Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-17, 11:43 PM   #46
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I also prefer the eclectic mix of photos. While I'm not a fan of the overall format of the calendar (it's not good for writing stuff on), that doesn't stop me from displaying it. Last year's calendar lived on the wall in my office at work, and I could show people the "unicyclist of the month" and tell a little bit about what they were doing.

Ultimately, that is, if I were making my own version, I'd do a larger format, where the photo (or photos) would occupy one sheet, and the calendar for that month would be on the other, below it. In my country we have what's called Tabloid size, at 11 x 17". I'm sure there is a European equivalent of that. But since those sizes are much less common in personal printers, it could still be printed on regular "letter" or A4 paper.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-18, 10:14 AM   #47
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
it's not good for writing stuff on
Indeed, the calendar is not intended for practical use beyond being inspiring/beautiful. Photopaper (which I recommend) isn't very amenable to writing on anyway.

Quote:
that doesn't stop me from displaying it
What does stop you is that you don't have (requested) a copy for this year's edition.

Quote:
Last year's calendar lived on the wall in my office at work, and I could show people the "unicyclist of the month" and tell a little bit about what they were doing.
That's the spirit!

Quote:
Ultimately, that is, if I were making my own version, I'd do a larger format, where the photo (or photos) would occupy one sheet, and the calendar for that month would be on the other, below it.
That is an option that is often used for calendars to make them bigger than the papaer they're printed on. It's a matter of taste but I think the calendar is big enough as it is.
Also, if the picture occupies a whole A4 (I keep thinking European paper), its aspect ratio must be quite explicitly 'landscape' or 'portrait'. On the current format the allotted space is more squarish (5:4) so that portrait pictures are still possible without too much empty space. (2018 doesn't contain any though.)

Quote:
In my country we have what's called Tabloid size, at 11 x 17". I'm sure there is a European equivalent of that.
In Europe, we do have tabloid size for newspapers. But for consumer printing paper, all I know of is the A series of sizes. The next one up from A4 is A3.

The A* size system is nicely designed. A4 is about 210 x 297 mm. A3 keeps the 297 mm, but the other size is 420 mm. The aspect ratio stays the same from size to size, i.e. the square root of two (about 1.41). The surface area of the 'grand-grandfather', A0, is 1 m2 by definition.

Last edited by Klaas Bil; 2018-01-18 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Klaas Bil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 03:25 AM   #48
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Thanks again, love mine.

Hopefully the beginning of an annual tradition, for me.

Human gyroscope in training.

Last edited by Up Rite; 2018-01-24 at 03:26 AM.
Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-26, 05:28 AM   #49
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
Indeed, the calendar is not intended for practical use beyond being inspiring/beautiful.
Yes, in the end, your format is the best one for maximizing the pictures while fitting a common paper size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil
What does stop you is that you don't have (requested) a copy for this year's edition.
Aw, you noticed! Thanks for the reminder...
[quote-Klaas Bil]A4 is about 210 x 297 mm. A3 keeps the 297 mm, but the other size is 420 mm.[/quote]That would be it; same idea as the non-metric "tabloid". I still remember 210 x 297 from my days working at the ad agency in 1983-4. We did all the brochures for Ford Tractor International. Did you know Dutch text takes up a lot of space compared to most of the other languages (of the Ford Tractor world in those days)? But not as much as Afrikaans, which I think was #1.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-26, 07:30 AM   #50
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Did you know Dutch text takes up a lot of space compared to most of the other languages (of the Ford Tractor world in those days)? But not as much as Afrikaans, which I think was #1.
I always thought that Dutch was about average in that respect. English takes up less space, French uses more - at least, that is my fully non-scientific impression. This probably can be googled though.
Klaas Bil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-26, 11:19 AM   #51
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
I always thought that Dutch was about average in that respect. English takes up less space, French uses more - at least, that is my fully non-scientific impression. This probably can be googled though.
Yeah I agree, the Latin language tree is more descriptive than the Germanic language tree. And Dutch is fairly average.

Don't say negative things about our language Besides Afrikaans should be of about equal length as Dutch since it is old Dutch. It is how our children speak in kindergarten.

Before anyone comments to that statement, this is not a negative vision on Afrikaans, it is just the truth
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, calendar, pictures, unicycling, world