Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-09-12, 11:01 PM   #1
1kw
Unicyclist

Unicycle muni/touring clothes?

Any advice on what to wear other than the typical ultra lite gear? Are running shoes sufficient for unicycling? What pants are recommended?

Was thinking about doing 300 miles on a 26"😱
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 01:38 AM   #2
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
What you wear will really depends on where you are riding and your pace. I would say you should just take a look at what local hikers and/or bikepackers are wearing. The only difference with hikers will be the shoes and cycling shorts.

I'm in the camp of, if it is going to rain, chances are you are getting soaked regardless, so I prefer quick drying to heavier items that keep water out. I've ridden in Merrel Moab Ventilators (shoes) for awhile. They aren't terrible, and most trail running shoes will probably be a little grippier. I only disliked the Moabs because the sole is a little stiff and my feet would occasionally slide on the pedals. If you want, the common cycling shoes like FiveTens will work too, but may take a little more time to dry out (I have no idea if they have lighter versions than the Spitfires I have).

I don't have much to provide on cycling shorts. I would also say that if the weather will be above freezing (or whatever the lowest limit you can tolerate) you can get away without worrying about pants. The lighter and less volume in total, the better.

All that said, I haven't done any serious unipacking as of yet, just some hiking every now and then.

Last edited by The_SkunkMan; 2017-09-13 at 01:41 AM.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 03:34 AM   #3
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_SkunkMan View Post
I only disliked the Moabs because the sole is a little stiff
Generally you want stiff soles for cycling. You get better power transfer and avoid pressure hotspots on your feet.

Very stiff soles can be awkward to walk in though, so there is a trade off to be made.
Old 2017-09-13, 03:42 AM   #4
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Generally you want stiff soles for cycling. You get better power transfer and avoid pressure hotspots on your feet.

Very stiff soles can be awkward to walk in though, so there is a trade off to be made.
Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose I meant the outsole rubber isn't as soft and tends to slide more. I didn't mean the stiffness/inability to flex the entire sole.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 04:16 AM   #5
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kw View Post
Was thinking about doing 300 miles on a 26"😱
While we're on the subject of breaking records...

1kw, if my count is correct, of your 11 posts, 9 of them were thread-starters, and the other 2 posts were in threads you started. Please, every time you have an idea, consider adding your reflections to an appropriate, already existing thread, rather than starting a new one.

Personally, I am guilty of threadjacking. If I had my way, I'd turn any thread into a discussion of why SIF and handlebars are the way of the future. But I have never started a new thread. Not once. And, for the record, multi-quote is still confusing-as-hell.

So, back on topic, if you want to ride 300 miles, start working on your SIF and get some handlebars.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 03:44 PM   #6
1kw
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
While we're on the subject of breaking records...

1kw, if my count is correct, of your 11 posts, 9 of them were thread-starters, and the other 2 posts were in threads you started. Please, every time you have an idea, consider adding your reflections to an appropriate, already existing thread, rather than starting a new one.

Personally, I am guilty of threadjacking. If I had my way, I'd turn any thread into a discussion of why SIF and handlebars are the way of the future. But I have never started a new thread. Not once. And, for the record, multi-quote is still confusing-as-hell.

So, back on topic, if you want to ride 300 miles, start working on your SIF and get some handlebars.

Good for you. Go post your opinion elsewhere. I created this thread to have a few insights of more recent shoes, gear, than digging up a 3 year old thread

Last edited by 1kw; 2017-09-14 at 03:44 PM.
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothes, muni or touring, unicycle