Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-07-11, 09:28 PM   #1
JakeXman
Unicyclist

yoyosam.com?

Greetings! Iím looking at the Nimbus 29Ē muni herehttps://www.yoyosam.com/products/nim...cle-or-muni-29
Itís nearly $40 cheaper, and has free shipping. Have any of you guys had any experience with that retailer? Is it reputable? Should I jump on it, or just go through UDC? Thanks in advance,
J.
JakeXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 09:37 PM   #2
JakeXman
Unicyclist

I forgot to mention that I found a 15% coupon so it ends up being around $305 at yoyosam, compared to UDCís $398. The cheap version says it comes with Venture 2 cranks, rather than the VCX on UDC. What might that mean?
J.
Old 2018-07-12, 05:47 AM   #3
song
Unicyclist

That unicycle is probably a few years old. Venture 2 cranks used to be standard for Nimbus unicycles, but they no longer are. They have been replaced by VCX cranks, which may be an improvement, but I don't know, as I haven't tried them or even read any reviews of them. My Nimbus Venture 2 cranks eventually became floppy, but only after one or two years of moderate to heavy use. I have never even heard of Yoyosam, but unless they are total fraudsters, that unicycle should be excellent.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 06:58 AM   #4
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I have only heard good things about VCX cranks. They have three holes to allow the effective crank length to be adjusted by moving the pedal.
Old 2018-07-12, 09:09 AM   #5
DrD
Unicyclist

I can't vouch for yoyosam.com but the website looks as if it is probably okay. They seem to sell some older model unicycles which would be consistent with the unicycle you are interested in having Venture 2 rather than VCX cranks.

I got an excellent deal from UDC UK on a 32" Oracle in their Black Friday sale. It came with Venture 2 cranks rather than the VCX that are in the description, they are perfectly good cranks but they've moved on to the new ones, hence, I guess, the good deal I got.

At about 1:40 into this video Roger Davies says some stuff about the VCX cranks and why they have moved on to them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEzvDxasLs

I also have Venture 2 cranks on my 24" Nimbus, they have had a fair battering with being dropped etc. when I was learning to ride and they are still as solid as ever. I'd have no issue with buying something with those cranks.

That said, I replaced the Venture 2 on the 32er with VCX+ cranks solely to get adjustable pedal positions. They are the triple hole ones mentioned above, I think the standard VCX are single hole.

So all in it looks like a good deal, you just need to decide if you trust the website.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 12:54 AM   #6
RichardWalker
Unicyclist

As it happens, I'm also into yoyos... and I can vouch for yoyosam as a legit retailer. I haven't ordered from them directly, but I've gotten quality stuff from their Amazon store. Chances are they're perfectly safe to order from.

Also, in case else wants to see something offbeat and mind blowing (and if you're reading this forum then you probably do), I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV0x-dYoCNI&t=14s
Old 2018-07-15, 02:02 PM   #7
JakeXman
Unicyclist

Thank you all so much!!
J.

Last edited by JakeXman; 2018-07-15 at 02:07 PM.

Tags
yoyosamcom