Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-13, 11:41 PM   #1
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Dropped a ton of weight

Since I took on unicycling last year, I have dropped from too close to 400 lb, to under 300 lb so far. I used to be a serious weightlifter with a big appetite. Hoping to continue to get lighter and leaner and be able to put in longer practice sessions more frequently.

I have a lot more stamina and better recovery ability than when I started. Changed diet too, now avoid sugar, fats, oils, salt, white flour, red meat, pork as much as possible while loading up on plenty of fruits, berries, and veggies and whole grains.

Anyone else start out unicycling big and heavy?

What was it like for you?
Old 2018-01-14, 12:27 AM   #2
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I wasn't really heavy but I did lose a few kilograms quite quickly. Unfortunately due to work commitments, then an injury, then illness and then intense hot weather I have not ridden much for three months. Combine that with Christmas and I have put a few kilos back on.

BTW Don't get too obsessed about avoiding oils. Your body does need them. Olive oil is actually quite good for you.
Old 2018-01-14, 02:54 AM   #3
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

I just dropped all my muscle because I enjoyed riding more than the gym. It was very sad.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 04:45 AM   #4
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

You have had a bit of a stretch of rough luck. I hope things get better for you soon.

A long time ago I was very lean semi-vegetarian, I got ripped avoiding fats and oils. Then I got a job in a health food store, land of endless contradictory information. There I got convinced to add nutritional oils to my diet, and the pounds packed on no matter how much exercise I did. My energy and stamina also dropped significantly.

The low carb fad being pushed was very harmful to me. Every time I tried any version of it, my weight went up, energy went down and I felt miserable. Maybe it works for some people, for me every time it was just a disaster. There are claims out there that coconut oil, MCT's, CLA, and some other oils all make your body burn off fat. The scientific paperwork might say so, but my body did not cooperate with these claims.

So I went back to avoiding adding in oils and fats, and going for the leanest high fiber fresh foods, and I have been consistently dropping around 1/2 lb per day, more if I exercise hard. As far as I am concerned, there is far more fat, oil, sugar and salt than we need in the food we eat. Natural foods have more than we need and any food product with those things added puts excessive amounts into our bodies.

I would only add extra salt or fat into my diet if a medical test proves I need it. Our bodies need fats and oils, but I think I get more than I need from occaisionally eating fish, nuts, olives, avocados, etc. My body has plenty of fat on it to feed itself on.

When I made these changes, I noticed with a week I had a hell of a lot more stamina, which helped other exercising a lot. Weather is not conducive to unicycling lately, and annual Christmas Cult festivities takes up a lot of time. People told me my face had better color and I no longer look tired.

Up until this year I have always packed on unwanted poundage in December mainly due to Christmas, sometimes quite a bit. This year I refused to partake in the over eating and crap food and drink that goes with it, and I dropped over 10lb in December.

I intend to always be very strict with what I consume and put into my body. I want all the excess fat gone for good, and will not risk doing anything that might put it back on.

Avoiding buying and using fats, oils, salts, and sugar in my food as a significant money saver that makes me healthier and leaner. A nice boost to the unicycle fund.
Old 2018-01-14, 09:37 AM   #5
Chimeara
Chimeara

Weight loss

I bought my first 20" Unicycle in Feb 2017. My weight was 13st 9lb 34" waist.
I then spent two weeks learning to ride it usually two ten or fifteen sessions a day. At the end of of those sessions i would be dripping in sweat and worn out.
Roll forward 10 months i ride approx 30/40 miles a week on a 36" my weight is is 11st 4lb waist 31". I am now learning to ride backwards and have noticed my fitness is no longer an issue for how long i practice i will typically practice for 45/60 mins. To be honest i have not felt as fit for 30 years. As far as diet goes i have stopped eating biscuits apart from an occasional one or two. i dont really eat junk food ie takeaways. But pretty much anything else goes. I am not really a drinker either but i was'nt before Unicycling so no difference there.
My joints feel a lot better for carrying less weight so yours from 400lb to less than than 300lb must be feeling fantastic. Good luck and keep it up.

Regards Phil.
Chimeara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 10:04 AM   #6
pierrox
Unicyclist

That's pretty impressive!
It surely wasn't easy to stick with an unconventional diet during xmas, and I don't know how it is in the area where you live, but congrats on sticking to it. It's more work as you can't just open a can or a box, sometimes it's more expensive as fresh quality ingredients don't come as cheap as a burger - one of the tragedies of this world, leading to pandemic morbid obesity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
As far as I am concerned, there is far more fat, oil, sugar and salt than we need in the food we eat. Natural foods have more than we need and any food product with those things added puts excessive amounts into our bodies.
Totally with you on that one.
Have you seen this film?
http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 11:36 AM   #7
fetzenschorsch
Peace on Earth Unicycle Club

