Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-10-06, 03:01 AM   #766
muni123
Unicyclist

Today I landed a 720 unison first try. It's been over a year and I'm finally starting to get consistent.

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs
muni123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 03:49 PM   #767
HermanTurnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I am a programmer in my daily life. I should be able to link my brain with a USB-stick to a laptop and override the primal brain, turning it into DANGER DANGER, GO ON, FUN
I'm in the same boat, but am getting better. After practicing for a couple of months (during trips to the park with my son) I'm getting used to that uneasy feeling of leaning backwards, but my mind does tend to freak out and attempt to straighten me up (although that urge is lessening the more I practice). I can now go for 2-3 rotations while hovering my hand over the rail. Pedal motions are no longer jerky and unsure. It's slow but steady improvement, but I'll take it!
HermanTurnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-09, 09:24 PM   #768
Setonix
Unicyclist

Something new to brag about. Today my 5th unicycle arrived with the mail. (5 unicycles since I started in July). I am so addicted. This time the Nimbus Oracle 29" (left on the picture). I took it out for a 7km spin on dirt roads and asphalt and it was very very comfortable. The tires are narrower, which means less friction and easier to steer. It also came with a brake, but not sure yet when to use that. It seems to me that it is the instant UPD handle for those times where I haven't UPD'd in a while, I can use the handbrake
Attached Images

Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-10, 03:59 PM   #769
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Setonix, that's the one I ride all the time. Hope you like it as much as I like mine. Lately I've been taking mine on the bus to work and then riding home 13km. It's so much fun.

Lately I've started thinking about a 36er but think that one would be too big for the bus. There are more logistical hurdles to riding my uni to work than home.

Enjoy!
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-10, 05:59 PM   #770
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Setonix, that's the one I ride all the time. Hope you like it as much as I like mine. Lately I've been taking mine on the bus to work and then riding home 13km. It's so much fun.

Lately I've started thinking about a 36er but think that one would be too big for the bus. There are more logistical hurdles to riding my uni to work than home.

Enjoy!
That's cool to hear. Today I rode 16km with it. Somehow static free-mounting it is easier than on the 26". Not sure why yet, maybe because it rolls back a little slower. The only thing I don't like so much is the saddle. I wanted to switch to the KH saddle, but the seat post is too thick for the Nimbus. Why aren't such things universal. The problem is that the saddle hangs too much to the front and down.
I have about 20km to work, which I even think is too much to take by mountain bike. I did so a few times last summer, but it took a long time, up hill, wind in the face, raining. A unicycle doesn't even go as fast as mountain-bike and there are some hills that I couldn't climb with the uni. But who knows maybe next summer I might give it a try. I also bought shorter cranks for the 26". I will try those tomorrow. Now I have so many unicycles, I get confused as to which one to focus on. They all have their own nice characteristics
Old 2015-10-10, 10:35 PM   #771
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
The only thing I don't like so much is the saddle. I wanted to switch to the KH saddle, but the seat post is too thick for the Nimbus.
My 24" Muni came with a Nimbus saddle which I don't like as much as the KH saddles. My 29" Oracle is the Road version and it came with a KH street saddle on a Nimbus seat post. So it is possible to just switch the saddle. I didn't think I'd like the street saddle but it's fine. Not as much cushion as the freeride. I have that one as well and use it for Muni.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 11:23 AM   #772
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I did a glide, quite accidentally. What a weird feeling.

I was riding along the footpath quite fast and as I approached the road I saw a car blocking my way. I went to jump off in a hurry without preparing. My feet came off the pedals but found myself still sitting on the seat for a few metres.
Old 2015-10-11, 11:39 AM   #773
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post

I was riding along the footpath quite fast and as I approached the road I saw a car blocking my way. I went to jump off in a hurry without preparing. My feet came off the pedals but found myself still sitting on the seat for a few metres.
You lucky ba$%rd. I wish that would happen to me. Just the thought of taking my feet off the pedals is scary, but I would love to be able to glide. What wheel size?
Old 2015-10-11, 12:27 PM   #774
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Believe me, it is even weirder when it happens offroad !

You're too focused on what will happen to you whenever you finally get off the unicycle to realize how it is
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 07:35 PM   #775
OorWullie
Unicyclist

This evening I went for a muni ride with hills in. I rode way more than I was expecting, particularly on the uphill part. Pretty pleased with myself!
A couple of weeks ago I decided I just wasn't riding enough, I was struggling to motivate myself to get out in the dark after being cold & wet all day at work. I decided to take my uni to work & ride a muni loop on the way home. Its only about 2.5miles, but I'm doing it 5-6 days a week. Tonights ride has shown me that extra saddle time is paying off, and in turn gives me more motivation to get out whenever I can!
Also, I'm happier being out in the rain now, since 1, I upd less, and 2, I can free mount more consistently. That walk back to a mounting post is really demoralising in the rain!
Looking forward to riding these shorter loops with a longer ride at wknds so by next summer I should be ripping my local trails with the bikes!
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-14, 04:14 PM   #776
Setonix
Unicyclist

Today I learned how to do a rolling mount on the 36". It turned out to be a lot easier than I had thought and with the extra momentum it is easier to get on top of the monster and ride off into the sunset. Instead of a 1-2, I use a 1-2-3 to get on so I have a bit more speed, where 3 is where I plant my dominant foot on the pedal.
I won't need it for the 29" as that has the exact size for my height. I am 1.86m - I can just step on with the static mount.
Old 2015-10-15, 10:39 AM   #777
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
You lucky ba$%rd. I wish that would happen to me. Just the thought of taking my feet off the pedals is scary, but I would love to be able to glide. What wheel size?
Scared me too. My first thought was the memory of an uncontrolled dismount with my ankle jammed between the crank and the spokes.

I have since contemplated trying it on purpose and just thinking about it almost makes me UPD.

It was on my 26 inch.
Old 2015-10-15, 11:08 AM   #778
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Scared me too. My first thought was the memory of an uncontrolled dismount with my ankle jammed between the crank and the spokes.

I have since contemplated trying it on purpose and just thinking about it almost makes me UPD.

It was on my 26 inch.
I think that is because when you want to do it in a controlled way while thinking about it, you automatically slow down, because you might actually expect to UPD, which is better when you don't ride too quickly
Practicing to ride uni might be a lot better when the world was made of cotton instead of rock.
Old 2015-10-17, 05:41 AM   #779
Eremit
Seniorenklasse!

I lost my 180 DoubleFlips sometimes in 2010.
Got them back yesterday!

Gro▀artigster Onlineshop der Welt! -> www.municycle.com
Eremit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 12:37 PM   #780
Setonix
Unicyclist

Not sure if it is reason to brag, but I like this thread. I just rode 12km in exactly 1 hour on my Oracle 29" (on asphalt but with several energy-depleting hills) and that after only 4 months of learning how to unicycle. I really don't know how that is compared to others, but at least now I have an idea how long it will take when I decide to ride to work coming summer, which is about 20km with several hills as well.

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2