Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-02-22, 10:40 PM   #16
FoxxyD
Enemy of hoverboards everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanhulzen View Post
while wearing a pair of katanas
That is a really bad UPD in the making.
Nimbus Nightfox 36" (114mm)
Nimbus Road 29" (102mm, Magura brake)
www.foxxyd.com
FoxxyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 11:19 PM   #17
Djphelan01
Unicyclist

I just started to learn how to ride a unicycle in January. I am hooked! The people I tell that are into things that I do such as motocross, trials, mtb, snowmobiles etc all think it's cool and want to try. The other friends who only do things such as stick and ball games seem to think it is a circus/ clown type of hobby. They also seem to think it is very dangerous and think they will get hurt.
Snowboarding looks much easier to learn and you get more crossover from other sports such as skiers , skateboarders, and surfers who look at it to be similar to their chosen sport. I used to ski quite often and did the snowboard thing too. I happen to like skiing better. The reason I tried snowboarding was because it was so popular on the slopes and looked fun.
Djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 12:00 AM   #18
pierrox
Unicyclist

I learned to snow board with the first attempt at widening the sport from the ski manufacturers, that's circa 1985 - prior to that it was indeed very niche and mainly homemade boards from people trying to replicate the movie "Apocalypse Snow". It was perceived as cool pretty early on, mainly because the culture existed (from surfers and to some extend skaters), but also I think because as soon as you could master the thing, the feeling was great and any wide curve in the powdered snow felt amazing.

I was born in the Alps with a outdoorsy dad, so skied from the age of 3. Skiing is fun but let's be honest, you can't really say it's amazing until you're pretty good at it. And it takes a while to become really good - though the parabolic skis are making it easier these days. But snowboarding is incredibly fun as soon as you can draw some S in the snow. And the feeling of speed participate to the adrenaline rush you get. You soon feel like you're the guy you saw in that RedBull video indeed, and if you're crazy enough (and have good protections), you might do scary stuff.

The adrenaline rush when you learn uni has nothing to do with that. It's not the same pleasant feeling, it's more a battle against yourself and against that wheel that won't stay under your bum. And let's be honest, you need to put in hours before you can do a bit of muni. And apart from two dozen riders on this planet, you're never going to feel the wind in your ears (or hair, but it's better to have a helmet) as you glide down a mountain.

Actually, we don't glide on unis, we're always busy pedaling. Maybe if we could glide it would become a popular sport. How about a free-wheeling uni, that sounds easy!

So yep, it's a combination of all the above which, I think, will never make uni become a popular sport.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 12:10 AM   #19
fugsworth
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
Why doesen't unicycling take off like snowboarding has?
Why does it matter? Who cares?
If you have fun unicycling why do you question why the sport isn't as popular as another? The state of the art in unicycling gear is pretty good so that shouldn't be a need for huge growth and development.
Now I can see why UDC and KH would want the sport to get bigger.

Last edited by fugsworth; 2016-02-23 at 12:30 AM.
fugsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 12:49 AM   #20
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugsworth View Post
Amen Brother! The unusualness of unicycling is one of the attractions for me. Archers are a dime a dozen with the invention of the compound bow and with the modern technology, anyone can be fairly proficient in a few hours or days. I rarely run into anyone else who shoots a re-curve bow with finger release and instinctive aiming. It takes to much patience and practice for the instant gratification world we live in but that does not take away from my enjoyment of the sport.

Last edited by DaUniGuy; 2016-02-23 at 01:09 AM.
DaUniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 01:23 AM   #21
jtrops
Unicyclist

If people felt like riding a unicycle was easy it would be as popular as snowboarding. The truth is that just simply riding a snowboard is easy, and that is not true for a unicycle. I think pierox gave a great account of the draw of the snowboard.

Why would we care if it became more popular? This is a good question, and I think it is easiest to compare it to Telemark skiing for me. When I started telemarking it was very fringe. The gear was essentially old tech: leather boots, 3 pin bindings (or old military cable bindings), and metal edged mountain touring skiis with double camber.

As it gained popularity the old trad skiiers resisted, but the change happened anyway. The result? New gear was developed at a rate that was unimaginable before. Gear that was very pricy became accessible for average budgets. And within no time at all a real used market for decent gear emerged.

So, if it did become more popular I would bet that we would see mass produced geared hubs, and maybe more than 2 speeds. We would be able to go to the LBS to purchase hubs, cranks, and frames without having to special order. The quality would go up, and the options would be many. We might see disc brakes that are designed with the unicycle in mind so that the offset of the cranks wouldn't need to be so great. I would love to see a band brake for a uni. I think something like that could be ideal for what we need, and I don't see it happening unless uni's become a valid pull on the market.

