Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-09-05, 07:40 PM   #1
unibokk
Unicyclist

Red loctite on spokes

I'm having to stop too many times to tighten up spokes on my Impulse 36er.

It has a dished wheel. I've used medium strength glue which subsequently failed. So now I'm going to try using red Loctite to stop the spoke nuts from unravelling.

Has anybody ever tried this ?
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-05, 07:48 PM   #2
LanceB
This space available

Wow, that's brave! I would recommend at least doing a couple experimental attachments first, to see how long the joint remained flexible before solidifying. I would be afraid of not being able to finish the lacing job and truing the wheel, before the nipple could not be turned at all.
Good luck!
Old 2017-09-05, 07:55 PM   #3
TMason
Todd Mason

Are you certain they are properly tensioned? I constantly battled loose spokes each ride on my 36er until I tensioned them up to 22 on the Parks TM-1 gauge. Haven't touched a spoke since and that was a couple hundred miles ago.
TMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-05, 08:06 PM   #4
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Wow, that's brave! I would recommend at least doing a couple experimental attachments first, to see how long the joint remained flexible before solidifying. I would be afraid of not being able to finish the lacing job and truing the wheel, before the nipple could not be turned at all.
Good luck!

Thanks Lance

I did a test on a spare spoke earlier this evening and I was still able to turn the nipple two hours later.
Old 2017-09-05, 08:10 PM   #5
aj1500
Unicyclist

I am still new to uni's but as a mechanic I am no stranger to loctite and I can say I would not use red on the spokes. try the green or blue
red once cured requires heat to loosen it back up again
if you ever need to go back and adjust the spokes you would most likely round the outer nut then after that get the vise grips out and then snap off the spoke while trying to get it loose
Just saying
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-05, 08:15 PM   #6
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMason View Post
Are you certain they are properly tensioned? I constantly battled loose spokes each ride on my 36er until I tensioned them up to 22 on the Parks TM-1 gauge. Haven't touched a spoke since and that was a couple hundred miles ago.
Thanks T.. No, I don't think the tension is quite right on them, but I don't have a Parks TM-1 gauge

I read somewhere that the tension on one side of a dished wheel is different to the tension on the other side, so tensioning a dished wheel is not so straight forward.
Old 2017-09-05, 08:25 PM   #7
anton005
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
Thanks T.. No, I don't think the tension is quite right on them, but I don't have a Parks TM-1 gauge

I read somewhere that the tension on one side of a dished wheel is different to the tension on the other side, so tensioning a dished wheel is not so straight forward.
It's no big deal to go around and give them all a half turn (or a quarter turn), if it the wheel gets pulled to one side by a millimeter you would never notice it. Chances are it's out of dish anyway. A loose wheel will flex from side to side a centimeter or more when you ride it.

loctite is bad for spokes, next time you have to adjust them the whole spoke will twist instead of just the nipple... that is a problem.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-05, 08:32 PM   #8
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
I am still new to uni's but as a mechanic I am no stranger to loctite and I can say I would not use red on the spokes. try the green or blue
red once cured requires heat to loosen it back up again
if you ever need to go back and adjust the spokes you would most likely round the outer nut then after that get the vise grips out and then snap off the spoke while trying to get it loose
Just saying

Yep, I understand what you are saying. I've tried a medium strength glue equivalent to blue Loctite but it didn't work.

The gamble is that I get the spokes reasonably well tensioned and hope they stay that way. If ever I need to re-tension a spoke I just simply apply heat and loosen the nipple with a spoke spanner.

The test spoke that I mentioned to Lance will be used to see how effectively I can use heat to loosen the glue bond. I'm leaving the glue to cure for at least 24 hours before applying any heat to the nipple. If this works out then I will consider going ahead with my plan.

Last edited by unibokk; 2017-09-05 at 08:33 PM.
Old 2017-09-05, 08:38 PM   #9
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Linseed oil

I use linseed oil.

Linseed Oil can be found at a local hardware store or Art shop (its used to thin oil paints). The point of spoke prep is to provide some lubrication when lacing and truing the wheel and then to act as a bit of a thread-lock to keep spokes from easily loosening.

Usually I can get away with using a tooth pick to place a drop on the spoke at where it enters the nipple and let linseed oil wick into the threads after building the wheel. You will not have a problem later re-adjusting spoke tension.

You can purchase a couple different "spoke prep" solutions made for dealing with your problem.

I also turn my spokes a half turn past and then back them off a half turn as I true my builds to remove spoke twist and preload the spoke with tightening twist/tension.

Joe Myers

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-05, 08:40 PM   #10
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton005 View Post
It's no big deal to go around and give them all a half turn (or a quarter turn), if it the wheel gets pulled to one side by a millimeter you would never notice it. Chances are it's out of dish anyway. A loose wheel will flex from side to side a centimeter or more when you ride it.

loctite is bad for spokes, next time you have to adjust them the whole spoke will twist instead of just the nipple... that is a problem.

It's not the wheel being perfectly centred that concerns me it's more to do with the tension dynamics.

I'm hoping that the glue can be loosened so that the spoke doesn't get twisted, as you mention.
Old 2017-09-05, 08:47 PM   #11
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
I use linseed oil.

Linseed Oil can be found at a local hardware store or Art shop (its used to thin oil paints). The point of spoke prep is to provide some lubrication when lacing and truing the wheel and then to act as a bit of a thread-lock to keep spokes from easily loosening.

Usually I can get away with using a tooth pick to place a drop on the spoke at where it enters the nipple and let linseed oil wick into the threads after building the wheel. You will not have a problem later re-adjusting spoke tension.

You can purchase a couple different "spoke prep" solutions made for dealing with your problem.

I also turn my spokes a half turn past and then back them off a half turn as I true my builds to remove spoke twist and preload the spoke with tightening twist/tension.

Joe Myers

Thanks bungeejoe. That sounds like good advise and less risky too. I might try your suggestion before proceeding any further with the red Loctite.
Old 2017-09-05, 09:42 PM   #12
UPD
fail better.

Yeah, more specifically, boiled linseed oil. Came highly recommended by Silva Cycles in Campbell , Ca when I built my Schlumpf wheel.
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 02:21 AM   #13
JimT
Unicyclist

If a thread lock is really needed and there is no consensus that it is needed, there is one that is designed specifically for spokes.

DT Swiss Spoke Freeze was developed in conjunction with Loctite. This threadlock solution prevents loosening of the spoke-nipple connection.

Spoke Freeze locks nipples in place, but allows for up to five adjustments before the compound breaks down. The 10ml bottle will freeze approximately 100 wheels.

Seems quite expensive but is widely available.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 04:04 AM   #14
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
So now I'm going to try using red Loctite to stop the spoke nuts from unravelling.
Most of us refer to them as spoke nipples, but I guess it depends on what gender you assign your unicycle.

I rebuilt my 20" a couple of times, only using a drop of bicycle chain oil on each spoke. The second time, when I had done it correctly, I trued my wheel and tightened it up a couple of times after the first couple of rides, and that was about two years ago. Since then it has never gone out of true, even though I do plenty of stairways.

I would never put loctite on my spokes, especially red loctite. A dished 36 is more complicated, and probably more subject to loosening than a 20, but my guess is still that if you true it and get it tight enough, you won't need any thread locker.

Spoke nipples that cannot be twisted with a spoke wrench are annoying. I associate them with cheap or corroded wheels, and I definitely would not create such a situation deliberately.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 06:28 AM   #15
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Yeah, more specifically, boiled linseed oil. Came highly recommended by Silva Cycles in Campbell , Ca when I built my Schlumpf wheel.
Thanks UPD.

Tags
loctite, red, spokes