Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-11-28, 12:17 AM   #16
critter
Year of the Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo View Post
Ouch! I hope your knee will improve over time.
thanks, it is.

THIS IS FROM ANOTHER THREAD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniSano
Got my screw and all tested just fine!

quote from critter:
My test screw is too big! I'm I going cucukoo?
I tried for quite a while. When I did get the thread to catch, it was tight. I didn't what to strip it. Don't tell me I'm the only one with this problem.
My oil plug screw is visibly smaller in diameter than the test screw.
Should I call uni.com or Florian? I thought I would ask here 1st.
In the meantime I keep riding.

from Nathan
The test screw is only for the new hubs with the larger bearings. Serial number >M0200.

It won't fit in the earlier ones but should go in easily in one of the new ones. The last couple of turns were slightly tight on mine, but it went all the way in ok.
---Nathan
S#M0213... Thanks Nathan, I went out and tried it again but this time with more confidence. I got it this time, Also it passed the high gear spin test.

The oil plug(screw) goes in really easy but the test screw did have some tight spots.

aloha
Old 2009-12-01, 10:18 PM   #17
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

I'm also in the KH24 Schlumpf camp. This has really become my "do all" offroad unicycle. I'm finally getting the hang of shifting when I want, where I want most of the time. I think the biggest thing that helped me was switching shoes! I had been quite content riding my ungeared KH24 with a pair of Montrail CTC shoes (approach shoes). While I could shift, it wasn't very instant but would take several crank revolutions. By some fluke I decided to ride in a pair of my SIXSIXONE shoes and found that I could shift almost instantaneously! This caused quite a bit of UPDs as you can imagine as I wasn't accustomed to so such fast shifts (both up and down). So I think having a big more firm heel really makes a big difference. My running shoes just have too soft a heel when it comes to shifting... Thank you Florian for such a wonderful gift! Having an extra gear has totally opened up the types of terrain I like to ride now. Single track is still the best, but now flying down a gravel road can be just as exciting!
Old 2009-12-01, 11:13 PM   #18
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

I had a most excellent guni (KH29g) ride for my birthday today. A bunch of XC trails, and then miles of paved, curvy, hilly (lots of shifting) cart paths on the closed golf course. And in the middle of it all, we had our first snow of the season. That turned a great rolling ride into a magically wondrous ride. I'm a happy boy!

Thank you to Florian!

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Last edited by steveyo; 2009-12-01 at 11:13 PM.
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 12:59 AM   #19
Dave Cox
self supported touring!

Send a message via MSN to Dave Cox
recently installed some kh 137/167 dual hole cranks on my geared 36, and it's amazing the difference in feel between the two. I can pretty much chill out in high gear at 167 up or downhill and cruise all the same. 137s are really nice for big hills or really flat stuff still, but it's great to have the option. Plus I can toss the wheel around in low gear almost like my freestyle - once work calms down a bit I'm totally hitting up some light muni on this thing..
Dave Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 01:18 AM   #20
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cox View Post
recently installed some kh 137/167 dual hole cranks on my geared 36, and it's amazing the difference in feel between the two. I can pretty much chill out in high gear at 167 up or downhill and cruise all the same. 137s are really nice for big hills or really flat stuff still, but it's great to have the option. Plus I can toss the wheel around in low gear almost like my freestyle - once work calms down a bit I'm totally hitting up some light muni on this thing..
I really liked the feel of the 165mm cranks on the geared 36, but I found shifting extremely difficult. I think for a long ride (>50 miles) the 165mm cranks would be more ideal because they don't require as much muscle to push the wheel.
Old 2009-12-02, 01:24 AM   #21
napalm
Because i can.

Have been putting in a lot of Kms on my 24" Guni up mt Majura and Mt Ainslie here in canberra in preperation for Unicon. Shifting is getting easier and easier and hill climbing in high gear is supprisingly viable. I am doing lots of the climbs that i have been riding on my other non geared wheelset and the extra weight has not hindered me at all (not sure if i am just getting fitter or if the non-rotating weight of the hub is negligable).

One side effect of all the climbing i have been doing is that i snapped the reinforcment plate on my KH fusion seat. I ordered a CF seat base which should be here soon so i'm looking forwad to a stiffer more rigid feel when i'm off the seat and cranking it on some big climbs.

Rocky single track in high gear is a blast as long as you keep your weight over the front of the wheel, if you get behind it and have to backpedal to keep your control the torque gets to be a bit too much and you loose all your speed and control.

Its interesting how quickly you can adjust to something so completely different. I was riding on a fire road the other day and wanted to change up a gear only to find that i already was in high gear!

keep on riding!
Mark
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 04:41 AM   #22
naturequack
Igloo ceiling

+1 on the long cranks. I ride with 165 Schlumpf cranks. They make steep hills and quick stops in traffic easier.

Mustn't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
naturequack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 04:24 PM   #23
KcTheAcy
Ohh Baby

These hubs are strong, but how big of an impact can they handle?
How likely would it be for a poorly landed 5ft drop to damage the hub?
Is the hub more susceptible to damage in high gear?

Basically I'm curious when the hub does get damaged from high loads, is it going to simply bend the axle, or will the locking interface be damaged possibly causing the cranks to freewheel?

There is a little bit of play during normal riding and my fear when landing drops is that whatever is between the axle and hub casing is going to break.

Anyone know anything more definite regarding the hub's strength besides what is stated in the user manual?

Last edited by KcTheAcy; 2010-01-08 at 04:25 PM.
KcTheAcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 06:38 PM   #24
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Today while riding along on my 36" (ungeared), I met a guy riding a geared unicycle. First time I have ever met another person riding a unicycle. We chatted for a bit and the he took off. It really got me thinking about a geared hub for my 24" or maybe my 29". Here is my dilemma. I am very nervous about shifting with my feet. I have a hard time just straightening out my foot if it is crooked on the pedal. If I never get comfortable shifting while riding, is it okay dismount and shift by hand? Low gear for hills and then high for down/flat? I'm not sure I'll get the shifting thing down. All I know is that this guy was riding a small wheel quite fast to get to the mountain to climb. I find this very appealing.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 06:48 PM   #25
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
I've only had 1 experience with Geared hub, It was awesome It was a KH36 with 137mm cranks, It took my a couple of revs to be able to shift it, and couple of revs to be able to ride it in High gear. It was really fast and awesome to ride One day I'll own a Schlumpf hub
Old 2010-01-16, 07:32 PM   #26
unicycler100
Names Jesse :P

Send a message via MSN to unicycler100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_flans View Post
One day I'll own a Schlumpf hub

one day soo will I....

When they become cheaper that is
Old 2010-01-16, 08:10 PM   #27
munirocks
GUnirocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycler100 View Post
one day soo will I....

When they become cheaper that is
Well, it seems they just got even more expensive. Like 100€ more over here.
But they are great! (as long as they work, that is)
Old 2010-01-17, 01:33 AM   #28
justtysen
Coasts Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmer View Post
If I never get comfortable shifting while riding, is it okay dismount and shift by hand?
Of course it's okay.

I mean, there is probably the perfect balance of terrain where it would become unbearable to constantly dismount to shift, but I think those situations are the minority.

Even with a 29" guni you can ride many small hills in high gear, so you'd only really need to shift for steep and or prolonged climbs. Or if you are tired.

And with a 24" guni in high gear it'd be like riding a 36" so you'd only ever shift down for REALLY steep stuff. I would say that 24" is too low for pavement riding, but if you fancied super short cranks on your 36er but still needed to climb a few hills it could work for ya.

Last edited by justtysen; 2010-01-17 at 01:36 AM.
justtysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 01:40 AM   #29
naturequack
Igloo ceiling

Yep, you can get off and shift by hand. That's a good way to start out and just get the hang of riding in high gear. That's how I started. There will come a day when you get dissatisfied with that and you'll start shifting on the fly. What a beautiful day that is.
Geoff

Mustn't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
naturequack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 05:10 PM   #30
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

All this Schlumpf talk got me excited to go window shopping.
But I don't see any for sale at unicycle.com.

Where do you buy these, specifically if you live in the USA?
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf