle. The minimalism of yoga is partly what unicycling is about, at least at the beginning. That's why, once you get riding around, you will hear so many people shout "Where's your other wheel?" "What happened to the rest of your bike?" and so on.

The connection (or not) between yoga and unicycling was discussed here a couple of years ago. A friend of mine ended up bedridden for two weeks from some sort of yoga injury, but a few people always manage to get injured doing just about anything! In my opinion, yoga is pretty safe. Of course, there are many different versions of it, and I have no idea what might be available in your area, but Bikram or some other kind of yoga with lots of one-legged balance poses might be extra-helpful for unicycling. In Korean, the word for unicycle literally means "one-legged bike," or so I was told.

Of course, if you keep trying to ride unassisted, you will probably figure it out very soon anyway, yoga or no yoga.
The injury rate in yoga seems to be quite high. I do know people that can do the most incredible yoga poses that have never been injured. From what I know of it, I think that people who go to group classes and follow the herd in McYoga classes are the ones that get hurt. To learn yoga properly really requires highly personalized instruction with a competent master instructor. That instructor should be able to help the student push themselves and progress while they stay within safe limits.

Within correct Yoga instruction there is a lot of specific breathing, esoteric theory, anatomy, movement and alignment, meditation, terminology, fasting, and dietary guidelines. It takes a long time to learn, and opens up and develops physical and mental capacities. Dropping in to a group McYoga class like Bikram hot yoga or other, and following the herd is likely to have several people doing exercises improperly as well as attempting exercises they are not ready for. that is where the injury comes from.

I know several people that have done Bikrams yoga for years, and few had any idea what the sun salutation series of yoga poses were. They knew little of the names or purposes of the poses they were doing. Many of them had injuries, and knew of others that got injured doing it.

Real yoga instruction seems to be expensive, and takes a significant commitment of time and effort with both the student and teacher. The westernized watered down version of it results in injuries and tarnishes the reputation of the real thing. That is my impression, but I could be wrong.
__________________


Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 03:50 PM   #18
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!
 
Up Rite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wet West Canada, for now...
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
@Gilby: Is there anything we can do to support you? Maybe some donations for the running and upgrading costs?
Perhaps look into putting in limited affiliate or other advertising here? Done carefully, it could generate some revenue, but overdone makes a place like this very annoying.
__________________


Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 04:28 PM   #19
song
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Real yoga instruction seems to be expensive, and takes a significant commitment of time and effort with both the student and teacher. The westernized watered down version of it results in injuries and tarnishes the reputation of the real thing. That is my impression, but I could be wrong.
No, I think you're right, though I don't know for sure because I never studied yoga properly in the way you describe, which probably is the right way. I am an atheist and don't go much for spirituality, whether it comes from the church, the synagogue, the mosque, the Buddhist temple, Hindu mysticism or UFO hysteria. I mentioned Bikram yoga mostly because it is the same everywhere in the world, just like a Big Mac or a Whopper with Cheese, so I knew exactly what I was recommending, whereas with some other form of yoga, that would not be the case!

Bikram yoga does produce tangible results. It made me more flexible, after a couple of weeks, than I ever became from being on the wrestling team in high school! It also made me acutely aware of the balance and position of my body all the time, and seemed to improve my general health and circulation as well. It does nothing for upper body strength, that's for sure, and may even be detrimental to it in the short term, but I did get a lot out of it while I was doing it, and for a non-unicycling activity to help get you riding, my guess is that it might be one of the better ones.

Still, as I said, if you keep attempting to ride your unicycle without holding onto anything, and you just lurch forward over open pavement and try to stay up by pedaling, I think you will figure it out any day now.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 01:04 AM   #20
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!
 
Up Rite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wet West Canada, for now...
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
No, I think you're right, though I don't know for sure because I never studied yoga properly in the way you describe, which probably is the right way. I am an atheist and don't go much for spirituality, whether it comes from the church, the synagogue, the mosque, the Buddhist temple, Hindu mysticism or UFO hysteria. I mentioned Bikram yoga mostly because it is the same everywhere in the world, just like a Big Mac or a Whopper with Cheese, so I knew exactly what I was recommending, whereas with some other form of yoga, that would not be the case!

