Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-11-19, 04:47 PM   #376
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
The Nobby Nic 3.0 is an awesome tire! I tried it on a Norco Torrent Demo bike from the company, I loved it! The nobs are big and super grippy like most Schwalbe tires. I was satisfied
Old 2015-11-19, 09:12 PM   #377
unikum
Einrad- Dampfwalze

Send a message via MSN to unikum Send a message via Skype™ to unikum
Nobby Nic 27.5x 3.0 and Rocket Ron 27.5x 3.0

Good Stuff

Name:  nobby_nic27+.k.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  154.9 KB

Name:  rocket_ron_27+_k.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  154.1 KB

EINRADSHOP.CH - Schweizer Einradshop
GREENESPRESSO.CH -
Befüllbare Nespressokapseln
unikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-02, 08:51 PM   #378
cliffhirsch
Boston metrowest muni

I currently ride on a Nokian Gazzaloddi dual 26x2.6, the original tire on my 6 year old Nimbus 26. I love it, but then again it's the only tire I've ever had, so I have no frame-of-reference.

Thinking perhaps it's time to try something different. The Gazz seems to have a very flat square profile compared to some tires I've seen like the Duro Wildlife Leopard 26x3 or Schwalbe Nobby Nic, which look like they have a much more rounded profile. I'm guessing this would make them turn much easier.

The Schwalbe Nobby Nic comes in 26x2.1, 2.25, 2.35. Go widest? This tire also comes in a few variations -- wired / folding bead, compound, etc. Best for muni?

Suggestions or just stick with my Gazz?

Last edited by cliffhirsch; 2016-01-02 at 09:04 PM.
cliffhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-03, 12:42 AM   #379
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhirsch View Post
I currently ride on a Nokian Gazzaloddi dual 26x2.6, the original tire on my 6 year old Nimbus 26. I love it, but then again it's the only tire I've ever had, so I have no frame-of-reference.
I suspect that it's also the only one of those you'll ever have. I've been unicycling for less than three years but they were long gone, and from what I could tell barely remembered, by the time I started.

Quote:
The Gazz seems to have a very flat square profile compared to some tires I've seen like the Duro Wildlife Leopard 26x3 or Schwalbe Nobby Nic, which look like they have a much more rounded profile. I'm guessing this would make them turn much easier.
I have a Duro Wildlife and it's a heavy beast of a tire compared everything I've tried. Maybe not so much compared to the Gazz. I mostly ride a 2.6" Maxxis Ardent, which is plenty capable for what I do and not nearly as tiring as the Duro. I'm an old plodder and don't catch a lot of air or do big drops, and it seems to suit me.

I don't know where the Nobby Nic lines up among Schwalbe's offerings. They seem to have a lot of models and variants, and they change from year to year as well. I also have a Hans Dampf Super Gravity bought based on recommendations here, but I might have done better to get the lighter, cheaper non-SG model because it seems just about the same as the Ardent. My idea was for it to be an alternative to the Ardent and it isn't so much. (Btw, did Maxxis change their size markings? I haven't seen 2.6" Ardents for sale in a while but mine's exactly the same size as my 2.35" HD SG.)

I see good things on the MTB forums about Hans Dampf, Muddy Mary, and Magic Mary, not much love for the Nics. But maybe that all changes with the '15 or '16 models, and anyway it might all be different for unicycles. I can't imagine many people being in a position to have tried more than just a few of them.

Quote:
The Schwalbe Nobby Nic comes in 26x2.1, 2.25, 2.35. Go widest? This tire also comes in a few variations -- wired / folding bead, compound, etc. Best for muni?
If you like the Gazz then you probably don't mind heavy tires and you'd likely be best off with the biggest size. Sometimes there's no substitute for tire volume. The trend for muni seems to be toward fatter and fatter tires. There are some smaller baby-fat models from Surly that might fit your frame and rim, that I'd be looking at if I was shopping now. But if you'd like to try a narrow profile, you might also want to move to a 29" wheel to maintain the rolling diameter, which seems to be a key to that style of riding.

For compound, there are three common ones for Schwalbe tires: PaceStar, TrailStar, and VertStar from hard to soft. Probably go with the softest you can find? If you ride it enough to wear it out, good for you, you've earned a new one!

Dunno if any of that helps. I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say and what you wind up with. Good luck!

Edit: I should have scrolled up; Jaco loves the 3.0" Nobby Nic! But he's got the 27.5". Do they sell a 3.0" 26" version? I'm not shopping so I didn't look very hard but it didn't turn up right away.

