Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 447 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-12-18, 06:19 PM   #1396
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Much inspiring stuff here, but sad to read about accidents, injuries and even deaths.

When I opened Kris Holms Unicycling book, he states that this is potentially dangerous and can led to serious injuries and even death.

Just what have I gotten myself into?

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-18, 09:22 PM   #1397
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Much inspiring stuff here, but sad to read about accidents, injuries and even deaths.

When I opened Kris Holms Unicycling book, he states that this is potentially dangerous and can led to serious injuries and even death.

It just depends on how and where you ride. If you only ride distance then death is out of the question, as long as you are not mauled down by a car or truck ^_^. Doing stunts on factory chimneys hundreds of metres above the ground or along the edge of a dam, you must have a death wish. With careful riding and protection, the chance of serious injuries is pretty small I think.
My sis rides horses and she had a concussion twice even with a cap and once the horse fell on top of her, leaving her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The chance of being in such a situation on a uni is mighty small. (she thinks riding a uni is scary ^_^)
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-19, 02:21 AM   #1398
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
It just depends on how and where you ride. If you only ride distance then death is out of the question, as long as you are not mauled down by a car or truck ^_^. Doing stunts on factory chimneys hundreds of metres above the ground or along the edge of a dam, you must have a death wish. With careful riding and protection, the chance of serious injuries is pretty small I think.
My sis rides horses and she had a concussion twice even with a cap and once the horse fell on top of her, leaving her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The chance of being in such a situation on a uni is mighty small. (she thinks riding a uni is scary ^_^)
Some folks think I am a wild and crazy adventurer. In truth I would rather avoid high risk and remain free of serious injury to be able to continue taking on new interesting things.

I am definitely not fearless, one thing that terrifies me: riding in traffic. When I lived in a small town I would ride a motorcycle or bicycle everywhere for transportation, then I moved into a big city. Went through a lot of underwear and eventually took the cowards way out, and stuck to 4 wheels. I haven't ridden any form of cycle for transportation since.

Old 2017-12-19, 06:22 AM   #1399
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Pretty much any sport that involves moving vehicles. The vast amount of the deadly stuff is easy to avoid. Stay away from cliffs, cars, wild animals, etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
...and once the horse fell on top of her, leaving her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The chance of being in such a situation on a uni is mighty small.
Add horses to my list above.
Quote:
Went through a lot of underwear and eventually took the cowards way out, and stuck to 4 wheels.
I know what you mean. I used to work for a motorcycle school in Nassau County, NY, which has a larger population than 13 of the US states. Riding on roads with traffic is an act of faith. Even if you're playing by all the rules and riding as safely as possible, it only takes one idiot on their cell phone to potentially ruin your whole life.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-19, 06:52 AM   #1400
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Thanks for posting the article Joe. Greatly enjoyed it and lots of inspiration.
I think I'm going to be limited to riding my rowing machine this winter due to all the snow, rain, below 0F temps, etc. Makes for an awful lot of ice everywhere.
Hopefully, I'll be in shape to start practicing again next spring/summer.
oldfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-19, 08:49 AM   #1401
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Pretty much any sport that involves moving vehicles. The vast amount of the deadly stuff is easy to avoid. Stay away from cliffs, cars, wild animals, etc....
Add horses to my list above.
I know what you mean. I used to work for a motorcycle school in Nassau County, NY, which has a larger population than 13 of the US states. Riding on roads with traffic is an act of faith. Even if you're playing by all the rules and riding as safely as possible, it only takes one idiot on their cell phone to potentially ruin your whole life.
Horses have a mind of their own, any animal is unpredicatable. I don't want to be on one if it goes into panic mode etc.

I have known too many good people who ended up as statistics due to traffic mishaps. I had too many close calls before those things were around. The cell phone has to be the worst thing that has ever happened to driving. The replacement of most automobiles with 100% self driving computerized units can't happen soon enough. I am sure that the number of vehicular accidents would be dramatically reduced.

I would love to cycle as transportation, but don't want to risk becoming road pizza. Cycle theft is also a much bigger problem than car theft. When self driving cars becoming the norm, it would be a lot safer for everyone, especially cyclists.

While I am all for learning better control of the unicycle, I have a motorcycle trials background and love to challenge obstacles. Still, there are some things I would never do even if I had the skill. I am sure we have all seen the examples of those riding on a narrrow edge with a huge gravity cavity where failure equals certain death. I'll pass and increase my odds of being around for another day.

Old 2018-07-27, 06:26 PM   #1402
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

A local news story: Somerset unicyclist completes round-the-world trip
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-44977806

A British man has become the first person to unicycle around the world.

Ed Pratt, 21, set off from his home near Taunton, Somerset in March 2015 on his 21,000-mile (33,000 km) challenge.

The trip took 16 months longer than he had planned, and was suspended for months due to icy roads and being nearly hit by a car in Kazakhstan.

Mr Pratt has raised more than £300,000 for the School in a Bag charity which gives educational equipment to poor and vulnerable children around the world.

School in a Bag CEO Luke Simon said the charity was thrilled to have been part of Mr Pratt's "epic journey", adding that funds raised from his trip would directly help more than 15,000 children.

His parents, Nick and Roxanne Pratt, said: "He left school in search of a challenge and adventure. Anyone who has followed his journey around the world will know that he has created just that."

Mr Pratt's trip took him through Europe and the Middle East into Asia, across to Australia and New Zealand, before moving on to the USA and back to the UK.

He ended his challenge on Friday by unicycling through a finish line at the School in a Bag head office in Somerset.

Tags
articles, unicycle, wait