Bikram yoga does produce tangible results. It made me more flexible, after a couple of weeks, than I ever became from being on the wrestling team in high school! It also made me acutely aware of the balance and position of my body all the time, and seemed to improve my general health and circulation as well. It does nothing for upper body strength, that's for sure, and may even be detrimental to it in the short term, but I did get a lot out of it while I was doing it, and for a non-unicycling activity to help get you riding, my guess is that it might be one of the better ones.

Still, as I said, if you keep attempting to ride your unicycle without holding onto anything, and you just lurch forward over open pavement and try to stay up by pedaling, I think you will figure it out any day now.
I used to consider myself an atheist too, but got fed up with militant atheists telling me what I should and should not believe. Too dogmatic and limiting for me. Now I just consider myself someone who doesn't believe in a personal God. I think that going deeper into practices like Yoga develops one further as an effective person. When I was a teenager training under an authentic Shaolin temple Kung Fu master, I could only get up to 5 to 10 minutes of horse stance. When I added in the meditation, breathing, herbalism, and esoteric part of it, I progressed beyond that, and eventually could hold that pose strictly for an hour every day. It eventually became easy, and back then I could kick an 8 foot ceiling, and on leg strength blow anyone away on a gym, and no one could trip me or make me lose my balance.

Yesterday's unicycling practice session yielded good progress, was away from the wall longer than ever before. For now my in between unicycle days training will be safe resistance training, instead of bodyweight or Yoga. After I am lean, I plan to drop exernal resistance and go for more bodyweight training and movement exercises. At my current weight I do not want to take up Yoga. Long ago when I looked into Yoga, to really learn it properly was a major commitment. Unfortuntely career, long work hours, and life got in the way of my physical training etc.

When I made to decision to go for it on unicycling, I wasn't 100% sure it was the best balance discipline as a starting point to learn. I am committed to it now, and will not give up. From what I know now, which could be incorrect, I might have gone with skateboarding as a starting point, as it is supposedly easier to do and learn. The balance and proprioception from skateboarding definitley is transferable to other activities. Not sure they make them strong enough to hold someone at the weight I started at though.

A big issue is a lot of the tools and toys used in agility and balance simply are not strong enough for big heavy people. So, to get into it, downsizing is necessary.
__________________


Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 07:20 AM   #21
Pinoclean
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
I used to consider myself an atheist too, but got fed up with militant atheists telling me what I should and should not believe. Too dogmatic and limiting for me. Now I just consider myself someone who doesn't believe in a personal God. I think that going deeper into practices like Yoga develops one further as an effective person. When I was a teenager training under an authentic Shaolin temple Kung Fu master, I could only get up to 5 to 10 minutes of horse stance. When I added in the meditation, breathing, herbalism, and esoteric part of it, I progressed beyond that, and eventually could hold that pose strictly for an hour every day. It eventually became easy, and back then I could kick an 8 foot ceiling, and on leg strength blow anyone away on a gym, and no one could trip me or make me lose my balance.

Yesterday's unicycling practice session yielded good progress, was away from the wall longer than ever before. For now my in between unicycle days training will be safe resistance training, instead of bodyweight or Yoga. After I am lean, I plan to drop exernal resistance and go for more bodyweight training and movement exercises. At my current weight I do not want to take up Yoga. Long ago when I looked into Yoga, to really learn it properly was a major commitment. Unfortuntely career, long work hours, and life got in the way of my physical training etc.

When I made to decision to go for it on unicycling, I wasn't 100% sure it was the best balance discipline as a starting point to learn. I am committed to it now, and will not give up. From what I know now, which could be incorrect, I might have gone with skateboarding as a starting point, as it is supposedly easier to do and learn. The balance and proprioception from skateboarding definitley is transferable to other activities. Not sure they make them strong enough to hold someone at the weight I started at though.

A big issue is a lot of the tools and toys used in agility and balance simply are not strong enough for big heavy people. So, to get into it, downsizing is necessary.
Is your name David Thorne? Do you run this website http://www.27bslash6.com/
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 03:28 PM   #22
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!
 
