Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2003-09-23, 08:39 PM   #16
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Wallis
I am a fan of lumbar type hydration packs for muni because they tend to bounce less and I feel less encumbered with no shoulder straps. I recently found one I think is great, the Hydra Pak Hip-Sip 70. It was the only one I could find with enough capacity after my discontinued Camelbak Bandido was stolen. Now that I have used it for 100 muni miles I am extremely satisfied and it is much better than the Bandido.
Nice! I also have a Camelbak Bandido. I use the Bandido for shorter rides since it only holds 70 oz. Good lumbar (bum bag) style packs are great for muni. They are more stable than a backpack style pack.

The hard part is finding a lumbar style pack that holds 70 oz of water along with enough storage for gear. All I see in the stores are the little ones that hold 40 oz to 50 oz and no room for gear. I've seen the 50 oz Hydrapak Hip Sip 50 at REI but never the 70 oz model. I didn't even know they made a 70 oz model. Now I have something to replace the Camelbak Bandido when it finally dies. Sweet!
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-23, 09:00 PM   #17
S_Wallis

Quote:
Originally posted by john_childs
Nice! I also have a Camelbak Bandido. I use the Bandido for shorter rides since it only holds 70 oz. Good lumbar (bum bag) style packs are great for muni. They are more stable than a backpack style pack.

The hard part is finding a lumbar style pack that holds 70 oz of water along with enough storage for gear. All I see in the stores are the little ones that hold 40 oz to 50 oz and no room for gear. I've seen the 50 oz Hydrapak Hip Sip 50 at REI but never the 70 oz model. I didn't even know they made a 70 oz model. Now I have something to replace the Camelbak Bandido when it finally dies. Sweet!
Yes, I was really upset when my Bandido went away and couldn't be replaced, but after several days of web searching I found the this and it really is better in every way. The only thing I miss is the side pockets the Bandido had which were easy to access while riding. Great for the cell
phone and snacks.
A couple of points about capacity:
I don't mind carrying a supplemental bottle in the pack because it is nice to know that when you suck the pack dry in the middle of nowhere, you have a reserve. Otherwise I sometimes don't notice that I have used all my water and I am a long way from home. I also kind of like having Gatorade once in a while along the ride.
Also, I have discovered the importance of "pre-hydrating", at least for me. I now drink a quart of Gatorade within 30 minutes of the start of a ride, and I find I drink much less water until later in the ride. So, carrying 70 oz seems to work when I would have needed 100 oz before.

Scott
Old 2003-09-23, 10:30 PM   #18
chirokid
The Russian Bear!!!

Send a message via AIM to chirokid
I have learned a lot on this thread.

I ride with an old camelbac, 1.5 liter. I have been planning on replacing it with a newer model. The H.A.W.G. and the Mule are two I have been considering.

Then you guys start talking about the back-pack style not staying in place well enough while riding. Mine always does great. In fact, I rarely even notice it is on my back, until I feel the need for fluid, then I'm glad it is there. Almost all my lunchtime rides are very mild river walk style trails, sidewalks or roads.

Today I did a lunch ride and decided to do some hopping and field riding. Wow, was I amazed. My camelbac was bouncing around everywhere.

I will look into the waist models and low back models. Thanks to all for the great thread and all the links. --chirokid--
Old 2003-09-23, 11:05 PM   #19
unibiker
What is that thing anyway?

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Wallis
Also, I have discovered the importance of "pre-hydrating", at least for me.

Scott
At least for everyone, whether they realize it or not.

My camelbak is only the 70oz model, but with pre-hydration, it’s plenty whether I’m running, dirt biking, unicycling, or unibiking. If only I could wear it for windsurfing. You know the saying ‘by the time you’re thirsty, you’ve waited too long’. Pre-hydration is very popular among long distance runners. Along with carb and fat loading the day before, it is also recommended to drink a lot of excess fluids the day before, as well as the morning of the run. A little practice will teach you how much you can drink, as well as how soon before a long run or ride, without having to stop 15 minutes into the race to look for a tree. Apparently, once you start working hard and perspiring heavily, the kidneys and bladder stop their annoying production (as long as you don’t stop to rest). From this point, continuing to drink at regular intervals (before thirst), will help to give you that second wind many times during a race or long ride. Or (as you said) , at least for me.

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!! > > > > Unibiker's Photo Gallery
unibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-24, 12:06 AM   #20
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

I had a request to show how if the Roach pads can be strapped to the Ultimate Direction XSpurt pack.

The Roach arms fit in the external cargo area very well. I usually stuff the Roach arms in there when the ride starts off with a logging road climb.

The Roach legs don't fit as well. You can fit them in sideways, but then they stick out like a pair of wings. If you get an additional strap you could strap them on vertically, but you'd have to fiddle around with jerry rigging your own modified strapping system.

Here's a picture showing how the Roach arms and Roach legs can be strapped on the pack.
Attached Images

Old 2003-09-24, 01:20 AM   #21
dustin
Type something clever here.

John, thanks for the pics and good info. I have also been searching the market recently for a new hydration system. My Blackburn Hydrapak works great, but at 70 oz it's just too small for 3+ hour rides and it doesn't have the kind of storage space I would like.

