Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-05-22, 09:40 PM   #46
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I've not cleaned my water bladder once since I got it... I feel sort of grim now.

On the thing about accidentally running out of water - my bladder is 3L, and so I've only ever ran out on one or two longer rides really. When I did my metric century last year I had to fill it up about 40 miles in! I was chugging it like crazy though Maybe some electrolyte tablets or something like that should've been used. I can feel the bladder if I reach round the back of the backpack, on the inside of the back support bit, and that usually gives me a good enough indication of the fill level
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 11:08 PM   #47
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

I also rarely clean mine. Only keep water in it and just store it in the fridge (full of water). I have a reminder set on my phone to clean it every six months.

Cleaning it after every use would be a major PITA, because I'd have to disassemble the bite valve and get all the parts dried out.

Last edited by lightbulbjim; 2017-05-22 at 11:09 PM. Reason: my words disappeared
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-09, 07:44 PM   #48
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Thought I'd resurrect this to get a couple of product recommendations

I already have a nice big 3L bladder (Off the top of my head, I think it's Source branded). I've also got a fairly large backpack that I put it in, and a crappy little drawstring bag I put it in for short rides. I'm looking for something to replace the drawstring bag!

Basically I want one of those packs that are just big enough to fit the bladder in, with maybe a sandwich and a couple of tools, but none of the ones I've seen seem to fit the 3L bladders They all seem to jump from '2l bladder and 1l storage' to '3l bladder and 10l storage' without anything inbetween.

What are you all using for long but lightweight rides?
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2017-09-11, 08:00 PM   #49
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I'm going to still recommend my Camelbak Mule. For two reasons. First, I have no direct experience with other types in over 10 years, and second, because you don't have to put other stuff in it.

I know exactly what you mean by not wanting too much space. While it can make the pack a little more bulky, it can also end up "collecting" things, things that might be necessary on a ride, and getting bigger/heavier. Mine carries some food bars and/or Clif Shots, a weightless space blanket, a set of tire irons and very little else. Sometimes I shove a lightweight jacket in there, which I forget to take out for many months because it really is light.

I'm sure there is something out there that will fit a large bladder without being too much larger. My older Mule is pretty compact, while my more recent one is quite a bit bulkier.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 10:48 PM   #50
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I've also been looking at the Lobo which seems to be more in my direction - basically the bladder pouch with a couple of zippy pockets on the front. I think I might go for it! Anyone tried it?
Old 2017-09-12, 06:26 AM   #51
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

I am quite happy with a Deuter Speed Lite 10 (10,0 L). It is pretty small, light but also gives you the possibility to bring a jacket and a sandwich when needed. Both the 2L and 3L bladder fit nicely in the special pocket.

Whatever you buy I highly recommend one with a hip strap. The very small ones sometimes don´t have one. If you hop with them, they flap on your back...
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 06:36 AM   #52
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Take a look at the Source packs too. I have a Spinner Pro (2L bladder, minimalist pack) and a Race 15L (3L bladder, less minimalist but still not a full backpack). I mainly use the Race and really like the pockets on the waist belt for snacks etc I want to retrieve while riding.

The thing that originally sold me on Source vs Camelbak was the fact that the Source bladders can be opened right up for cleaning. Turns out that it wasn't such a big deal as I only clean my bladders every six months anyway...
Old 2017-09-12, 01:02 PM   #53
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

The Cleaning ?

Hi all, I use a Camelback Bandito waist pack, and I put an oz. of scope mouthwash with some water and shake it around and dump each week. Cleaned and disinfected !
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 03:35 PM   #54
newob
Unicyclist

+1
I like the CB waistpack too; no straps on shoulders, keeps your back cool, protects your lower back in case of UPD. And safer -- mine is high-viz yellow.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 10:05 PM   #55
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Take a look at the Source packs too. I have a Spinner Pro (2L bladder, minimalist pack) and a Race 15L (3L bladder, less minimalist but still not a full backpack). I mainly use the Race and really like the pockets on the waist belt for snacks etc I want to retrieve while riding.

The thing that originally sold me on Source vs Camelbak was the fact that the Source bladders can be opened right up for cleaning. Turns out that it wasn't such a big deal as I only clean my bladders every six months anyway...
I actually have a Source bladder already (which is the 3L one) it's just that right now I either use it in a large rucksack (which is far too big and heavy for most use) or a simple drawstring pump bag (that's very insecure on my back!), which is why I'm looking at upgrading
Old 2017-09-13, 01:30 AM   #56
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
I actually have a Source bladder already
Oops, that would be me not reading properly. Anyway, the point still stands that there are other brands than Camelbak which are worth looking at .

Tags
camelbaks