Last edited by LargeEddie; 2016-01-03 at 12:47 AM.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-03, 09:32 PM   #380
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Edit: I should have scrolled up; Jaco loves the 3.0" Nobby Nic! But he's got the 27.5". Do they sell a 3.0" 26" version? I'm not shopping so I didn't look very hard but it didn't turn up right away.
I loved the Nobby Nic I tried on a bike!

On my 650b uni I ride a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 to keep the weight down
2.35 is pretty small for a uni. I have mine setup tubeless on a tubeless rim, so it works really well. But I do hit my rim alot, if I wasn't tubeless my tube would probably be full of patches.
Old 2016-01-05, 06:06 PM   #381
cliffhirsch
Boston metrowest muni

LargeEddie, thanks for the great response. I'm an old and damaged plodder too, so "not nearly as tiring" would be a good thing. I'm surprised weight makes that much of a difference on a uni, but this does seem to be a common thread. Sounds like I should try a lighter tire if nothing else for the contrast. But it will have to wait for spring -- winter finally took hold and now I'm on my heavy studded tire!
Old 2016-01-05, 09:28 PM   #382
LargeEddie

You're welcome, Cliff. Keep in mind that for any general claim I make, someone will likely pop up and say the opposite. But yeah, as a geezer beginner who rides fairly tight trails, where I need frequent changes of line to get over and around roots and rocks, I noticed a difference for sure in how long I could go between breaks to catch my breath on the Ardent vs the Duro. I gather that the point of the extreme downhill tires is that they don't have much rebound so they absorb energy on drops and don't bounce, which tends to make them not roll so well besides being heavy. Tires like Ardents and Hans Dampfs seem to be meant as more of a compromise.

No snow down here so far; we're just getting our first real winter chill of the season now, but I got out on snow a few times last year. The Ardent went like a champ if it was soft or rutted. The 700c road uni was the choice when it was smooth and hard packed. For glare ice I definitely get the point of studs, but we never had more than an occasional patch of that so I just walked the uni--carefully!

Maybe it's good that you've got time to watch out for sales or keep an eye on the Trading Post here for lightly used take-offs to try. Unlike the 24" muni situation, you'll never run out of options to look at.
Old 2016-01-06, 01:34 AM   #383
cliffhirsch
Boston metrowest muni

I totally get the catching my breath thing. My lungs are shot. And I'm so done with extreme downhill. I thought the sign that said Cliff was a greeting, not warning.

I'm all for lower weight, so that's my plan. I think my Snowshoe 2XL 26x5.05 will be lighter than my current clunker setup.

Studs rock - I aim for the ice. So much easier than snow and rutted up foot and dog tracks. The grip is amazing.
Attached Images

Old 2016-01-07, 10:06 PM   #384
LargeEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhirsch View Post
And I'm so done with extreme downhill. I thought the sign that said Cliff was a greeting, not warning.
Damn. I've been told that falling isn't so bad but the sudden stop at the end can be rough.

Quote:
I'm all for lower weight, so that's my plan. I think my Snowshoe 2XL 26x5.05 will be lighter than my current clunker setup.
I was going to ask what frame you were putting the 2XL in, but based on some of your other replies I think I've got it figured it out. ETA?

Looking forward to your thoughts on riding both of your new tires.

Last edited by LargeEddie; 2016-01-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 2016-01-08, 01:13 AM   #385
cliffhirsch
Boston metrowest muni

Yes, sudden stops are rough, especially when headfirst. Seriously, I'm very lucky. Unicycling is soooo much safer than mountain biking! Two wheels is nuts.

Flansberrium in the works. ETA is up to Jakob and his suppliers. The wheel is a work in progress, so no rush. Second set of spokes - hopefully the right length this time - in transit. And 3D printing adapter for truing stand.
Old 2016-04-06, 06:25 AM   #386
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I'm planning to try 650b+ or almost + and this is what seems to be more or less available here in Poland. Do you have any experience with any of these tires?

Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Rocket Ron

Both available in 650bx2.8 and 3.0, but I was never tempted to use them in smaller sizes as there was always something better around. But I see some good comments here on NN, so maybe it is worth a shot.

WTB Trail Blazer x2.8, this one is tempting and for sure I can get it in a few shops here

WTB Trail Boss and Bridger, both in x3.0, but with only hint of availability

Panaracer Fat Nimble x3.5, available but said to be much smaller - more around x3 or even less

Maxiss Chronicle x3.0, available, but seems to slick for me
Old 2016-05-20, 06:16 AM   #387
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Hi,

the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27,5 x 2,8 Snake Skin TL easy is 730gr on my scale.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre