Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-11-09, 07:40 PM   #16
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
It helps you learn how to look ridiculous. It's a gateway to clowning.
So true! Be advised parents. It can happen to your kids, too. At first, I thought I was cool. Riding off-road with a muni, riding the 36er for distance, and finally doing tricks on my trails unicycle. Now, I've totally gotten into juggling and started juggling on the unicycle. It's totally hopeless now...
Old 2016-11-09, 08:45 PM   #17
Canapin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Unicycling feels like flying. Riding a bike doesn't.
I've thought about this more than once, especially when riding with a road tire on a flat ground. So much comfort, so silent.

Besides this, it actually lets you fly for real sometimes, I had this experience yesterday. It was a bit painful.
Canapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-09, 11:25 PM   #18
fugsworth
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasswadesh View Post
I want to know What are benefits of riding a unicycle?
Threads like this make me want to vomit.
fugsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-10, 07:10 AM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Learning to ride one teaches anyone an invaluable lesson: You can do the impossible. This goes beyond many of the other benefits, though we sometimes forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
a unicycle fits even in the smallest of cars.
My friends and I once fit six unicycles, three people and our luggage into a VW bug for a 1000km trip to New York (from Michigan)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix
Unicycling feels like flying. Riding a bike doesn't.
Though to be fair, bikes can fly better than unicycles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Not worrying about getting chain grease on the back seat of your car.
Watch out for giraffes and Schlumph hubs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Now, I've totally gotten into juggling and started juggling on the unicycle.
If you've learned to ride a unicycle, learning to juggle after that is a piece of cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugsworth View Post
Threads like this make me want to vomit.
I'm trying to figure out how that's a benefit....

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-13, 08:11 AM   #20
giocologgi
Unicycling lover since 2000

Quote:
Any advice on riding with COPD.......always out of breath. ??
Hi friend,
Generally speaking, (quoted from somewhere)
" Physical activity is a very important part of therapy in the treatment of breathlessness and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease). When practiced for two hours per week, it has an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effect that results in a significant improvement in respiratory symptoms".
(more data here:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25705944

Unicycling can be physical challenging and can leave you breathless, as it can be walking or climbing stairs (depending on degree of yout COPD).
If you're learning, the effort is obviously higer, but when you're more experienced it's clearly easier.
My advice (I'm a chest surgeon) is to go on practicing (well, I don't know you and your medical data...). Take your time, when you're breathless take a rest, stop, breathe. When you're ready, go!
Unicycling, being an aerobic activity (exlcuding trials, some muni or other activity with fast movements), is absolutely a good thing for you, because it strenghten your core muscles, your respiratory muscles, your breathing cycle and so on.
Maybe a heart monitoring (a normal sport watch ca do that) during sport is good for you, so you can see how "tired" (when your frequency is too high) is your heart when you're breathless, to avoid overtraining and potential damages.

Nic
giocologgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-13, 09:13 AM   #21
fynger
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by giocologgi View Post
Hi friend,
Generally speaking, (quoted from somewhere)
" Physical activity is a very important part of therapy in the treatment of breathlessness and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease). When practiced for two hours per week, it has an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effect that results in a significant improvement in respiratory symptoms".
(more data here:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25705944

Unicycling can be physical challenging and can leave you breathless, as it can be walking or climbing stairs (depending on degree of yout COPD).
If you're learning, the effort is obviously higer, but when you're more experienced it's clearly easier.
My advice (I'm a chest surgeon) is to go on practicing (well, I don't know you and your medical data...). Take your time, when you're breathless take a rest, stop, breathe. When you're ready, go!
Unicycling, being an aerobic activity (exlcuding trials, some muni or other activity with fast movements), is absolutely a good thing for you, because it strenghten your core muscles, your respiratory muscles, your breathing cycle and so on.
Maybe a heart monitoring (a normal sport watch ca do that) during sport is good for you, so you can see how "tired" (when your frequency is too high) is your heart when you're breathless, to avoid overtraining and potential damages.

Nic
Thank you.....yes I am just learning, and my breathing is quite bad at times.......thanks for the Advice, slowly goes it for me then.
fynger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benefits, riding, unicycle