Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-04-05, 08:47 AM   #121
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
On the unit trainer page, they claim that many unicycle movements have been learned much faster.
Supplement manufacturers all say that you build way more muscle on their supplements also. It doesn't mean it is necessarily true.

Quote:
I picked up several used unicycles from people when I started. some of them tried a few times and then their unicycles collected dust. A lot of the sellers put in long hours of regular consistent practice and could not pick it up. One guy claimed to put in 3 years before he gave up, and he read this forum trying to figure it out.

I am guessing that over half of those who buy unicycles put in a serious stubborn long term effort and fail to learn to do it.
I think more likely 85% of people who buy unicycles put in very little effort to try it. They try once feel it is impossible and dont give it a serious go (largely due to not knowing how)

Of all the learners I have seen try unicycling only one person has failed to learn after consistent practice, and even then it wasn't "long hours". She is probably the only person I have seen out of about 50 learners that I would say may not have the ability to learn to ride and that is due to extremely high levels of fear. I am yet to see any other learner not get it with regular consistent practice. .

Quote:
Showing a hot shot doing amazing things on a unicycle, then the inspired people trying it struggle to even go in a straight line with current training methods. What happens? A few will get it, lot of them will hate it, and give up. More unsellable unicycles on craigslist, yard sales, etc.
Seeing hot shots do crazy tricks showed me that just riding it must be very doable. Yes it feels impossible but if that crazy trick is possible then just riding must just require practice..

Quote:
Most of the used unicycles I picked up were not brand new purchases. These used unicycles the frustrated owners were dying to get rid of, were originally inspired by seeing someone riding one somewhere. Most were bought from someone else who was inspired for the same reason, and also gave up out of frustration.
again I doubt these owners actually spent much time trying. They likely tried a few times and felt it was impossible.

Last edited by Pinoclean; 2018-04-05 at 08:51 AM.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 09:40 AM   #122
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
So if we're going to attract a spectator audience, we're going to have to figure out the activities people want to watch.
Juggling, riding giraffes, playing musical instruments 😈
Old 2018-04-06, 05:35 AM   #123
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I need to work on my unicycling "elevator speech" (the most important points strangers need to know). When I'm out riding and a stranger strikes up a conversation...
I think your list is pretty awesome. I might "borrow" it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo
  • Unicycling is more than good exercise; it requires great focus and is incredibly rewarding.
  • This neighborhood (insert your local area here) has great mountain unicycling trails.
  • Many unicyclists start the sport in their 40's and 50's.
  • Unicycling takes dedicated practice to learn, but learning to ride makes the practice totally worth it.
  • Unicycling looks dangerous, but we are riding slowly, we're close to the ground, and we almost always land on our feet.
  • Unicycles are relatively cheap. Next time you're on the Internet, check out unicycle.com
That would seem to explain and sell it pretty well to the types of people one meets on mountain bike trails. Back in the day I used to play down the danger of riding on rocks & stuff; it took me a while to realize the danger, or at least the appearance of it, was part of the distraction. So mostly I don't mention the "safety" aspect unless asked. Then I might say that there are some trails I unicycle on, that I would not attempt a bike on. Stevens Trail, in Colfax, CA is the main example in my experience. Very narrow, with lots of steep drop on one side. On unicycles it's easy to bail at any moment. On bikes, you're straddling the thing and if you don't control the way it lays down it could get ugly there. And after the rains of 2016-17, it's even worse; I don't expect to run into any bikes there unless they make some repairs to some of the heavily eroded areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Juggling, riding giraffes, playing musical instruments ��
That might be interesting, but how do you play the instrument up there, while you're juggling?

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-04-06 at 05:35 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-06, 07:06 AM   #124
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
That might be interesting, but how do you play the instrument up there, while you're juggling?
Maybe it is a Kazoo.
Old 2018-04-06, 11:36 AM   #125
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:

I can play trumpet one handed, and also juggle two ball with one hand - unfortunately I use the same hand for both 😢

Tags
doesent, snowboarding, unicycling