Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-09-12, 11:01 PM   #1
1kw
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12
Unicycle muni/touring clothes?

Any advice on what to wear other than the typical ultra lite gear? Are running shoes sufficient for unicycling? What pants are recommended?

Was thinking about doing 300 miles on a 26"😱
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 01:38 AM   #2
The_SkunkMan
Andrew
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: VA
Age: 24
Posts: 196
Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
What you wear will really depends on where you are riding and your pace. I would say you should just take a look at what local hikers and/or bikepackers are wearing. The only difference with hikers will be the shoes and cycling shorts.

I'm in the camp of, if it is going to rain, chances are you are getting soaked regardless, so I prefer quick drying to heavier items that keep water out. I've ridden in Merrel Moab Ventilators (shoes) for awhile. They aren't terrible, and most trail running shoes will probably be a little grippier. I only disliked the Moabs because the sole is a little stiff and my feet would occasionally slide on the pedals. If you want, the common cycling shoes like FiveTens will work too, but may take a little more time to dry out (I have no idea if they have lighter versions than the Spitfires I have).

I don't have much to provide on cycling shorts. I would also say that if the weather will be above freezing (or whatever the lowest limit you can tolerate) you can get away without worrying about pants. The lighter and less volume in total, the better.

All that said, I haven't done any serious unipacking as of yet, just some hiking every now and then.

Last edited by The_SkunkMan; 2017-09-13 at 01:41 AM.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 03:34 AM   #3
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist
 
lightbulbjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_SkunkMan View Post
I only disliked the Moabs because the sole is a little stiff
Generally you want stiff soles for cycling. You get better power transfer and avoid pressure hotspots on your feet.

Very stiff soles can be awkward to walk in though, so there is a trade off to be made.
__________________
Unicycling is the fountain of youth.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 03:42 AM   #4
The_SkunkMan
Andrew
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: VA
Age: 24
Posts: 196
Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Generally you want stiff soles for cycling. You get better power transfer and avoid pressure hotspots on your feet.

Very stiff soles can be awkward to walk in though, so there is a trade off to be made.
Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose I meant the outsole rubber isn't as soft and tends to slide more. I didn't mean the stiffness/inability to flex the entire sole.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 04:16 AM   #5
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
Age: 49
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kw View Post
Was thinking about doing 300 miles on a 26"😱
While we're on the subject of breaking records...

1kw, if my count is correct, of your 11 posts, 9 of them were thread-starters, and the other 2 posts were in threads you started. Please, every time you have an idea, consider adding your reflections to an appropriate, already existing thread, rather than starting a new one.

Personally, I am guilty of threadjacking. If I had my way, I'd turn any thread into a discussion of why SIF and handlebars are the way of the future. But I have never started a new thread. Not once. And, for the record, multi-quote is still confusing-as-hell.

So, back on topic, if you want to ride 300 miles, start working on your SIF and get some handlebars.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 03:44 PM   #6
1kw
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
While we're on the subject of breaking records...

1kw, if my count is correct, of your 11 posts, 9 of them were thread-starters, and the other 2 posts were in threads you started. Please, every time you have an idea, consider adding your reflections to an appropriate, already existing thread, rather than starting a new one.

Personally, I am guilty of threadjacking. If I had my way, I'd turn any thread into a discussion of why SIF and handlebars are the way of the future. But I have never started a new thread. Not once. And, for the record, multi-quote is still confusing-as-hell.

So, back on topic, if you want to ride 300 miles, start working on your SIF and get some handlebars.

Good for you. Go post your opinion elsewhere. I created this thread to have a few insights of more recent shoes, gear, than digging up a 3 year old thread

Last edited by 1kw; 2017-09-14 at 03:44 PM.
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clothes, muni or touring, unicycle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unicycle clothes knoxuni General Unicycling Discussions 6 2012-04-16 05:42 PM
Danish unicycle clothes! OUK General Unicycling Discussions 2 2012-01-17 10:15 PM
Oh you unicycle? excuse me while i take my clothes off... AlisterBurt General Unicycling Discussions 0 2010-06-14 08:47 PM
What are the practical differences between a 29" touring unicycle and 29"muni? Luderart General Unicycling Discussions 28 2010-05-01 04:14 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
Page generated in 0.08490 seconds with 10 queries