Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 447 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 2003-11-10, 08:03 PM   #76
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
EXTREME UNICYCLIST

Alexa Moses
379 words
5 November 2003
The Sydney Morning Herald
English
© 2003 Copyright John Fairfax Holdings Limited. www.smh.com.au Not available for re-distribution.

I ride therefore i am

Alex Toms's obsession doesn't need to be talked up. To get his jollies, the 17-year-old from Campbelltown rides down rough mountain tracks, travels on the edges of bridges or hops over gaps - on his trusty unicycle.

"It's extreme unicycling," Toms says. "I wear a helmet when I mountain-cycle because it's pretty crazy. We used to go without protection and I've concussed myself, which was serious."

He took up unicycling when he was 14, as part of a circus arts course at the Campbelltown Performing Arts High School, where he's doing his HSC. Nowadays, he relaxes by unicycling around Campbelltown and the city with his mates, ignoring the stares of riders on conventional two-wheelers.

"Bikers, I'm not sure what they think of us," he says. "Both sports are really similar. Unicycling isn't as extreme as cycling but it's much more difficult. You can't go backflipping on a unicycle, like bikes. But a bike is just too easy now."

Toms competed recently in the national unicycle trials, where he took the Australian records for high jump and long jump. You high-jump on a unicycle, he explains, by bouncing on the unicycle like bunny-hopping on a standard bike. The aim is to get over the high bar and ride away without falling over.

Tips for would-be unicyclists?

"Unicycles have fixed pedals. Which means you can't stop pedalling and keep moving. If you stop pedalling, you stop. Most of them don't have brakes. So you don't want to go that fast."

Toms says he wishes he could learn to ride his unicycle again because the learning stages were fun.

"But I got into bad habits thinking it was a bicycle. It was hard to let go of the bike feel and learn the Unicycle Way."

Zen and the art of unicycle maintenance, maybe?

"Yes, it's very spiritual," he says.

For the 10 unicycling skill levels of the Unicycling Society of America visit www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/skills.html

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 08:06 PM   #77
JJuggle

A Book (not) to read?

So many jerks, so little time.

Little moments in Gotham

Reviewed by John McMurtrie
Chronicle Staff Writer
542 words
2 November 2003
The San Francisco Chronicle
FINAL
M.2
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

The Colossus of New York

A City in Thirteen Parts

By Colson Whitehead

DOUBLEDAY; 158 PAGES; $19.95

-------------------------------

For a brisk, freeform book that weighs in at a mere 158 pages, the grandiose title "The Colossus of New York" is only slightly less lofty than the Big Apple's top-of-the-world ego.

In trying to capture the majesty and complexity of his native city, novelist Colson Whitehead has written 13 nonfiction chapters that read as a stream-of-consciousness riff, an impressionistic take on a place whose mutability, as he points out, makes it hard to pin down.

At its best, "Colossus" illuminates innumerable little moments that define the city. "A man hands out leaflets," Whitehead writes in a chapter on Times Square, "and they shun him as if he held a sheaf of virus and not merely advertisements for discount prosthetics."

At its worst, the book strays toward overly grand and groovy pronouncements. "Hit the town. It hits back," Whitehead muses in a chapter on nightlife downtown. (The world-weary voice, one of several he adopts, is especially precious for a writer who is 33 years old.) Times Square, meanwhile, inspires this unironic insight (cue the smooth jazz): "Oh, the lights. At night you need shades."

Being a New Yorker, Whitehead, author of "The Intuitionist" and "John Henry Days," brings a New York attitude to his enterprise. It's only appropriate, of course, but one senses that he's striving extra hard to play the part of the urban misanthrope who loves his city but not its inhabitants. He dishes out unimaginative put-downs for "the jerk at the intersection," "some jerk on a unicycle," "fools" who wade in fountains and "him again, that rheumy bitch" on the subway.

Thankfully, "Colossus" has flashes of keenly observed and mordant humor. Writing in the second person, he paints a vivid picture of the gloomy, neurotic underworld of the subway: "Look down the tunnel one more time and your behavior will describe a psychiatric disorder. It's infectious." Of the advertisements staring out at riders, he observes: "Along the fungi hall of fame we are introduced to ailments. Has anybody ever in history copied down the phone number of the dermatologist with the sinister name."

Though what he's written is, at heart, a love letter to New York, Whitehead, oddly, makes no reference to the devastation brought about by the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. But he does reflect on the impermanence of place: "One day the city we built will be gone, and when it goes, we go. When the buildings fall, we topple, too."

What best emerges from Whitehead's book is a sense of New York as a living, breathing entity, a benign force that always looks after its own:

"You say you know these streets pretty well? The city knows you better than any living person because it has seen you when you are alone. It saw you steeling yourself for the job interview, slowly walking home after the late date, tripping over nonexistent impediments on the sidewalk. . . . The city saw all that. Remembers, too."

E-mail John McMurtrie at jmcmurtrie@sfchronicle.com.

Document SFC0000020031102dzb20000u

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
Old 2003-11-11, 08:08 AM   #78
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

Re: Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:06:55 -0600, JJuggle
<JJuggle@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>So many jerks, so little time.

Gosh, that was hidden!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray. - UniBrier

Old 2003-11-11, 07:26 PM   #79
unibabyguy
In Gazz We Trust

Powdersville students find niche as unicyclists (with picture)
unibabyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 07:29 PM   #80
unibabyguy
In Gazz We Trust

Hey Joe, Try This (picture of newbie trying to ride)
unibabyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 07:30 PM   #81
JJuggle

Re: Re: Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaas Bil
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:06:55 -0600, JJuggle

>So many jerks, so little time.

Gosh, that was hidden!
Yes, and in plain view.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
Old 2003-11-11, 07:34 PM   #82
JJuggle

Nice one. Thanks for that and the "Hey Joe" photo.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
Old 2003-11-24, 02:18 PM   #83
JJuggle

I myself am at this moment awaiting a UPS delivery from Unicycle.com.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

==============================================
UPS and The UPS Store Stand Ready for Holiday Shipping.

1,245 words
19 November 2003
Pressi.com
English
(c) Copyright 2003 by www.pressi.com

More Than 300 Million Packages Expected During Peak Season ATLANTA, Nov. 18, 2003 - For the second straight year, the calendar has thrown UPS (NYSE: UPS) and a bevy of holiday shoppers and shippers a short holiday season. But with more players on the team, including more than 3,100 newly branded The UPS Store retail locations, UPS is ready to deliver more than 300 million packages during the holidays. Thanksgiving falls on Nov. 27 this year, leaving just 18 delivery days during that peak" period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. While that's one day more than 2002, it still means holiday shippers can't delay too long with their packages. And it also means UPS is taking steps to highlight various options that make the shipping process faster, easier and more efficient. Most customers who used to drive across town to pack and ship their gifts can find UPS right around the corner at The UPS Store in their neighborhood," said Rocky Romanella, vice president, UPS Retail Services.

The 3,100 U.S. locations of The UPS Store not only provide customers holiday convenience, but also lower UPS shipping prices." UPS is no stranger to the retail sector. UPS synchronizes the movement of goods to store shelves and homes for major retailers, catalogers and e-tailers such as Best Buy, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Lands' End and Amazon.com. Additionally, small businesses like Unicycle.com, which nets 40 percent of its annual sales during November and December, count on UPS to conquer the holiday crunch just as large retailers do. UPS has been critical to our success since I first began selling unicycles from my basement three years ago," said John Drummond, the founder of Unicyle.com. UPS's technology is as vital to helping us fulfill the surge of orders as the drivers are to delivering them. In fact, it has enabled us to recently start another online business called Banjo.com."...

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
Old 2003-11-24, 06:18 PM   #84
psycholist
Newsgroup User

I am, too.

"psycholist"

"JJuggle" <JJuggle@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:JJuggle.xejod@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com...
>
> I myself am at this moment awaiting a UPS delivery from Unicycle.com.
>
>
> Raphael Lasar
> Matawan, NJ
>
> ==============================================
> *UPS and The UPS Store Stand Ready for Holiday Shipping.*
>
> 1,245 words
> 19 November 2003
> Pressi.com
> English
> (c) Copyright 2003 by www.pressi.com
>
> More Than 300 Million Packages Expected During Peak Season ATLANTA, Nov.
> 18, 2003 - For the second straight year, the calendar has thrown UPS
> (NYSE: UPS) and a bevy of holiday shoppers and shippers a short holiday
> season. But with more players on the team, including more than 3,100
> newly branded The UPS Store retail locations, UPS is ready to deliver
> more than 300 million packages during the holidays. Thanksgiving falls
> on Nov. 27 this year, leaving just 18 delivery days during that peak"
> period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. While that's one day more
> than 2002, it still means holiday shippers can't delay too long with
> their packages. And it also means UPS is taking steps to highlight
> various options that make the shipping process faster, easier and more
> efficient. Most customers who used to drive across town to pack and ship
> their gifts can find UPS right around the corner at The UPS Store in
> their neighborhood," said Rocky Romanella, vice president, UPS Retail
> Services.
>
> The 3,100 U.S. locations of The UPS Store not only provide customers
> holiday convenience, but also lower UPS shipping prices." UPS is no
> stranger to the retail sector. UPS synchronizes the movement of goods to
> store shelves and homes for major retailers, catalogers and e-tailers
> such as Best Buy, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Lands' End and
> Amazon.com. Additionally, small businesses like *'Unicycle.com'
> (http://www.unicycle.com)*, which nets 40 percent of its annual sales
> during November and December, count on UPS to conquer the holiday crunch
> just as large retailers do. UPS has been critical to our success since I
> first began selling unicycles from my basement three years ago," said
> John Drummond, the founder of Unicyle.com. UPS's technology is as vital
> to helping us fulfill the surge of orders as the drivers are to
> delivering them. In fact, it has enabled us to recently start another
> online business called *'Banjo.com' (http://www.banjo.com)*."...
>
>
> --
> JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists
>
> ..and when she passes she smiles, but she doesn't see.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/22148
>

Old 2003-11-25, 08:33 AM   #85
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:30:13 -0600, JJuggle

>Klaas Bil wrote:
>> *On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:06:55 -0600, JJuggle
>> <JJuggle@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
>>
>> >So many jerks, so little time.

>>
>> Gosh, that was hidden!
>> *

>Yes, and in plain view.
>
>Raphael Lasar
>Matawan, NJ

I'm not sure you understood my comment, nor am I sure I understood
yours. I meant to say that the string 'unicycl' was hidden somewhere
in that long text.

I usually read via the newgroup as you will know. But just yesterday I
saw your latest contribution in this thread on the forum, and I
noticed the search word appears in bold font. I never knew about that
formatting on the forum, but it certainly detracts from the
hiddenness.

So now I would say, paraphrasing both of our comments: "Gosh, that was
hidden in plain ASCII view!"

--
"My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder"

Old 2003-12-02, 01:05 PM   #86
JJuggle

Tricky ride for children in need

the staff of the North Yorkshire Advertiser
209 words
2 December 2003
Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
English
© Copyright 2003 Newsquest Digital Media.

The North East

Unicyclists Jason Ayre, left, 12, and Alex McAulay, 13, of Richmond

TWO school friends have put their circus skills to good use by going on a sponsored unicycle ride.

Alex McAulay, 13, of Skeeby, near Richmond, and Jason Ayre, 12, of Richmond raised £170 for Children in Need when they unicycled 4.4 miles from the town's Holly Hill Inn to the village of Downholme on Saturday, November 22.

They learnt to unicycle at Richmond School's circus club and can also juggle and play unicycle hockey.

Alex said: "It was hard work and quite tiring but it was worth it. We will probably do it again next year, but go there and back instead of just one way.

"The circus club is really good fun and we played unicycle hockey against the British champions last month. We even beat them in a couple of games."

The pair aimed to raise even more money for Children in Need by organising a stall at Richmond School Fair last Thursday night and making their school friends guess how long the sponsored ride took them to complete.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
Old 2003-12-02, 01:12 PM   #87
JJuggle

WHERE THERE'S A WHEEL...

By JOHN MYERS.
657 words
24 November 2003
Evening Standard
English
(c) 2003 The Evening Standard, INL

IT'S arguable that freestyle BMX came out of the circus ring and on to the streets and tracks. Can the unicycle do the same thing?

Can it be the next weird thing after the skateboard, rollerblades and (just landing) Heelys? Will they be just as popular with the ACC?

Steve Pavarno of Palmerston North, and a couple of fellow exponents from Auckland, are planning to make it work. They're on the way to setting up their business - unicycle.co.nz, the Kiwi end of United States-based unicycle.com - and Steve has been through a 14-part Biz training course with small business adviser Sandra Anderson.

The incentive?

"It's free, government-funded business training - and I needed it."

And he says he got a lot of valuable knowledge out of it, both from the courses and from rubbing off with people setting out on their own business ventures.

"It's a really impressive set-up - we usually had 20 or 25 at the sessions, and soon there were a lot of familiar faces and good cameraderie."

Steve - it's a little hard to think of a guy who uses a unicycle like most people use shoes as "Mr Pavarno", even if Wellington has no problems with high-profile unicycling house surgeon Dr Ken Looi - has a Massey degree in computer science. He also has a business background in his own website development operation. That experience has gone into building unicycle.co.nz as an internet-based retail, information and promotional business, with its trading base in Palmerston North.

The administration structure and company governance, with fellow directors Peter Bier and Tony Melton in Auckland, is also web based.

Steve is "general manager" primarily because his fellow directors and unicyclists have too much on their individual plates. Mr Bier is a biotechnologist working on a project to teach a computer to replicate the human larynx (voice box). Mr Melton is an honours graduate in chemistry.

All three are nuts about unicycles, and took the step of forming the company because of the costs and time delays they and like-minded one-wheelers faced to get quality gear in from the United States.

"I suppose there's always the chance we'll wind up being our own best customers," he says.

But so far, with a half-tonne of unicycles having arrived this month, it's looking good.

Steve can often be seen unicycling around the city, or doing longer trips around the region in preparation for a coming Taupo distance event.

"I did Bunnythorpe and back last weekend. Traffic doesn't know what to do with a unicycle."

Unicycles, says Steve, are not just playground toys - though that's as a good a place as any to start. The various "styles" extend from commuter to freestyle (stunts), trail riding, trials (obstacles) and extreme mountain (muni) unicycle.

While there have been small groups around the country, on and off, he believes the unicycle has suffered from lack of a national body - and that's something the trio are working to correct. The proposed NZ Unicycle Federation is advancing as a web-based project advancing at unicycle.org.nz.

He's working with schools, presenting the unicycle as an achievable, impressive skill and a co-ordination developer.

"It's a great self-esteem booster - `Wow! I can do it!' - for students who might not be great academic achievers, and its a strength-and fitness-builder.

"A lot of people who can handle a BMX can be riding a unicycle, the basics, in about 20 minutes," Steve says.

He's just landed a 10-unicycle order from a school. But he's expecting the main business will come from the growing extreme sport unicycle community.

A regular fun and promotional event is Saturday morning beginner lessons and unicycle hockey at the Memorial Park skating rink, picking up a growing following.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
Old 2003-12-02, 10:33 PM   #88
hole-in-my-shoe
getting bigger

Quote:
Originally posted by JJuggle

The naked truth: Strickland once joked that as the lawyer for the student body at the University of Virginia, she probably represented more streakers than any other attorney in the United States. She suspects she can still claim that. She remembers one client who was caught after riding a unicycle - naked.
Yet another reason why you shouldn't buy a used unicycle on Ebay - you don't know where it's been.
hole-in-my-shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 08:13 AM   #89
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:12:07 -0600, JJuggle

>"A lot of people who can handle a BMX can be riding a unicycle, the
>basics, in about 20 minutes," Steve says.

Sales talk, that.
I guess many learners are in for a deception.

--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

Old 2003-12-09, 03:18 PM   #90
JJuggle

It'S One Wheel For Matt.

164 words
4 December 2003
North Devon Journal
English
(c) 2003 North Devon Journal

Is one wheel better than two? Matt Lemon, 29, from Braunton thinks so. Instead of a bike he pedals to work on a unicycle.

He admits to falling off "only occasionally". Adding: "You have to start from scratch, its just like riding a bike. Practice makes perfect." After parking his car on the outskirts of Barnstaple, it only takes him about four minutes to get to work at Our Price. Otherwise it would take him 10 minutes to walk.

Matt loves the attention and even rides the unicycle to pick up his Indian takeaway in Braunton.

Stilt-walking and fire-juggling are also part of his repertoire. His juggling has taken him to exotic locations like Ibiza and Malta and he is a regular juggler at Glastonbury music festival.

Matt said: "I have actually played unicycle hockey before which was great, so if there's anyone out there that's interested I'd love to know about them."

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine

Tags
articles, unicycle, wait