I was all set on the 100oz Camelback MULE until I read John Childs' review of the Ultimate Direction Xspurt. After some additional research and trips to the store to check out some packs I'm quite settled on the UDX...yup that's gonna be it. Plus I really dont think you can beat the $40 deal going on at Supergo right now. This pack usually goes for $80.

This thread has been most useful and informative...thanks everyone!
dustin kelm isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-24, 05:25 AM   #22
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

I was reading my copy of Dirt Rag and saw an advertisement for New Sun hydration packs. The packs have the low on the back style similar to the Ultimate Direction packs. The New Sun packs look good from the pictures. I haven't seen any at local stores so I don't know how they look in person. Might be worth checking out, maybe.
Old 2003-09-24, 01:46 PM   #23
UniBrier
Time To Ride

Hydration pack on sale at Nashbar

Bike Nashbar has the Platypus Typhoon 2002 on close out for 34.99 US.

I have the Platypus Thunderhead, which is a bit smaller but still with good storage, with a 100oz/3L bladder. Platypus uses a large plastic zip lock so the opening is big. The bite valve is good too.

Fall/winter is a great time to buy equipment on close outs and inventory reduction.

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-24, 03:21 PM   #24
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

Pre-hydration:

In long-distance backpacking we call it "cameling up". When it's 20 miles of desert hiking to the next water source you spend extra time at the stream (or pump, or cow trough) and drink from 1 to 3 liters, essentially using your stomach as a canteen. It places the water directly at your center of mass, automatically drips it into your system continuously, and makes use of a storage device that you would have to carry anyway!
Old 2003-09-24, 10:31 PM   #25
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

Re: Camelbaks....

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:21:32 -0500, U-Turn
<U-Turn.u9nxu@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>[I] drink from 1 to 3 liters,
>Small fish, big pond

I say!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Old 2003-09-24, 10:36 PM   #26
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:05:01 -0500, unibiker
<unibiker.u8eki@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Apparently, once you start working hard and perspiring heavily, the
>kidneys and bladder stop their annoying production (as long as you don’t
>stop to rest).

I even have the impression that when appropriate the human body can
resorb some H2O that is already in the bladder. I have noticed that
when I have an urge to urinate but ignore it, it can get significantly
less when I'm sweating and thirsty for a longish time . Anyone know
whether this makes sense at all?

--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Old 2003-10-02, 07:28 PM   #27
dustin
Type something clever here.

Quote:
Originally posted by john_childs
My favorite backpack style hydration pack is the Ultimate Direction XSpurt

SuperGo has last years model on sale. Sale link Price is $39.98. Last years model had a different bite valve than this years model. The old style bite valve works just fine for me.

The big advantage to the Ultimate Direction packs is that they're more stable than the Camelbak and other packs. The Ultimate Direction packs sit lower on your back rather than higher up by your shoulders. With the pack down lower it doesn't bounce around as much when you jump around. I'm perfectly happy jumping up a flight of stairs with my Ultimate Direction pack on. The pack stays put on my back. If I had a Camelbak I'd be taking the pack off and throwing it on the ground when I start jumping around.

The yoke on the shoulder straps is adjustable by use of Velcro. You adjust the yoke so the pack sits at the right spot on your back.

It's a fairly roomy pack. At Moab I put two bladders in the pack.

It's the best pack on the market, IMHO, even though the Camelbak's are way more popular.
I found a pack at good ol' Wal-Mart with almost the same features as the Ultimate Direction Xspurt. The bladder is only 2 liters, but everything else is almost the same...Outdoor Products $29.95 at Wal-Mart. At that price you could still afford to buy the larger bladder from Ultimate Direction if you need it. I just won an auction for this years model of the Xspurt on EBay otherwise I would seriously consider the Outdoor Products pack.
dustin kelm isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-02, 08:18 PM   #28
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

Re: Re: Camelbaks....

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaas Bil
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:05:01 -0500, unibiker
<unibiker.u8eki@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
I even have the impression that when appropriate the human body can resorb some H2O that is already in the bladder. I have noticed that when I have an urge to urinate but ignore it, it can get significantly less when I'm sweating and thirsty for a longish time . Anyone know whether this makes sense at all?
It makes sense to me. I've watched water changes all over my body in terms of sweat, mucus production, eye moisture, production of urine, even lower back pain. I believe there is a water manager that anticipates needs and supply and controls use of moisture all over the body for many, many uses. No scientific data; just observation and experimentation.
Old 2003-10-02, 10:02 PM   #29
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:18:15 -0500, U-Turn
<U-Turn.uouyy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Klaas Bil wrote:
>> I even have the impression that when appropriate the human body can
>> resorb some H2O that is already in the bladder. Anyone know
>> whether this makes sense at all?

>It makes sense to me.

I asked an urologist the other day and he said it isn't possible.

--

Old 2003-10-03, 12:51 AM   #30
Jester2000
old miyata saddles are sexy

I gotta quick question....

I just bought this cheap version of a camelback at Walmart for 30 bucks... It seems to be pretty nice (I'll post some pictures later...) but when I bite down on the valve, I have to suck to get water! I thought that you just bite down, and it flows into your mouth??

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Maybe I shouldn't have got such a cheap one.....

-Jess
Jester2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camelbaks