Paleo Cycling

5 years ago, I took up a Paleo Diet (not strictly).
The thing, which convinced me most was, that native people (e.g. Inuits or Aborigines) are commonly lean. But when they switch to our "western" diet they get fat.
I don`t want to open up a discussion about different diets, because it is no religion, as it is often treated. For me the conclusion is to eat no ready-made food, no fast or junk food and no useless sugars as sweets or soft drinks.
Short after starting my diet, I started with cycling/unicycling. You can see the result in the two pictures below.
Now I`m looking a lot older. But I think it is because I worried too much about freemounting a unicycle;-)
George
Attached Images

Old 2018-01-14, 06:59 PM   #8
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
I bought my first 20" Unicycle in Feb 2017. My weight was 13st 9lb 34" waist.
I then spent two weeks learning to ride it usually two ten or fifteen sessions a day. At the end of of those sessions i would be dripping in sweat and worn out.
Roll forward 10 months i ride approx 30/40 miles a week on a 36" my weight is is 11st 4lb waist 31". I am now learning to ride backwards and have noticed my fitness is no longer an issue for how long i practice i will typically practice for 45/60 mins. To be honest i have not felt as fit for 30 years. As far as diet goes i have stopped eating biscuits apart from an occasional one or two. i dont really eat junk food ie takeaways. But pretty much anything else goes. I am not really a drinker either but i was'nt before Unicycling so no difference there.
My joints feel a lot better for carrying less weight so yours from 400lb to less than than 300lb must be feeling fantastic. Good luck and keep it up.

Regards Phil.
Thanks Phil,

I feel better, but far from fantastic. The first time I tried to put in a serious practice session, I was sore all over for a week, could not do my other exercises, but after that week I was down 5 pounds. I could practice more with lower bodyweight and the diet change, but still had to be careful not to overdo it. Since I damaged my good KH uni I took a break from unicycling due to winter, Christmas, etc. I did my other exercises, and will be getting back at it with significantly less bodyweight, so it should go a lot better.

They way you desribe your fitness from unicycling, a struggle at first, then being able to do it regularly without stamina being an issue. That is what motivates me to do this. It is a struggle now, but I see in the future the balance and stamina will eventually not be an issue, and my body will be much leaner, stronger and healthier for it. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 2018-01-14, 07:10 PM   #9
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
That's pretty impressive!
It surely wasn't easy to stick with an unconventional diet during xmas, and I don't know how it is in the area where you live, but congrats on sticking to it. It's more work as you can't just open a can or a box, sometimes it's more expensive as fresh quality ingredients don't come as cheap as a burger - one of the tragedies of this world, leading to pandemic morbid obesity...

Totally with you on that one.
Have you seen this film?
http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home
I haven't seen that one, but sugar was the first thing I cut out. I do not consider fruits and berries to be sugar. I added them back into my diet after dumping the low carb fad. I also added in carefull selected whole grain breads. All the fibre contributes to weight loss and appetite control.

I find that this way of eating costs me less. Beans and tofu cost much less than beef and pork, combined with rice is supposed to be complete protein. I don't eat the yolks in my eggs, just the whites. Occaisionally fish and chicken.

I used to spend a lot on coconut oil, omega 3 fish oil, olive oil, primrose oil, etc. Now I don't spend anything on any of that.
Old 2018-01-14, 07:26 PM   #10
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
5 years ago, I took up a Paleo Diet (not strictly).
The thing, which convinced me most was, that native people (e.g. Inuits or Aborigines) are commonly lean. But when they switch to our "western" diet they get fat.
I don`t want to open up a discussion about different diets, because it is no religion, as it is often treated. For me the conclusion is to eat no ready-made food, no fast or junk food and no useless sugars as sweets or soft drinks.
Short after starting my diet, I started with cycling/unicycling. You can see the result in the two pictures below.
Now I`m looking a lot older. But I think it is because I worried too much about freemounting a unicycle;-)
George
Inuit were defintely not healthy on their traditional diet. They survived, but they did not thrive. Many first nations people in Canada and the USA depending on the dietary habits of the tribe, rarely lived to 40 on their traditional diets. Many of the ones I know, really struggle with their weight and health, and they are living much longer than their ancestors did.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/apr/eskimos.htm
Old 2018-01-15, 12:12 PM   #11
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I have a lot more stamina and better recovery ability than when I started. Changed diet too, now avoid sugar, fats, oils, salt, white flour, red meat, pork as much as possible while loading up on plenty of fruits, berries, and veggies and whole grains.

Anyone else start out unicycling big and heavy?

What was it like for you?
I would say it is purely your diet change. I've been riding uni for 2 years and don't eat that healthy. I love pizza and I know I should stay away from all the sugary things, but I've only gained wait. I stopped going to the gym when I started riding, since I figured I got enough motion, but then winters come and it is dark and cold and I don't feel like going for a ride, so now I signed up at the gym again 2 weeks ago. Still have to work on my diet.
Being a bit lighter will prolly also be better for the unicycles.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-15, 12:35 PM   #12
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I would say it is purely your diet change. I've been riding uni for 2 years and don't eat that healthy. I love pizza and I know I should stay away from all the sugary things, but I've only gained wait.
A lot depends on the terrain. Riding along the flat doesn't expend a lot of energy once the rider has learnt to be efficient but gradients above ten percent certainly do.

