Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-08-10, 11:46 PM   #16
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
started at 53 .... still learning
lol, figure that'll be me too
oldfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 11:58 PM   #17
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Thanks CG.
When I first learned, I was 5'10" and about 225lb, if memory serves me correctly. Now, I'm 200lb, so I'm "gaining" in that regard

When my brother sees me riding, hopefully he won't have an excuse to keep from learning He's always been a "I can do it".
lol, going to be no mercy if he starts talking about his running and stuff and then I start telling him that I can unicycle and he can't
Old 2017-08-11, 01:27 AM   #18
Curious George
Unicyclist

Sounds like a great plan to get him hooked. Good luck with your OWN journey!
Curious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 09:44 PM   #19
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post
Sounds like a great plan to get him hooked. Good luck with your OWN journey!
Thanks CG. And good luck to yours. The 20" has made it easier to start again. Now just need to get seat at proper height.
Old 2017-08-13, 02:15 AM   #20
Curious George
Unicyclist

Today was my 91st day riding, and I finally broke the 1 mile barrier, at 1.15 miles. Of course I had to measure how far I rode around the schoolyard! The more I ride, the more I am able to relax on the seat and glide along.
Curious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 04:55 AM   #21
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post
Today was my 91st day riding, and I finally broke the 1 mile barrier, at 1.15 miles. Of course I had to measure how far I rode around the schoolyard! The more I ride, the more I am able to relax on the seat and glide along.
Keep up the hard work and it will get easier. Good job keeping at it!
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 06:07 AM   #22
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Congrats CG.
Old 2017-08-25, 03:38 PM   #23
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatboy View Post
Forgot to mention that part of my reasoning for asking is that my oldest brother will turn 68 about 4 weeks after I turn 65....later this year.
Whereas I am out of shape, clumsy, and have bad eye to hand coordination, he is just the opposite. He has run marathons after age 60, runs about every day, rides mountainbike, and does a lot of hiking. However, he doesn't think he could ride a unicycle even tho I did and am trying again.
So, looking for instances of people that have learned after age of 60

PS don't know how to edit the title, I see the mistake
Give it up Fatboy, you are going to go injure yourself trying to make the grade. Unless, of course, just like your brother, you could run marathons, ride MTB's and do a lot of thinking.....er sorry that's hiking, After all if you did a lot of thinking you would realise the absolute potential dangers, in a fraction of a second, that could happen during one of the most obscure balancing-acts you might be foolish enough to attempt.....maybe not.

Sell you soul to beelzebub do something with your life.....lol
Old 2017-08-25, 05:49 PM   #24
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

I'm 57 5'8" 160 bls and just 10 hours into learning. I have a 20" Club and practice at local tennis courts. Don't like the going along fence so started at the net post. Nice sturdy net post and a tight net where the trick for me. You start at the post and hold top of net. The closer to the middle of the net it gets more wobbly so you can't relay on it too much. This was just the right thing for me.

After awhile as I rode along net I could let go and then re-grab. I saw videos saying not to ride along fence too long but to just get up and go without anything. This was scary at first but I believe it has helped me learn the balance point better.

I practice for an hour a day and it takes about 20 minutes before I even start to not be scared out of my mind. A thousand 2-3 feet runs with a few 20 foot runs mixed in when I get lucky. It was at the 9 hour mark things I began to really get hope that I was getting it.
ScaredOldKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 06:10 PM   #25
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyclism View Post
Give it up Fatboy, you are going to go injure yourself trying to make the grade. Unless, of course, just like your brother, you could run marathons, ride MTB's and do a lot of thinking.....er sorry that's hiking, After all if you did a lot of thinking you would realise the absolute potential dangers, in a fraction of a second, that could happen during one of the most obscure balancing-acts you might be foolish enough to attempt.....maybe not.

monocyclism, that gave me a good laugh, thanks Perhaps it is the thinking, or lack thereof, that I am trying to ride again.
Be glad when I get moved so I can get back to putting time on my Torker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid View Post
I'm 57 5'8" 160 bls and just 10 hours into learning. I have a 20" Club and practice at local tennis courts. Don't like the going along fence so started at the net post. Nice sturdy net post and a tight net where the trick for me. You start at the post and hold top of net. The closer to the middle of the net it gets more wobbly so you can't relay on it too much. This was just the right thing for me.

After awhile as I rode along net I could let go and then re-grab. I saw videos saying not to ride along fence too long but to just get up and go without anything. This was scary at first but I believe it has helped me learn the balance point better.

I practice for an hour a day and it takes about 20 minutes before I even start to not be scared out of my mind. A thousand 2-3 feet runs with a few 20 foot runs mixed in when I get lucky. It was at the 9 hour mark things I began to really get hope that I was getting it.
Congrats SOC. Can't wait to read more about your improvement(s) and accomplishments.
Frustrating for me to finally get to ride again, then suddenly have to get moved into town all within 2 weeks. But there are lots of areas to ride that are close to the apartment that I am moving into.
Old 2017-08-25, 06:38 PM   #26
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Give it up Fatboy…

…you might be foolish enough to attempt.....

To late Geoff, I already ran away to slave for a spot under the big top.
My heart beats to Entrance of the Gladiators! If only they would turn the spotlights on me and my clown nose might make the crowd cheer!

Soon Fatboy will be riding the rails too.

Joe Myers

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-28, 08:26 AM   #27
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
To late Geoff, I already ran away to slave for a spot under the big top.
My heart beats to Entrance of the Gladiators! If only they would turn the spotlights on me and my clown nose might make the crowd cheer!

Soon Fatboy will be riding the rails too.

Joe Myers
Ha ha! methinks it’s not the clown nose that makes the crowd cheer…..it’s those darn juggle-balls! Now then, I hope you are taking into account the advice to Fatboy – even though he is not listening! Huh maybe not.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0
Old 2017-08-29, 04:33 AM   #28
slamdance
Unicyclist

Seriously 10-15hrs

Whoever came up with the 15hr rule?

I took 70 hrs or 2 months of everyday & 2x day sessions for me to learn.
If you can learn under 15hrs...I consider you a "natural".

So, if you are still at 10, 20, 30,....50 hrs...keep it up!!!
You will learn...Keep on!!!

I'm in my early half century age, btw.

Last edited by slamdance; 2017-08-29 at 04:34 AM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 05:57 AM   #29
oldfatboy
Unicyclist

Quote:
Ha ha! methinks it’s not the clown nose that makes the crowd cheer…..it’s those darn juggle-balls! Now then, I hope you are taking into account the advice to Fatboy – even though he is not listening! Huh maybe not.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0
lol, don't know about Fatboy, but oldfatboy is here reading when I have a free moment.
About completely packed and signed lease today, so will be moving starting Friday 1st.
Then I'll have time to ride again.

Oh, btw, cleaning and packing the last closet, and I found my sixsixone knee/shin guards! Now I have them along with the KH guards that I just bought.
Old 2017-08-30, 03:12 PM   #30
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I took 70 hrs or 2 months of everyday & 2x day sessions for me to learn.
amazing: same for me! (glad to see I am not the only "un_natural" rider!)

Tags
age, learn, rid, unicycle