Up Rite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wet West Canada, for now...
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Is your name David Thorne? Do you run this website http://www.27bslash6.com/
No. Never heard of him.
__________________


Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 02:28 AM   #23
Pinoclean
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite
I used to consider myself an atheist too, but got fed up with militant atheists telling me what I should and should not believe. Too dogmatic and limiting for me. Now I just consider myself someone who doesn't believe in a personal God. I think that going deeper into practices like Yoga develops one further as an effective person. When I was a teenager training under an authentic Shaolin temple Kung Fu master, I could only get up to 5 to 10 minutes of horse stance. When I added in the meditation, breathing, herbalism, and esoteric part of it, I progressed beyond that, and eventually could hold that pose strictly for an hour every day. It eventually became easy, and back then I could kick an 8 foot ceiling, and on leg strength blow anyone away on a gym, and no one could trip me or make me lose my balance.

Yesterday's unicycling practice session yielded good progress, was away from the wall longer than ever before. For now my in between unicycle days training will be safe resistance training, instead of bodyweight or Yoga. After I am lean, I plan to drop exernal resistance and go for more bodyweight training and movement exercises. At my current weight I do not want to take up Yoga. Long ago when I looked into Yoga, to really learn it properly was a major commitment. Unfortuntely career, long work hours, and life got in the way of my physical training etc.

When I made to decision to go for it on unicycling, I wasn't 100% sure it was the best balance discipline as a starting point to learn. I am committed to it now, and will not give up. From what I know now, which could be incorrect, I might have gone with skateboarding as a starting point, as it is supposedly easier to do and learn. The balance and proprioception from skateboarding definitley is transferable to other activities. Not sure they make them strong enough to hold someone at the weight I started at though.

A big issue is a lot of the tools and toys used in agility and balance simply are not strong enough for big heavy people. So, to get into it, downsizing is necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
No. Never heard of him.



Your story structures are so similar! It is uncanny!


Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.27bslash6.com/strata.html
From: David Thorne
Date: Thursday 21 May 2009 1.52pm
To: Helen Bailey
Subject: Re: Re: Pets in the building

Dear Helen,
Currently I only have eight dogs but one is expecting puppies and I am very excited by this. I am hoping for a litter of at least ten as this is the number required to participate in dog sled racing.
I have read every Jack London novel in preparation and have constructed my own sled from timber I borrowed from the construction site across the road during the night. I have devised a plan which I feel will ensure me taking first place in the next national dog sled championships. For the first year of the puppies life I intend to say the word mush then chase them violently around the apartment while yelling and hitting saucepan lids together.
I have estimated that the soundproofing of my apartment should block out at least sixty percent of the noise and the dogs will learn to associate the word mush with great fear so when I yell it on race day, the panic and released adrenaline will spur them on to being winners. I am so confident of this being a foolproof plan that I intend to sell all my furniture the day before the race and bet the proceeds on coming first place.
Regards, David.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 03:34 AM   #24
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'
 
johnfoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Age: 56
Posts: 16,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
I used to consider myself an atheist too, but got fed up with militant atheists telling me what I should and should not believe.
That's funny. It seems to me that most peoples' perception of atheists is that they don't believe in anything at all, therefore they have no convictions, don't care about anything, etc. I also think it's funny being told by an atheist what one should believe.
Quote:
From what I know now... I might have gone with skateboarding as a starting point, as it is supposedly easier to do and learn. The balance and proprioception from skateboarding definitley is transferable to other activities.
That may be true. But can you ride a skateboard on a mountain bike trail? I think you have chosen a more rewarding and versatile activity.
__________________
John Foss
www.unicycling.com

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-03-09 at 03:36 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 06:07 AM   #25
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle
 
Mikefule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Bennington, Lincolnshire, England.
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
That's funny. It seems to me that most peoples' perception of atheists is that they don't believe in anything at all, therefore they have no convictions, don't care about anything, etc. I also think it's funny being told by an atheist what one should believe.
I believe we need to form a group to campaign on this issue because militant atheists need to be persuaded to stop believing that they should force other people to not believe what they don't believe.

I used to be "involved" although never particularly militant. Over here we have:

Atheists - people who not only have no belief in god(s) but are prepared to say so out loud in a social context. Some of them overdo it.

Humanists - a subset of atheists who subscribe to a shared set of "beliefs". These are not beliefs about the way that the world is, but beliefs about how we should behave. I suppose it's more of a philosophy - a way of thinking and behaving - than a belief system, but people are lazy about language.

Secularists - people who may or may not believe in god(s) but who campaign to keep religion out of public/legal life. They campaign on issues like excluding acts of worship from state run schools, allowing atheists to affirm in court rather than swearing on a holy book, and so on.
__________________
My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere

Last edited by Mikefule; 2018-03-09 at 06:08 AM.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 06:43 AM   #26
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!
 
Up Rite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wet West Canada, for now...
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Your story structures are so similar! It is uncanny!
Very interesting.
__________________


Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 07:15 AM   #27
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!
 
Up Rite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wet West Canada, for now...
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I believe we need to form a group to campaign on this issue because militant atheists need to be persuaded to stop believing that they should force other people to not believe what they don't believe.

I used to be "involved" although never particularly militant. Over here we have:

Atheists - people who not only have no belief in god(s) but are prepared to say so out loud in a social context. Some of them overdo it.

Humanists - a subset of atheists who subscribe to a shared set of "beliefs". These are not beliefs about the way that the world is, but beliefs about how we should behave. I suppose it's more of a philosophy - a way of thinking and behaving - than a belief system, but people are lazy about language.

Secularists - people who may or may not believe in god(s) but who campaign to keep religion out of public/legal life. They campaign on issues like excluding acts of worship from state run schools, allowing atheists to affirm in court rather than swearing on a holy book, and so on.
Militant Atheists are among the worst people I have ever known. Complete intolerance of freedom of choice, beliefs, and thoughts that they do not approve of. They are very pushy about it, worse than the Jehovah's Witnesses, and condescending and abusive to those who they disagree with. The old Soviet Communist regime at it's worst is very tame in comparison to the way they want the world to be. They are equally dogmatic and extreme in their views as religious fanatics.

I am a big believer in liberty. People must have freedom of choice to live as they see fit so long as they do not harm others, make their own decisions. People must be allowed to form their own beliefs and change their minds about things as they see fit. Militant Atheists want these rights taken away from everyone, and are working towards that end. It will be a dark day indeed if these thought police ever succeed.
__________________


Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 08:45 AM   #28
pierrox
Unicyclist
 
pierrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Between Paris, Grenoble, NY and NC
Age: 47
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Militant Atheists are among the worst people I have ever known.
Somewhere out there with the militant gluten frees?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-10, 10:26 AM   #29
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle
 
Mikefule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Bennington, Lincolnshire, England.
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Militant Atheists want these rights taken away from everyone, and are working towards that end. It will be a dark day indeed if these thought police ever succeed.
Because, of course, all militant atheists have identical opinions and agenda. It's a common phenomenon. That's why there is only one Christian church and one branch of the Muslim faith. Or, to put it another way: nonsense.

I agree that many outspoken atheists can go on about it far too much and put far too much effort into trying to persuade others that there are no gods. Evangelists and proselytists from any faith, or none, or any political movement, or dietary movement, or pressure group, are a pain in the backside. Very few people want to be converted to or from any religion or opinion.

I was a vegetarian for 18 years and never once criticised anyone else for eating meat, but if they asked me why I was vegetarian, I explained my reasons. I became heartily sick of them telling me why I should eat meat. I have been a "declared" atheist for around 40 years but have never once tried to talk someone out of believing in whatever gods they choose, although I have argued back whenever a religious person has tried to tell me that I ought to believe in their god.

However, I have never yet met an atheist who wanted to take away someone else's right to believe or their right to worship. Worldwide, people who care enough about the matter to openly declare themselves atheists are a small enough minority that they have a vested interest in freedom of speech and freedom of conscience.

Most atheists - but not all - respect other people's right to believe, without necessarily respecting the belief itself.
__________________
My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back, forum, line


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I completed my first 50k on a 36" unicycle! Many thanks to forum members! jrapp General Unicycling Discussions 4 2013-05-22 06:06 PM
***Back It Up line - Intermediate/Medium*** Casper General Unicycling Discussions 11 2011-07-31 05:12 PM
*Back it up**Line** Christoffer General Unicycling Discussions 18 2009-12-10 01:44 PM
Unicyclist.com Forum Hacked and Back Under Control Gilby News and Announcements 23 2005-01-16 04:34 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
Page generated in 0.33572 seconds with 12 queries