Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 639 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-26, 12:49 AM   #5146
rolandisimo
Unicyclist

I finally got some rides in with scenery to rival Aspen Mike up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was up there for the wedding of college friend (and unicyclist, Heartrider on forums) and got in a few rides. Another friend came along on his bike, and he was able to take a few picts of us along the way.

The afternoon after I flew in I just rode around the bottom of the Jackson Hole Ski resort. They have a 'bike park' that has some fun downhills that we rode a bit. The lift was about to close so we didn't pay the $25 fee to ride the chairlift, but they didn't yell at us for riding up and poaching the downhills. The green trail was super fun on my geared up on my 26"guni, the blue run had a bunch of jumps that were kind of fun to catch some air on, although I never cleared the table tops. I figured I'd come back here and pay for more runs, but ended up doing more back country riding instead.

We had all day Friday so we made some sandwiches and headed over to the Snow King area by the town of Jackson, Cache Creek trailhead. These trails were great, the sun was shining on the snow capped mountains, and the fields were just bursting with flowers. We rode down Put-Put and then back along Hagen. There was one section of Hagen that was a bit technical (see video) but mostly both were smooth single track on rolling hills. I then busted up Ferrin's Trail, this was a tough climb of 1500ft, but pretty much all doable, with a lot of switch backs giving it a reasonable grade. The climb was worth it, with another flower-packed meadow at the top with mountain views. I started heading down a dirt road towards town but then realized this was a horrible waste of vertical and turned around to go back down the single-track of Ferrin's', which was a blast. I did the top part geared up (seen in video) and most of the steeper, lower hill geared down. The views southwest were also amazing, and if I went again, I would try the Game Creek trails, which would link up a pretty epic loop (map of trails here). My ride this day worked out to about 15miles, GPS'ed here

Saturday I hiked the 7mile 4000ft climb up Jackson Hole ski resort with my friend. Much of this route is probably ridable, but I enjoyed the hike, and probably soaked in the amazing views more as a hiker than a rider. Of course I had the uni on my shoulder. It took us about 3hrs to hike up, but just 35min for me to ride down, mostly geared up, averaging 12mph. I wish I had a brake, my legs are still sore from that ride.

An amazing place to ride (or do any outdoor activities)!
Roland
Attached Images

rolandisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 12:53 AM   #5147
AEV D.
4 Paletten!!!

Yesterday I went for some city trial and sight seeing to San Francisco downtown. Had a lot of fun there and have now a little sunburn in my face

Pics
Old 2011-07-26, 01:19 AM   #5148
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Nice pics. I always cary a couple of 1 oz. bottles for sunblock and extra Chamoi Butter to avoid problems

Are you a native or are you just getting your language practice?

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-07-26 at 01:21 AM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 01:30 AM   #5149
AEV D.
4 Paletten!!!

That's a goooood idea. I'll try to remember it the next time.

I'm here as an Au-Pair to improve my english but also to make lots of new experiences and something different then studying all the time.
Old 2011-07-26, 01:42 AM   #5150
skilewis74

Did you bring a Muni (if not I'm sure you could find a loaner if you didn't want to use your trails)? The two local groups do regular Muni rides and the Berkley club plays basketball every Tuesday.

unicyclists@lists.berkeley.edu
unicyclists@googlegroups.com

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-07-26 at 01:44 AM.
Old 2011-07-26, 07:20 AM   #5151
ImFalling
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV D. View Post
That's a goooood idea. I'll try to remember it the next time.

I'm here as an Au-Pair to improve my english but also to make lots of new experiences and something different then studying all the time.
As you wish to improve your english, let me point out a pet peeve of mine - you have used 'then' incorrectly in the above sentence. 'Than' should be used for comparison, e.g. x is different than y. 'Then' should be used when referring to the chronology of events, e.g. after x, then we did y.

Don't worry, I see far too many native english speakers making the same mistake.
ImFalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 02:19 PM   #5152
Lanaboos
Unicyclist

Ruby Beach

After 59 miles of riding Joe does some end of the day ride pictures July 19 at Ruby Beach, Washington coast.
Attached Images

Lanaboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 05:09 PM   #5153
AEV D.
4 Paletten!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImFalling View Post
As you wish to improve your english, let me point out a pet peeve of mine - you have used 'then' incorrectly in the above sentence. 'Than' should be used for comparison, e.g. x is different than y. 'Then' should be used when referring to the chronology of events, e.g. after x, then we did y.

