Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-09-17, 07:22 AM   #1
Kelly Hickman
Unicyclist

The Workout Thread

Hey all, I'm making this thread because I'm interested in who all has a daily workout and what it consists of. I love working out because it gives me that "feel good pain" and keeps me fit for riding.
For me, I don't go to a gym and use weights. Instead, I do workouts that consists of different types of pullups, pushups, ab exercises and more. I think this saves money and time although the results may not be as full.
Also, gotta keep up the protein intake to help get better results...sort of a high protein diet I want to start up.

I'm interested to know what the rest of you do and if you have any special workouts you would like to share or dieting plans...basically, anything related to staying fit and keeping healthy.

KH.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:16 AM   #2
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

I run...and run as far as I can. It's good for staying lean compared to riding...I always feel hungry after a ride, but never after running. For the amount of time you spend doing it, you also get a better endorphin fix (a 3hr run feels like a 6hr bike or uni ride), and it's good in winter as you don't get the windchill.

Or I ride my bike- it's better for Unicycle fitness- you can push bigger gears.

I would never ever use a gym. Burn them all down I say. It's a terrible concept...having equipment that have no real function other than exercise for the sake of exercising. Good for fat people who do something because they feel they should, not because it's fun.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2011-09-17 at 08:17 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 07:51 PM   #3
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Hickman View Post
Also, gotta keep up the protein intake to help get better results...sort of a high protein diet I want to start up.
If you're a vegetarian, read Diet for a Small Planet or Recipes for a Small Planet. You'll get far too much protein from non-meat, non-animals. Animals have too much fat.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:42 PM   #4
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I added a more intensive leg workout, to help improve my overall riding strength. It's called a GUni!

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-18, 02:13 AM   #5
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

I walked Buster today. He's blind and deaf so it's pretty slow going. There's a lot more to smell when that's the whole show. He still wanders through the woods pretty well. Wow, now I'm beat. I think I'll watch TV.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-18, 10:12 PM   #6
feel the light
level 1 fat guy

I have lot's of weights in my yard

This not only gives me free gym membership, I also get free trainers. Many was the day I was on my ass not moving, when a friend would come by and we would lift weights together. I got the weights so they come to me.

I have had the same dead lift (300lb) bar in my yard for 15 years. You don't want it in your house. For that matter, it does the lawn no favors. Cheap though, it will not rust away, and friends bring me plates they find. Just let it get rusty in your yard. You are the one that's supposed to look good, who cares if your weights are rusty.

I do not recommend diets, and all the supplements are bull shit. However, basic lifts, the dead lift , squat, and presses, will put 30 lbs on an anorexic nun. I have trained many people, they all respond to the basic lifts. OK, only a few did, but no one, who showed up and did it, did not grow a bunch. Most wimped out. The dead lift and squat are real pissers. The lifters who stayed all grew a bunch.
feel the light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 02:55 AM   #7
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
I really need to start running, but I probably won't :P. I used to daily but haven't since Unicon :S.... I'm vegetarian and eat next to no protein aswell... hope I don't die soon.

I do press ups, pull ups and ad exercises every second night or so, the rest of my working out I leave to my riding . I used to do martial arts for about 5 years but then realized instead of working out extra, I should just ride more :P

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2011-09-19 at 02:56 AM.
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 03:18 AM   #8
Kelly Hickman
Unicyclist

Im starting the Insanity workout soon. Hopefully it will do what they say. I chose it over p90x for now because they say it packs more within the 45 minutes ratio wise so its quicker and it also doesn't require any special equipment or anything like that...Lets see how it goes.

KH.
Old 2011-09-20, 03:56 AM   #9
King Of Suede
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to King Of Suede Send a message via MSN to King Of Suede
I need a good morning work out routine that can be done in a college dorm. Mostly for upper body...

Aaaaaaaand, go!
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 04:11 PM   #10
surfer1024
Zachary Wenner

Send a message via Skype™ to surfer1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede View Post
I need a good morning work out routine that can be done in a college dorm. Mostly for upper body...

Aaaaaaaand, go!
your college doesn't have a gym?
Street 2011
surfer1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 05:14 PM   #11
King Of Suede
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to King Of Suede Send a message via MSN to King Of Suede
If you've seen my spaghetti arms, you'd know why I'm hesitant to go to the gym =/
Plus I don't know how half the machines work.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 06:15 PM   #12
EliB
Flatland

Send a message via AIM to EliB Send a message via MSN to EliB
I've got a really awesome free weight workout for power and packing on muscle. A school health teacher made it for me, and it's got enough diversity to not get extremely monotonous, even after I've been doing it at least three days a week for over a year now. For me, it's nice because my dad has a nice setup in our garage for lifting, but I don't think I'd want to pay for a gym membership either..

I do a lot of pullups, situps, and pushups as well, at the end of every workout.

As for my diet, I don't really take any supplements or anything. But I do have a pretty high-protein diet.
Old 2011-09-20, 07:34 PM   #13
KlownLife
Get Big or Die Tryin'

This is a great thread, we can all be meatheads together!

I've been working out for quite a while now, I used to be a gym instructor but really got into lifting weights when I was playing Rugby at school aged 15. Obviously my workout has changed a lot since then.

Like Eli, I train for power and explosiveness mostly but I also do a little bit of shameless muscle building. I do a lot of Olympic lifting for power like cleans and snatches and I hit squats and deadlifts pretty hard. I also do weighted chin ups and muscle ups for my upper body. My biggest meathead exercise is the bench press, love it and always will and I usually conclude my workout with an abs and plyometrics circuit. On top of that I do sprint training and I play a lot of 5 a side Soccer which helps with sprints and explosiveness in the legs.

Kelly, check out the 300 workout. You can't really do it at home as weights are involved but it's one of the hardest workouts I've ever done, I literally thought I was going to throw up after I did it.

VoodooUnicycles.com
KlownLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 07:39 PM   #14
mexico7
Unicyclist

I do 50 push ups every morning when i wake up usually excluding wedensdays.
i do 50 push ups every night before bed and 30 leg throws (i just use a chair instead of another person) which works both lower abs and upper abs.
i go to karate every day in the summer except sundays and every day in the fall/winter/spring except wedensdays and sundays. we do a lot of running (while holding medicine balls) as well as many push ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, and jumping jacks. we do some coniditioning and a kata called Sonchin which really helps with endurance strength and loosening and tightening of different muscles.
Next semester i have personal fitness in school again which means ill have access to weights, free weights and weight machines again this means ill be doing all the stuff i normally do plus bench press, chin ups, curls/concentrated curls, tricept dips and extensions, lat pulldowns, and incline sit ups what i do will depend what our teacher is training us for at the time (strength, power ,endurance, etc.)
As for diet....uhm i try and eat as much fruits and vegitables as i can. im not a vegitarian but i love fruit and eat quite a bit of it. i dont eat that much starch (excluding the school year when i have pb sammichs erey day fer lunch )...and rice....i loooovvvee rice <3.... and have relatively no dairy (dont drink milk, the most dairy i get is when ill have a yogurt for breakfast). i have a little bit of meat/fish for dinner and try not to eat potaotes. my big downfall is im a big snacker (i <3 granola bars). im going to try and stop that by next semester when fitness starts again

70cm high jump (rolling)
225cm long jump (rolling)
mexico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 10:58 PM   #15
Kelly Hickman
Unicyclist

Jason, Ill have to look into that 300 workout. Probably do it after I finish this Insanity video series. I figured I would do these two and then maybe P90X down the line also if I decide to spend the money or the weights and stuff, Ha.

KH.

Tags
diet, exercise, health, lifting, thread, workout