When I ride I can eat nearly anything without gaining weight.

But tonight I went for my first ride in a month, and only the fourth in four months. I stayed mostly on the flatter part of the course but I was quite surprised. It was one of the smoothest rides I can remember on the 36 and I did the whole fourteen kilometres in just over an hour without a dismount right until the end. I don't think I have ever done that before.

I certainly didn't have the strength I had four months ago when I was getting close to pushing it up the steepest hills but I did easily get up and over a section that regularly gives me trouble. It was a pleasant surprise.
Old 2018-01-15, 02:54 PM   #13
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

This summer I ended up weighting 80 kg which is a bit too much for me (I am 1.76 tall now -lost about 1cm-). [sorry to be metric but I don't know how to use stones]
So I decided it was time to loose weight ... and I lost 6 kg in about 2 months.

How? Well I don't know exactly ... I love cooking, I love chocolate (dark one) ... and still didn't follow a specific diet (I really enjoy food!) ... I just decided to lose weight and I think I scared my (electronic) scales machine
I tend to think that specific diets just operate through your fancy ... (well except if you overfeed yourself with burgers and soft drinks)
Old 2018-01-16, 04:08 PM   #14
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Inuit were defintely not healthy on their traditional diet. They survived, but they did not thrive. Many first nations people in Canada and the USA depending on the dietary habits of the tribe, rarely lived to 40 on their traditional diets. Many of the ones I know, really struggle with their weight and health, and they are living much longer than their ancestors did.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/apr/eskimos.htm
I no longer know what to make of the various dieting schemes that come and go. I once got into a long conversation with a nutritionist in the park who told me that expert opinion on the ideal balance of the three macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein and fat) is changing all the time. That confirmed the impression I had from seeing the 1990s low fat craze get replaced by all sorts of “paleo” diets. They seemed like they might just be part of a thinly-disguised attempt by the beef industry to reconquer lost ground.

The US obesity epidemic, which is among the world’s most severe, is concentrated in parts of the country where people are poor. There is a lot of it on Indian reservations and in ghettos, in the Deep South and in Puerto Rico, though some places in Africa, where the people are even poorer, have obesity rates that are close to zero, so I guess there is a certain exceptionalism to American malnutrition.

Oh well, unicycling is light to moderate exercise for me, unless I climb hills or hop up a lot of stairs, so it hasn't had a noticeable impact on my fitness level or -when needed- weight loss. An intense daily game of soccer or basketball would probably get you into better shape.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-17, 03:05 AM   #15
Up Rite
Unicyclist in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
I no longer know what to make of the various dieting schemes that come and go. I once got into a long conversation with a nutritionist in the park who told me that expert opinion on the ideal balance of the three macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein and fat) is changing all the time. That confirmed the impression I had from seeing the 1990s low fat craze get replaced by all sorts of “paleo” diets. They seemed like they might just be part of a thinly-disguised attempt by the beef industry to reconquer lost ground.

The US obesity epidemic, which is among the world’s most severe, is concentrated in parts of the country where people are poor. There is a lot of it on Indian reservations and in ghettos, in the Deep South and in Puerto Rico, though some places in Africa, where the people are even poorer, have obesity rates that are close to zero, so I guess there is a certain exceptionalism to American malnutrition.

Oh well, unicycling is light to moderate exercise for me, unless I climb hills or hop up a lot of stairs, so it hasn't had a noticeable impact on my fitness level or -when needed- weight loss. An intense daily game of soccer or basketball would probably get you into better shape.
As a beginner I find unicycling a very tough workout. Perhaps after you master it so the basics are second nature you can do it relaxed. I went out yesterday to get the routine started for this year, on a uni I like much less than the KH trial, and I feel it all over. I find unicycling far more demanding and interesting than soccer or baketball, and many other forms of exercise.

So far as nutrition information, I say the industry is in constant flux and contradiction. They are more concerned about turning a profit from selling their wares than helping anyone get healthy. I think most of the non injury related stuff peddled by doctors, pharmaceutical companies and health food stores are attempted antidotes for our bad diets and the lousy artifical food like products we are poisoned with.

What kept me lean, high energy with low need for sleep long ago was a high whole grain and bean diet while avoiding fats and oils, and sugars, generous with fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, dairy and eggs. Then I worked in health food stores where they insisted that I buy oils and add them to my diet, and lower carbs. My bodyfat started to go up.

Good whole grains, are rich in fiber and other nutrients. Oils are concentrated calories. Low carb NEVER worked for me. What I see in the people that are culturally forced into low carb high fat diets, their people when young are muscular and lean. They age quickly, get maladies such as clogged arteries, fragile bones, cancer, arthritis, diabetes, morbid obesity, and die early in poor health. Same for those that choose to adopt it by choice.

After years of working in that industry, I would be at health conferences and listen to contradictory information and health experts with best selling books arguing with each other. It got to the point where I no longer wanted to hear or read anything anymore.

Tags
dropped, ton, weight