Don't worry, I see far too many native english speakers making the same mistake.
Thank you!
Old 2011-07-26, 05:19 PM   #5154
skilewis74

WOW! Joe can ride on water!!!

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-07-26 at 05:19 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 05:33 PM   #5155
AEV D.
4 Paletten!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74 View Post
Did you bring a Muni (if not I'm sure you could find a loaner if you didn't want to use your trails)? The two local groups do regular Muni rides and the Berkley club plays basketball every Tuesday.

unicyclists@lists.berkeley.edu
unicyclists@googlegroups.com
My 24" Muni didn't fit in my suitcase, so I couldn't bring it with me. I already am in both mailing lists. I wanted to meet two guys for the city trial but one of them got sick and the other one had no time until the late afternoon. When we finally met and started to ride my hostdad wrote a message that he wanted to pick me up for dinner.
But this guy has a 24" Muni which I can use.

On Tuesdays I've got no time as I work until 6:15pm..
Old 2011-07-28, 02:42 AM   #5156
Pagee
"Anyone can ride two wheels"

Short coastaL ride

Only managed 10k before there was torrential downpour
Attached Images

Pagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:29 PM   #5157
Lanaboos
Unicyclist

July 27

Oregon Coast Bicycle Route, alternate route through Lincoln City, OR
and Otter Crest Loop
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-29, 01:53 PM   #5158
aspenmike
unicycling albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandisimo View Post
I finally got some rides in with scenery to rival Aspen Mike up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was up there for the wedding of college friend (and unicyclist, Heartrider on forums) and got in a few rides. Another friend came along on his bike, and he was able to take a few picts of us along the way.

The afternoon after I flew in I just rode around the bottom of the Jackson Hole Ski resort. They have a 'bike park' that has some fun downhills that we rode a bit. The lift was about to close so we didn't pay the $25 fee to ride the chairlift, but they didn't yell at us for riding up and poaching the downhills. The green trail was super fun on my geared up on my 26"guni, the blue run had a bunch of jumps that were kind of fun to catch some air on, although I never cleared the table tops. I figured I'd come back here and pay for more runs, but ended up doing more back country riding instead.

We had all day Friday so we made some sandwiches and headed over to the Snow King area by the town of Jackson, Cache Creek trailhead. These trails were great, the sun was shining on the snow capped mountains, and the fields were just bursting with flowers. We rode down Put-Put and then back along Hagen. There was one section of Hagen that was a bit technical (see video) but mostly both were smooth single track on rolling hills. I then busted up Ferrin's Trail, this was a tough climb of 1500ft, but pretty much all doable, with a lot of switch backs giving it a reasonable grade. The climb was worth it, with another flower-packed meadow at the top with mountain views. I started heading down a dirt road towards town but then realized this was a horrible waste of vertical and turned around to go back down the single-track of Ferrin's', which was a blast. I did the top part geared up (seen in video) and most of the steeper, lower hill geared down. The views southwest were also amazing, and if I went again, I would try the Game Creek trails, which would link up a pretty epic loop (map of trails here). My ride this day worked out to about 15miles, GPS'ed here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5selkNb-N1w

Saturday I hiked the 7mile 4000ft climb up Jackson Hole ski resort with my friend. Much of this route is probably ridable, but I enjoyed the hike, and probably soaked in the amazing views more as a hiker than a rider. Of course I had the uni on my shoulder. It took us about 3hrs to hike up, but just 35min for me to ride down, mostly geared up, averaging 12mph. I wish I had a brake, my legs are still sore from that ride.

An amazing place to ride (or do any outdoor activities)!
Roland
Very nice Roland, high country MUni is pretty awesome, and Jackson Hole is another spectacular place to ride. Do they have a network of trails off the top? Thanks for riding and sharing.
aspenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 01:55 PM   #5159
aspenmike
unicycling albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaboos View Post
Oregon Coast Bicycle Route, alternate route through Lincoln City, OR
and Otter Crest Loop
Amazing scenery Joe, love the pics.
aspenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 04:00 PM   #5160
Lanaboos
Unicyclist

Heceta Head

Coming out of the tunnel at Heceta Head. At times the wind must of been blowing 60 mph plus when the headlands funnel it up the slopes or squeeze it between cuts. Joe got blown off twice yesterday. Ended the day at Florence, OR.
Attached Images

Tags
сосиска, bright-nights, forest-park, latest, mumpitz, pictures, ride, unicycle