In the end, we have what we have and we chose it for our own reasons. I am not wishing for the change, but I would welcome it if it happened.
Old 2016-02-23, 01:35 AM   #22
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
Quote:
If you have fun unicycling why do you question why the sport isn't as popular as another? The state of the art in unicycling gear is pretty good so that shouldn't be a need for huge growth and development.
Now I can see why UDC and KH would want the sport to get bigger.
Why wouldn't you want it to get bigger?
Also, wouldn't you want a geared hub that cost a fourth the price of a schlumpf?

If circus would cool, would that help unicycling become cool? One of the issues I personally have is that I participate in a circus. How am I suppossed to differentiate unicycling from circus, and therefore, clowns? Yes people will think it is cool, but people will lump unicycling in with circus, not with extreme sports. How can I convince people that they can learn by themselves, when I was taught in a circus that I had been in since kindergarten? It's like the prodigy who says that you too can learn to play an instrument, when they were born holding a violin. Not that I'm a amazing unicyclist, but people tend to react the same way as they do to the violinst.

Also, you can go to many ski resorts and take a 30min snowboard lesson, but I feel like the same thing does not exist for unicyling.

Last edited by Superbant; 2016-02-23 at 01:38 AM.
Superbant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 02:13 AM   #23
fugsworth
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbant View Post
Why wouldn't you want it to get bigger?
Also, wouldn't you want a geared hub that cost a fourth the price of a schlumpf?.
Because I only unicycle for myself(and maybe my kids).
Personally I have ZERO interest in a geared unicycle.
Just my opinion.
fugsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 03:19 AM   #24
volock
Unicyclist

You're comparing apples and baby wolverines here.

Snowboarding's growth, aside from the many other reasons mentioned, has a big other component, complementary sports. Snowboarding helps a surfer/wakeboarder/etc get to a full year vs 6 month season (or vice versa). Add in the growth of skateboarding, and you have three sports, with large crossover skills, easy entry, and allowing you to keep skills sharp/the similar sensation.

Unicycling and it's growth (and potential) probably fits in closer to my preferred other hobby/sport, power kiting. You have a relatively small base of people, and while aspects of it are cool, the idea as a whole isn't perceived that way, and with current involvement as small as it is, cost of entry (both in terms of skill and equipment) remains high. Bikes are seen as utilitarian far more than unicycles are (which is partially fair and partially nonsense).

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going back to daydreaming about getting the right wind for my BC Wheel kiting to work out...
Old 2016-02-23, 06:11 AM   #25
tholub
Totally Doable

Unicycling doesn't look cool. It will never look cool. No matter how much marketing you do, Quidditch will never be as cool as football (or futbol).

And, it's hard. Way harder to get to the point you're having fun than snowboarding.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 08:25 AM   #26
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Of course it doesen't matter. After watching 2 documentarys (Dan Heaton's Revolution One and some snowbord documentary) I thought the two sports have a lot of similarities, so I started thinking about it. The people that were interviewed looked like the same type and both sports are at least a little challenging to pick up.
Old 2016-02-23, 10:48 AM   #27
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
It might be equally intriguing and uninformative to ask why unicycling hasn't taken off like pizza or birth control.
Was that wrong? Should I have not asked that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started posting here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause I've been on a lot of forums and I tell you people ask that sort of questions all the time.
Old 2016-02-23, 02:32 PM   #28
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

One cool thing about unicycling is that it's self selecting. Because your average Joe can't do it, you only see the fairly dedicated people on the trails that seem to be good people.

Mountain biking (which was also 'fringe' at one point) is totally different. Since anybody can do it, you see anybody on the trails. People that have no idea about anything are out there crowding the area.

If unicycling became popular, and a bunch of people started doing it, I'd consider putting it down.

Sure I unicycle for myself and because it's a challenge, but riding a bike is faster and more efficient, and if I'm going to be like everybody else, what's the point?

Also, I had a geared hub and didn't care for it so leave your mass produced geared hubs somewhere else.
Old 2016-02-24, 12:42 AM   #29
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

UniMyra I enjoyed this thread so don't regret asking it.

So, I asked 5 coworker why they don't unicycle, and they think it is for clowns or they don't have balance.

I don't no the answer, but there truth in every statement above.
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-24, 02:55 AM   #30
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Yeah UniMyra ... IMHO this thread is interesting. Maybe Harper is depressed from all the rain we've had lately. Or that's just how he is online. He's actually an ok guy when you meet him in person.

I worked for a snowboard company in the 90's. I remember Terje well. Does he unicycle? He should! If I remember correctly he didn't want to go the Olympic route. Back then freeriding in the backcountry was big. All the pros had epic videos of them riding huge mountains and Shaun White was just a grommet.

I once came across a video with Chris Martin from Coldplay unicycling. He was in some kind of animal suit. I suppose that video didn't really help the sport much.

Last edited by Vertigo; 2016-02-24 at 03:01 AM.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doesent, snowboarding, unicycling