Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-01-28, 06:59 AM   #1
battwaylon6
Unicyclist

Talking how many tricks can you do

wanna see who's the best unicyler
battwaylon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 07:21 AM   #2
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Like 3.

This makes me the best so far.... nice.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 07:57 AM   #3
padst3r
Mike Padial

Send a message via MSN to padst3r
you mean unicyclist not unicycler.This doesnt really work because the best unicyclist cant number all his tricks,there are so many basic tricks that alot of people wont be able to tell you how many.I'm sure people like Krisztian Kovacs have a trick bag of like 1000.
VIDEOS

Last edited by padst3r; 2011-01-28 at 08:00 AM.
padst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 08:16 AM   #4
battwaylon6
Unicyclist

ok then what are some tricks you can
battwaylon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 08:39 AM   #5
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
around 3000, but you know, it would take soooo long to type them all out here. But there you have it, I must be the best. . . best ever, yup, just been in hiding all these years.
Old 2011-01-28, 05:39 PM   #6
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Lots of tricks doesn't make you the best unicyclsit. It won't necessarily win you a competition of Flat or Freestyle.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 06:26 PM   #7
Xyphota
Unicyclist

Over 9000!!!!!.. Sorry couldn't help myself =)
Xyphota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 06:31 PM   #8
UNIROX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Lots of tricks doesn't make you the best unicyclsit. It won't necessarily win you a competition of Flat or Freestyle.
What does make a person a good unicyclist? As a person who started unicycling later in life I find it hard to pick up "tricks" that most 12 year olds seem to be able to pick up overnight.

Also very importantly: HOW DO YOU DEFINE TRICKS as opposed to riding skills?
UNIROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 06:43 PM   #9
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIROX View Post
What does make a person a good unicyclist? As a person who started unicycling later in life I find it hard to pick up "tricks" that most 12 year olds seem to be able to pick up overnight.

Also very importantly: HOW DO YOU DEFINE TRICKS as opposed to riding skills?
I find that just at age 21. But it's really all about practice, and as you get older you develop certain ways of thinking and going about things when you are learning them, where as a 6 year old just tries to do it instinctively, which is the way to do it.

I don't think you can separate the two, because 1ft idling is a trick, but some people consider it a skill that you should know. I'd call backwards riding a trick, but that's something essential to learn too.
Old 2011-01-28, 07:07 PM   #10
aarons
Eating a sandwich

I've found that if I work hard on a new trick for a few weeks, I lose ground on other tricks I already learned. There's not enough time to practice everything. It might be more interesting to ask how many tricks you can do right now.

I'd be interested to know if the better riders have to maintain all their tricks constantly or if tricks become permanent after a while.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 07:34 PM   #11
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons View Post
I've found that if I work hard on a new trick for a few weeks, I lose ground on other tricks I already learned. There's not enough time to practice everything. It might be more interesting to ask how many tricks you can do right now.

I'd be interested to know if the better riders have to maintain all their tricks constantly or if tricks become permanent after a while.
well I can't say as much for unicycling since I can't do much. but yes, I used to skateboard, over time it seems like you lose the memory of the trick, but it can usually be retrieved within a few tries. Although I have found that with tricks that you had mastered in the first place, but hadn't done for say.... a year, it comes back in less tries.

Also things to take into consideration, many tricks are similar to other tricks, some even have the same parts just in different orders or with something else added
Old 2011-01-28, 08:33 PM   #12
UNIROX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
I find that just at age 21. But it's really all about practice, and as you get older you develop certain ways of thinking and going about things when you are learning them, where as a 6 year old just tries to do it instinctively, which is the way to do it.

I don't think you can separate the two, because 1ft idling is a trick, but some people consider it a skill that you should know. I'd call backwards riding a trick, but that's something essential to learn too.
I don't think its all about practice Dane - I put in A LOT of practice - about an hour per day I've been trying to wheel walk since November 2010 and still can't do it properly. Some teenage boys seem to pick it up overnight.(I sold a unicycle to a boy who apparently learned to ride in an afternoon and was doing uni spins the next day??)

I must say however that I find some skills easier to pick up than others - 1 foot idling was surprisingly easy compared to learning how to idle in the first instance.

I think there is too much of an emphasis on 'TRICKS' to the point where it seems that unless you can do a 360' uni spin and a crank flip you are dismissed as a rider.
If we compare it to say cycling disciplines, no one would base a road rider or mountain biker's ability on their freestyle BMX abilities.

Last edited by UNIROX; 2011-01-28 at 08:35 PM.
Old 2011-01-28, 08:54 PM   #13
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIROX View Post
I don't think its all about practice Dane - I put in A LOT of practice - about an hour per day I've been trying to wheel walk since November 2010 and still can't do it properly. Some teenage boys seem to pick it up overnight.(I sold a unicycle to a boy who apparently learned to ride in an afternoon and was doing uni spins the next day??)

I must say however that I find some skills easier to pick up than others - 1 foot idling was surprisingly easy compared to learning how to idle in the first instance.

I think there is too much of an emphasis on 'TRICKS' to the point where it seems that unless you can do a 360' uni spin and a crank flip you are dismissed as a rider.
If we compare it to say cycling disciplines, no one would base a road rider or mountain biker's ability on their freestyle BMX abilities.
Well it's just like you said, some skills you pick up faster than others. But I fully believe that the younger you are the more of an advantage you have. I learned to ride in a day, 180spin in a month, but I still can't 1ft idle or 1ft ride.

As for your last comment, do you mean just inside of the Uni community you are dismissed as a rider? Or by people in general?

Last edited by Dane M; 2011-01-28 at 08:55 PM.
Old 2011-01-28, 08:57 PM   #14
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

I've found with the few tricks I have learned, that there are certain ways I have to go about learning them now. Some peoples methods of how to learn something don't work for me. So for a few weeks I was trying to 1ft wheelwalk a certain way, and just a few days ago, I changed everything up and even got a diff pair of shoes, and now I am doing it much better.

There are so many variables it's just hard to say

Last edited by Dane M; 2011-01-28 at 08:57 PM.
Old 2011-01-28, 09:08 PM   #15
UNIROX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
As for your last comment, do you mean just inside of the Uni community you are dismissed as a rider? Or by people in general?
Well - just look at the title of this thread - how many tricks you can do somehow makes you the best unicyclist.

Tags
tricks