Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-07-22, 04:41 PM   #46
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I can... Hold a conversation, give a wave/thumbs up/middle finger (depending on he situation) to drivers on the road, sip water, point my light properly, check my Garmin... I think that's about it
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 10:18 PM   #47
azraguse
Unicyclist

I have jump mounted in Flippers that are for snorkeling. www.instagram.com/azraguse88 don't know how I stayed on 😁😂
azraguse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 10:21 PM   #48
azraguse
Unicyclist

It happens rarely now.. but had a guy throw an apple at my head while on my 36.. Well it ended quiet nasty it made me come off broke my heal. He also ended up in hospital I live in a friendly area now
azraguse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 12:48 AM   #49
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
Now there's an idea - I know somebody who has one of those (and I should be able to play a tune on one, I'm sure I've played a tuba at some point). It has to be done...

I was going to say that I can play a trumpet whilst riding - I was thinking of getting a trombone partly because it would look far more impressive playing that whilst riding (riding a giraffe natch), but then a Sousa is way better. The only obvious downside (apart from making mounting a giraffe even harder) is that they're a lot, lot more expensive.

As for riding vs idling, playing trumpet whilst riding is almost trivial, idling a lot harder.
Old 2017-07-25, 02:55 PM   #50
Geolojas
Unicyclist

High Five

Just the other day I managed to give a random passerby a high five. Usually this results in me losing control and bailing spectacularly (quite embarrassing), so i generally avoid it, but this guy surprised me and it worked.

Other than that, walking my dog and carrying groceries (beer) are about the most impressive things I can do while riding.
Old 2017-07-25, 07:59 PM   #51
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Now there's an idea - I know somebody who has one of those (and I should be able to play a tune on one, I'm sure I've played a tuba at some point). It has to be done...

I was going to say that I can play a trumpet whilst riding - I was thinking of getting a trombone partly because it would look far more impressive playing that whilst riding (riding a giraffe natch), but then a Sousa is way better. The only obvious downside (apart from making mounting a giraffe even harder) is that they're a lot, lot more expensive.

As for riding vs idling, playing trumpet whilst riding is almost trivial, idling a lot harder.

A UPD while playing a sousaphone would be rather awkward .
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-26, 05:00 PM   #52
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
Just the other day I managed to give a random passerby a high five. Usually this results in me losing control and bailing spectacularly (quite embarrassing), so i generally avoid it, but this guy surprised me and it worked.
I've done that a couple of times recently when riding my giraffe - to a chap riding an electric longboard! I did point out that it was a low 5 for me though
Old 2017-08-15, 08:42 AM   #53
Onewheelhenni
Ghostrider/Gespensterfahrer

When I was in the early learning phase, I could talk about trivial things. But when my wife asked me if I knew a route to take on another trip, I found I could not think anything involving spatial concepts - my mind was purely blank! It seems as if spatial thinking was completely occupied by unicycling.
Now I am confident I could even learn to do the Rubiks Cube while riding. Probably I will do several UPDs before I manage to do so.

Anyone here with experience in the "uni and cube "-learning process who can give advice?

Hendrik
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-16, 06:34 AM   #54
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I can't speak to the cube part, but the uni part just involves getting comfortable with idling. Or riding, but you might not have a lot of space, especially if you have an audience. Someone just did this, either on the Gong Show or on America's Got Talent. And I think he was blindfolded.

Once your riding gets more solid, that will be the easy part. At least from the point of view of someone that hasn't learned to solve a Rubik's cube...

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 12:51 PM   #55
Onewheelhenni
Ghostrider/Gespensterfahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I can't speak to the cube part, but the uni part just involves getting comfortable with idling. Or riding, but you might not have a lot of space, especially if you have an audience. Someone just did this, either on the Gong Show or on America's Got Talent. And I think he was blindfolded
That's one thing I can't do at all: shut my eyes for longer than one second while riding.
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 01:35 PM   #56
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
That's one thing I can't do at all: shut my eyes for longer than one second while riding.
There are vestibular, somatosensory, and visual systems of balance. As a beginner, I could not close my eyes, and it was difficult to ride in relative darkness. When I improved, the non-visual forms of balance improved, and I was able to close my eyes. Keep practicing, and you will get there!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 12:02 AM   #57
Uni Klein
Hooked For Life!

Text!

Could it get more dangerous?

Tags
riding, things, uni