Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-09-06, 01:00 AM   #2041
UPD
fail better.

Ah good idea John Foss-- coat with a layer of grease for extra protection to the sides of the hub to keep water out. Im thinking perhaps lithium or bearing grease. I'll try it soon as the wet season is nearly upon us. Thanks.
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 01:20 AM   #2042
UPD
fail better.

Of course, Eric said the same but I didnt realize it until John reiterated. Thanks guys. I needed that confirmation
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 09:09 AM   #2043
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Ouch! I doubt that water had anything to do with your problem, unless you opened things up and saw a bunch of rust or other obvious water-related issues.
PeteG is an obsessive bike mechanic- never seen such a thing as rust exist on his bikes/unicycles.

Could have been a faulty seal?

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2017-09-06 at 09:16 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-06, 11:39 AM   #2044
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I'm riding mine all winter and it was quite a lot of times on muddy rides. I've bought it to use it But grease sounds like a good idea for harsh weather.

Last edited by vookash; 2017-09-06 at 11:44 AM.
vookash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 08:25 AM   #2045
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
The hub was on a 26 then 26+ then 29+ and now it's on a 36er.

One thing I notice : the bigger/heavier the wheel is, the more stable and natural it feels in high gear.
In general, the more experience you have with riding a Schlumpf, the more stable and natural it feels. You rode it with successively increasing wheel sizes. What you attribute to a bigger/heavier wheel might actually (or mostly) be an effect of having more experience.

I have two Schlumpf hubs, on 29" and on 36", and they feel equally natural.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 10:16 AM   #2046
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
In general, the more experience you have with riding a Schlumpf, the more stable and natural it feels. You rode it with successively increasing wheel sizes. What you attribute to a bigger/heavier wheel might actually (or mostly) be an effect of having more experience.

I have two Schlumpf hubs, on 29" and on 36", and they feel equally natural.
Of course experience tends to increase how natural it feels, but still, when I took my hub away from my 26er to put it on a 29er I felt an immediate change in term of stability, and the same phenomenon happened when I put it on a 36" wheel.
I think the momentum of the wheel AND it's geometry are part of the explanation.
The bigger the wheel is, the less sensitive to floor irregularities it becomes, and its higher momentum decreases this phenomenon you can feel when you ride in high gear very slowly (especially when you learn to ride a guni directly in high gear without shifting up) : the wheel wants to go further when you push hard on the pedal, or behind depending on which pedal you are putting torque on.
To me, the 36er in high gear feels more like a real 55" then a 26er in high gear would feel like a real 40er.
But there is still a speed range where the high gear on a 36er is worth it : 12-20+ mph bellow this speed I don't find any real advantage to ride in high gear.
And bellow 9-10 mph I just struggle for nothing, but it still feels less awkward than when I was riding at very low speed with smaller gunis.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #2047
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

After spending a few weeks riding my G29 every day, I've gotten a bit complacent with the speed it goes, and have dropped my cranks to the 'short' (117mm) holes - what an insane experience, riding high gear with those short cranks! It's also made the low gear that little bit more useful (As mentioned before, I've found the curse of the G29 people go on about to be 100% true - the high gear is where 99% of my riding is done with the low gear reserved for hard freemounts and heavily pedestrianized areas).

So now I'm curious what crank sizes you all run on your Gunis. It's a tough one I think, because what might feel great on low gear might feel FAR too hard on high (For example, those people who run 100mm's on an ungeared 36er), and what feels great on high gear might feel too slow on the low gear.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #2048
pierrox
Unicyclist

What was the "long" hole on your cranks? 137?

Mine is on 125, I just started to experiment with the high gear, I need to build more confidence but it's getting fun. I totally hear what you're saying if you were on 137, too long to be enjoyable for a road uni.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #2049
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

I'm still finding 125 challenging enough here on my G29 - still feeling the need to use low gear a lot of the time. 140 is my other option and what I've used mostly and I'm thinking I might go back to that for a bit to see if they feel comfortable and I can spend more time in high now I have got a bit of riding in on 125s. Though maybe I just need to try and get out every day on the guni for a couple of weeks - I wish I had somewhere more convenient and nicer to ride it.
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #2050
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
So now I'm curious what crank sizes you all run on your Gunis.
I have 125/150 cranks on my G29 and run them in the 125 hole. I rode in the mountains (Yunnan Unicycle Tour) with this setup.
I have 137/165 cranks on my G36 and run them in the 165 hole. Physically I can easily get close to 30 km/h with this setup. But I don't dare to go faster anyways, so shorter cranks would not be beneficial to speed, and detrimental to control.

The organisors of the Düsseldorf marathon (discontinued since a few years) have recorded and published geared hubs and crank lengths. You might be able to find them online somewhere. Google in German: results is "ergebnisse" and unicycle is "einrad". Make sure that you have the unicycle results published by Frisch Auf, not the runners results. Then you have a whole bunch of answers to your question. Other marathon organisers may have done the same.

Last edited by Klaas Bil; Today at 09:55 AM.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #2051
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
Other marathon organisers may have done the same.
Yes i have:
Results Europamarathon 2017 (halfmarathon)
28.05.2017: Europamarathon Görlitz
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #2052
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I'm riding my G32 with 150 usually which makes it easy to control in high, but definitely too long in low gear, but nice combination for commuting. For races or other fast rides I switch to 125 and I see the improvement in average speed immediately.
For G27.5 I use 137 and I like it a lot both in low and high gear. My cranks have another option of 110 and I used it a couple of days but found it too low. I'm thinking about getting 137/117 as I expect 117 would be nice for fast rides.
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #2053
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
What was the "long" hole on your cranks? 137?

Mine is on 125, I just started to experiment with the high gear, I need to build more confidence but it's getting fun. I totally hear what you're saying if you were on 137, too long to be enjoyable for a road uni.
Yes the 'long' hole is 137 - they feel good in the high gear and exceptionally controllable in low gear - I'd probably go back to this hole for doing stuff that involves weaving in and out of the general public (Like the big bike ride events in the city) because of the great slow control I get from it. If I ever get a good MUni tyre I'd stick to this crank hole for that too.

Quote:
Though maybe I just need to try and get out every day on the guni for a couple of weeks - I wish I had somewhere more convenient and nicer to ride it.
I've just been commuting to work, with a few 15+ milers on the weekend. It's a nice mix of easy, fast, straight road riding and off-road paths full of pedestrians, so good for learning to switch gears consistently

Interesting to see lots of you G29ers using 125mm - I used this on my unguni 29 and 36er for the longest time so my legs are pretty well used to it as a spinning circle. I probably would've given it a go if KH cranks weren't so expensive!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf