Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-04-30, 06:44 PM   #1
Cyclophobia

Sudden Catastrophic Rim Failure on a Kris Holm 24

While riding my stock Kris Holm 24” at the Milwaukee Unicyclists meet in Red Arrow Park this week, the edge of the rim spontaneously separated. I initially thought that the tire bead had snapped or that the fork had failed since there was a loud “SPROING” sound and a sharp piece of metal was poking into the inside of my calf. Upon looking closer I could see that the side of Kris Holm rim had almost entirely separated from the unicycle. I am still a novice level rider and have never taken any vertical drops with it. The tire was always filled to the maximum recommended pressure and I had been riding for about 20 minutes on flat concrete beforehand.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before or know what caused it? Also, should I buy another Kris Holm rim or is there a stronger rim I should try? Unicycle.com is currently out of stock on the Kris Holm 24 inch rim. I have attached a picture of the failed rim below.
Attached Images

Cyclophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 09:46 PM   #2
Eddbmxdude
THE original 12" Trials vid

That's a pretty old rim. It's actually a bike rim and if you look closely at the section which is still intact you'll see a brake wear indicator line. These rims always used to 'peel' like this. I've had it happen several times to me, although it was always when gapping stairs or something.

I guess it's just a good thing you didn't include the footage of us snorting cocaine from the thighs of prostitutes eh Edd. - Boogie
Eddbmxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 02:14 AM   #3
AJ KJ
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclophobia View Post
While riding my stock Kris Holm 24” at the Milwaukee Unicyclists meet in Red Arrow Park this week, the edge of the rim spontaneously separated. I initially thought that the tire bead had snapped or that the fork had failed since there was a loud “SPROING” sound and a sharp piece of metal was poking into the inside of my calf. Upon looking closer I could see that the side of Kris Holm rim had almost entirely separated from the unicycle. I am still a novice level rider and have never taken any vertical drops with it. The tire was always filled to the maximum recommended pressure and I had been riding for about 20 minutes on flat concrete beforehand.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before or know what caused it? Also, should I buy another Kris Holm rim or is there a stronger rim I should try? Unicycle.com is currently out of stock on the Kris Holm 24 inch rim. I have attached a picture of the failed rim below.
That's really unusual, the current Kris Holm rim is strong, so you could get that as a replacement, but the Nimbus Dominator2 is basically bombproof. Maybe someone on here has managed to break one, but I don't think I've heard of one breaking. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has managed to, but I haven't heard of it (I also haven't been actively looking through broken parts threads).
Old 2017-05-01, 03:46 PM   #4
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

That looks like the same model as I have. I don't do big drops or much hopping but I have ridden it over many miles of rough terrain, tree roots, ruts and rocks, and I have never had that happen.
Old 2017-05-01, 03:52 PM   #5
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ KJ View Post
That's really unusual, the current Kris Holm rim is strong, so you could get that as a replacement, but the Nimbus Dominator2 is basically bombproof. Maybe someone on here has managed to break one, but I don't think I've heard of one breaking. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has managed to, but I haven't heard of it (I also haven't been actively looking through broken parts threads).
No, that's usual on the old KH rim (KH2005 model), a friend of mine got the same issue but less impressive than yours !
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2017-05-01 at 03:53 PM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 05:14 PM   #6
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclophobia View Post

Very impressive! It looks like this was the rim model that had a score down the middle of it, which turned out to be a bad idea, though I've not seen quite as spectacular a failure as this.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 10:21 PM   #7
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

As others have stated that's a known problem with that particular rim, but I don't think we have seen any that seperated quite that much before.

Tags
catastrophic, failure, holm, kris, rim, sudden