Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2003-10-03, 02:11 AM   #31
S_Wallis

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester2000
I gotta quick question....

I just bought this cheap version of a camelback at Walmart for 30 bucks... It seems to be pretty nice (I'll post some pictures later...) but when I bite down on the valve, I have to suck to get water! I thought that you just bite down, and it flows into your mouth??

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Maybe I shouldn't have got such a cheap one.....

-Jess
Hydration packs have to abide by the laws of physics. The water is lower than your mouth so you have to suck. Some packs have bite valves that don't flow much and you have to suck too hard. Make sure the opening slit is cut all the way. You can buy a different type valve if you need more flow.
If it has enough flow, once you get used to using one you don't even think about it.
Old 2017-05-18, 03:21 PM   #32
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Question for the camelback users - do you ever find yourselves surprised to be out of water?

One thing I like about bottles (mine are actually clear washed out seltzer ones, as they're cheaper and tougher than non-carbonated water bottles) is that I have a strong awareness of how much I have consumed, and how much I have left.

I guess if water were the only thing in a camelback weight would be an indication, but I'm usually carrying almost as much weight worth of tools, clothing, etc as the 2 liters of water I'll start with in my pack.
Old 2017-05-18, 07:29 PM   #33
kalervo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post
Question for the camelback users - do you ever find yourselves surprised to be out of water?
Nope. A few times to avoid such an emergency I have carried a tiny (2dl?) bottle of water in the bak.
kalervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 07:50 PM   #34
Engineer on a Unicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalervo View Post
Nope. A few times to avoid such an emergency I have carried a tiny (2dl?) bottle of water in the bak.
That actually suggests an interesting idea - large pack with a smaller bladder, and an additional liter or two in bottles to refill it.

I'm guessing part of it is experience though.

My other idea, if I ever decide on a handlebar for the 36er, is to mount a half liter bottled water bottle there, with the idea that it's no big deal if that one gets destroyed (though if at all possible the pieces should be recovered and packed out for disposal).
Old 2017-05-19, 04:02 PM   #35
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalervo View Post
A few times to avoid such an emergency I have carried a tiny (2dl?) bottle of water in the bak.
In the back of the Bak?

My experience is that I very rarely run out of water, so it has almost never been an issue. My first Camelbak was a 2 liter, and then the two after that were both 3 liter/100 oz). Those were the Mule model (I still have both). When I know I'm going out on a big ride, like the Porcupine Rim in Moab, I will add a bottle of Powerade or similar, and that's been enough for me. If the weather is really hot, it's also important to carry sources of electrolyte replacement, such as salty snacks or salt pills.

"The "impending disaster that never quite happens" is the the Eureka moment of unicycling.
Everything that follows is just refinement."
-- Engineer on a Unicycle
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-19, 06:31 PM   #36
pierrox
Unicyclist

On very hot days, or long rides, I've managed to get through the 1.5l tank in mine. I love to drink before I get thirsty, so I drink a lot usually. When that happened to me in town, I would just buy a bottle from a corner shop or gas station and refill the camel.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-19, 07:32 PM   #37
Engineer on a Unicycle

Yes... on my 27 mile ride from the Bronx up into Westchester trying to stick with a bike group on a hot day this week, I burned through four liters: the two I brought got me out and halfway back, then bought a two liter bottle at a gas station, and by the time I was done I only had a small amount left to drink while waiting for the train home.

From the turning around point to where I refilled, I was well aware that I was running out, it was more a question of how quickly and how willing I was to bushwack from the rail trail out to a road where I could buy something, vs wait for a good opportunity at a formal access point.

Conversely on a cooler day in Manhattan I still had some of my two liters left after 31 miles.
Old 2017-05-20, 05:01 AM   #38
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post

One thing I like about bottles (mine are actually clear washed out seltzer ones, as they're cheaper and tougher than non-carbonated water bottles) is that I have a strong awareness of how much I have consumed, and how much I have left.

I guess if water were the only thing in a camelback weight would be an indication, but I'm usually carrying almost as much weight worth of tools, clothing, etc as the 2 liters of water I'll start with in my pack.
About your concern of not knowing where you are in your water consumption, that is true that you have no visual clue except having a peek once in a while.

However, the water in the pak has a distinct behaviour and distribution. And after a while you can have an idea if you are full or if you are on the last 25% as it doesn't shake exactly the same way.

As already mentioned, resupplying is not difficult and it is a good exercise to pace your water intake (both if your drink too much or not enough).

I like the spare small bottle to work like the car gas tank red zone: you know you are on your last leg )
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 07:36 PM   #39
anton005
Unicyclist

I've used a camelback for pretty much a decade now, recently switched to water bottles. I rarely needed a craptonn of water on an epic long ride. Found myself carrying much more water than I usually needed which seemed silly. In so many rides I think I ran out of water once, wasn't a huge deal, just thought I had more water than I did. The thing that really got me this year, I was out on my first bike ride of the spring, almost took a big drink of water and happened to look at the bite piece, it was black with mold. Got home threw it out. It is just a pain in the ass to clean compared to water bottles that I can toss in the dishwasher when I'm done. If I need to bring a bunch of water, I can still throw some water pouch or extra bottles in my pack no problems.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 05:48 AM   #40
rrurban
Unicyclist

I'm actively looking for a camelbak, a longer version, to protect my spine and lower back. There's a trail in my area I really like with fields of small to medium sized boulders that you have to hop/jump while doing 10mph due to a fairly steep decent. It's a blast but the last time I rode it I landed on my back. It was a pretty scary UPD, my back barely missed landing on a small boulder. Anyway, light bulbs went off... I need to protect my back.

Any recommendations on water back packs before I do the inny mini myni moe shuffle on Amazon?
Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion
Rider since May 2016
rrurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 06:56 AM   #41
JohnIb
Unicyclist

I guess if they're doubling as back protectors, bigger is better?
JohnIb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 03:14 PM   #42
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

I got an Osprey camelbak a couple of years ago that included a plastic plate on the back-facing side. I don't know if they are producing them today.

On a side note, if you want to have a spine protection without spending $$$$ for a MTB spine protection, you can get one for horse riding. I got a great one (comfy and stronger than ever necessary) for a third of the price of a MTB one.

My friends nicknamed me Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, but my spine is worth a silly joke
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 03:18 PM   #43
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton005 View Post
I've used a camelback for pretty much a decade now, recently switched to water bottles. I rarely needed a craptonn of water on an epic long ride. Found myself carrying much more water than I usually needed which seemed silly. In so many rides I think I ran out of water once, wasn't a huge deal, just thought I had more water than I did. The thing that really got me this year, I was out on my first bike ride of the spring, almost took a big drink of water and happened to look at the bite piece, it was black with mold. Got home threw it out. It is just a pain in the ass to clean compared to water bottles that I can toss in the dishwasher when I'm done. If I need to bring a bunch of water, I can still throw some water pouch or extra bottles in my pack no problems.
Clean easily by rinsing with a cup of 50/50 Water and Mouthwash, shake it up good.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 06:53 PM   #44
pierrox
Unicyclist

I clean mine with denture tablets, it's perfect and it leaves it clean and fresh. I do it once a week, after my weekend ride, and I rince it as I shower. So it's an easy task altogether.
The main thing though, is to make sure it can dry properly. I used to have a wire coat hanger I had reshaped to make sure the water tank doesn't stick to itself. And I always take the bite bit out so that air can travel through the main hose and dry.
Have had mine for several years now, and never ran into mold problems once I got into that routine.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 07:01 AM   #45
rrurban
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
I clean mine with denture tablets, it's perfect and it leaves it clean and fresh. I do it once a week.
Great idea with the denture tablets, hope you need them only for the water pack and not fake teeth I always wipe mine out with 2 paper towels never had any issues but it rarely sits for more than 3 days
Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion
Rider since May 2016
rrurban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camelbaks