Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-03-05, 03:58 PM   #1
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
2009 Kris Holm Schlumpf Muni Hub **Per Orders**

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1197

Discuss
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 05:06 PM   #2
siafirede
Flex Your Head

This should prob. go in RSU as I see this as big news. They are lengthening the ISIS axle which is a HUGE plus. It just kind of sucks that the older muni hubs won't have this longer axle. With the current set up we are pretty much forced to use KH Moments bc other crank arms do not seem to fit. I would love a longer ISIS axle on my kh/schlumpf hub so that I could run lighter weight ISIS cranks.
Old 2009-03-05, 05:16 PM   #3
osmundo
Osmundo

My 36er super guni has transformed my Cokering. I can't imagine going back to a non-geared 36er. I go farther, faster and with twice as much fun as before, especially on those fast and furious mountain descents. The price is unfathomable to anyone not involved in unicycling but for me it has been worth every penny.
osmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 08:46 PM   #4
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
Thus I will let someone else post it in RSU. Enjoy.

ahah... you allready did it... cool.

Last edited by UniKid2; 2009-03-05 at 08:48 PM.
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 11:17 PM   #5
Michaelgoround
John 15:13

If I was into Muni I would definately have to get that!
Michaelgoround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 11:49 PM   #6
phlegm
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmundo View Post
twice as much fun as before
That's odd. I sold mine because I feel that I have just as much fun without it, and I don't have to deal with the maintenance and possibility of failed bearings.

I had light Qu-ax 114s on mine for a couple weeks while training for RTL and didn't have any problems with frame clearance.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 05:09 AM   #7
osmundo
Osmundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
That's odd. I sold mine because I feel that I have just as much fun without it, and I don't have to deal with the maintenance and possibility of failed bearings.

I had light Qu-ax 114s on mine for a couple weeks while training for RTL and didn't have any problems with frame clearance.
Yea, really, twice as much. I friggin love crankin' that gear! I also love hill climbs, but the slow, arduous decents were really bummin me out and I found myself always choosing to muni instead of coker. I think cokering was getting a little boring. Now with the gear it is opposite, as in I am choosing to push the speed of the guni, (still like to muni, though).

I haven't had any major mechanical issues with my hub, (yet?). Knock on wood. It shifts smoothly so far and I have added oil once in a year.

You had 114s on a geared unicycle? Thats pretty short. I tried the Qu-ax on my KH/schlumph and they never got tight enough then I stripped them. I wouldn't mind running lighter cranks myself.

Last edited by osmundo; 2009-03-06 at 05:11 AM.
osmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 05:53 AM   #8
uninorcal
The Legit Way

That hub could buy me almost two Kris Holm unicycles. But I will not deny the awesomeness of that hub, it really is innovative!

-Peace
uninorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 06:09 AM   #9
phlegm
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmundo View Post
You had 114s on a geared unicycle? Thats pretty short. I tried the Qu-ax on my KH/schlumph and they never got tight enough then I stripped them. I wouldn't mind running lighter cranks myself.
I had them on a geared KH29. I had them cranked on at the recommended torque. I rode that setup up and down Mount Umunhum when I was training for RTL, but I wouldn't do it again. That's what convinced me to use 125s for RTL. Granted, 114s in high gear on the 29er felt really good on flat and mild downhill roads.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 08:38 PM   #10
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

How long will it last before it breaks?

Any estimates on when this hub will be available as machine built?

Still a whole lota dough for a hub. A complete KH Guni for $1350 would be okay
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 11:24 PM   #11
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
How long will it last before it breaks?

Any estimates on when this hub will be available as machine built?

Still a whole lota dough for a hub. A complete KH Guni for $1350 would be okay
5 year warranty on the hub.

I have never had any problems with mine, I did send it in to get the upgraded parts though and there was a wait to get it back.

My guess is that unless road/mountain unicycling becomes a LOT more popular that the hub will never be machine built. I wouldn't wait for it to become machine built, but in the past year it looks like Florian has made some slight adjustments to the hub (stronger planet carrier, beefier bearings, and now a longer ISIS axle (which I wish I had)).

I love my geared 36, and my geared 29 was also a lot of fun. If it wasn't for the geared hub I think I would have been burned out on distance unicycling and given it up. I definitely think it is worth the money. You also get a really cool hat with it!
Old 2009-03-11, 04:08 PM   #12
net_hippy
Lord of the Manor

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is different about this hub compared to the current KH/Schlumpf hub?
Mitch Hedberg - "I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an escalator temporarily out of order sign, only an escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
net_hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 05:34 PM   #13
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Current hub: the ISIS axle is too short for anything other than KH moments. I have tried other ISIS cranks and they end up hitting the frame. Others have had success with lightweight qu-ax isis cranks, but most find that they tighten onto the frame or cause problems.

New hub: The ISIS axle has been lengthened (supposedly, i only see mention of this on UDC's page). This would allow (hopefully) for other ISIS crank arms to be used without them interfering with the frame.

Tags
2009, holm, hub, kris, muni, orders, schlumpf