Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-05-26, 01:54 AM   #106
muni tasmania
| www.municycle.com.au |

Sorry to hear your Great War story ...!
I admit I do find one problem with my pedal/ shoe comibnation. At times I feel I want to adjust my foot position on the pedal I need to completely remove my foot to do so. Very annoying and sketchy it's a hard thing to get used to doing. Maybe this is my problem now instead of grazed shins and needing to kit up with pads. I scuff my gloves, shoulders and helmet far more than I risk any potential lower leg injury. I like to cover all my skin so I have that extra layer of theoretical skin from grazes mainly dirt bushes tree rock or gravel delivers.
I would wear a full face helmet if I feel I need shin guards.
Taking teeth out or dislocated jaw would be more concern than sore or dirty deep cuts on legs for me.
Should we list protection priorities? Shins are low for me. However leaving my pedals unintentional is usually only due to balance
muni tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 02:42 AM   #107
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I like how a thread on Best Pedals for Muni has morphed into us talking about all the mean things our pedals can do to us...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldlux View Post
When I'm wearing them, nothing happens. When I don't, I get bitten just by standing behind my uni and having the pedal roll back into me. Seriously; that has happened.
Yup. I learned this basic concept during my first year of riding. After enough instances of such, I decided to wear my chosen safety gear for certain activities whenever I did them, rather than getting dinged only when I didn't have them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
Ha ha. When I'm walking with the unicycle my shin sometimes hits the pedal. I wear shin guards so it doesn't hurt.
Can't say that's why I wear pads, but they often come in handy for that reason. I can live with that type of annoyance, but I cover my knees, usually with leg armor, for the big crashes. If I ever come down just wrong with my knee on a pointy rock, for instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muni tasmania View Post
Can we look at the 'why' we are getting these areas injured. Are these due to user error?, pedals not great?, footwear not ideal?, lack of sleep?, feeling hungry !?!
I think the main why for me is the less than 1% of falls that don't go well. I'm riding one wheel on rough terrain (mostly when the leg armor is on is for Muni). Combine that with nobody's perfect and that's my explanation. I have ridden with dozens of different shoe/pedal combinations, but the one that left me with scars on both knees was with the setup I'm still using, because it's the best one for me. There can be additional factors leading to why we fall down, but it can happen even under perfect conditions.

A few years ago I was out training for an offroad race. It was to be my second year of the Knickerbocker 8-hour race, a bike event. It had a unicycle division; 2 laps rather than 8 hours, but still the hardest unicycle race I had ever done. So I was on my Coker, about 1.5 miles into a 10-mile loop when I fell off, while going really slow in fact, up a steep hill. I just landed poorly and ground both knees into the dirt due to my leg armor being old. It didn't stay up all the way so the scrapes were right along the top edge. Minor bloody abrasions on both sides. So I sucked it up, like I would have done in the race, and finished the ride. 8.5 miles later, my pads had worn a hole in my one knee, to the point where it wasn't nearly healed on race day the following weekend. I wrapped a bandage and a bunch of tape around it, but my leg armor kept grinding at it during the race. After one lap of additional friction on the damaged area I called it quits. The result took a long time to heal. Probably not helped by having been a dirty wound. I got a new pair of KH leg armor, and wear them on almost all Muni rides so I don't repeat the same problem.

BTW, my general recommendation for Muni pedals are anything durable with metal pins. Make it plastic if you're not an experienced rider. I like 5.10 shoes for grip (and BTW haven't had any issues after washing mine; cold water). There's no such thing as too much grip, not counting being clipped in. Learn to adjust your feet on the pedals while riding. My favorites are the Wellgo MG-1s (magnesium), which I think I mentioned earlier in this thread. Still riding on the same pair, since 2007.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2014-05-26 at 02:46 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 08:15 AM   #108
muni tasmania
| www.municycle.com.au |

Great insight! Thanks John

I should perhaps minimize potential risk of knee injuries as for how crucial they are for day to day things, walking riding ect
muni tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 06:01 AM   #109
Wennn
Unicyclist

My stock Nimbus plastic pedals recently broke, so I replaced them with these pedals I was planning to save for my new muni. A huge platform (100×110mm), lightweight (299.5g for the pair) and cheap to boot (17USD from aliexpress).

So far, they seem pretty grippy, the bushings come a little tight but break in fast. I've only had a couple of rides on them so no comments on durability.

Now, the question is, to get another pair for my muni or to get the VP harrier Altitudes?
Attached Images

Wennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-26, 06:02 AM   #110
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Wow, those are really pretty! Probably not great at surviving being dropped on rocks, but could be great for less abusive riding. And for $17, you can't go wrong!

But you forgot to name them, or provide a link. Aliexpress has literally thousands of pedals (I looked). Link, please.

Old 2017-08-28, 09:10 AM   #111
Wennn
Unicyclist

Here it is!

2Pcs LIXADA Bicycle Pedals MTB Folding Bicycle CNC Aluminum Alloy Sealed Bearing Platform Pedals 9/16" Cycling Pedal
http://s.aliexpress.com/INrUrERn

After a few rides, the bushings (im guessing they use those, due to the pedals being really tight but loosening up after a few rides) seem.to have developed a bit of play, thats really only noticeable wiggling the pedals, and not at all while riding. A few scuffs on the outside, but the pedal body seems to be holding up reasonably well.
Wennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-28, 02:56 PM   #112
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Oooh, they come in red! Yum. I had to search around to find a seller with the red ones, so it ended up being $23.

They might not be great for Muni, but that remains to be seen...

Old 2017-08-28, 07:31 PM   #113
HKiviniemi
Unicyclist

Just remember to regularly add grease to these pedals with bushings (bushing next to crank and ball bearing on the outer side)! If they start to spin freely and make worrying noises when you spin them with your hand, it is time to fill them with grease (I usually dip the axle in grease and wipe excess off after assembling the pedal). Otherwise they will get broken fairly quick.

I have really liked these ones myself: (6 pairs ordered, one broken due to not adding grease, 4 in use atm)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...311.0.0.spoCi2

Might order a pair of those metal ones though. A bigger platform could be useful.
HKiviniemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-31, 01:47 AM   #114
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKiviniemi View Post
I have really liked these ones myself: (6 pairs ordered, one broken due to not adding grease, 4 in use atm)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...311.0.0.spoCi2
Worth having them just for the name: "ScudGood"

My experience has been that polycarbonate pedals (the PC in "Twisted PC") can handle far more abuse than nylon ones, although I admit that I broke the nylon pedals in my early unicycling days when they hit pavement very hard and very often. Have you noticed much damage done to the bodies of those pedals?
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 12:39 AM   #115
mnunirider
Unicyclist

I love my scudgood pedals. Have tons of pins for plenty of grip, fairly low profile and sealed bearings. I like that they have a full shoulder that torques against crank arm, keeps it from digging in and gouging it up. We're on eBay for $13 but shipped from China so it took almost a month to get them. Only wish the blue was closer to matching my KH frame.
Attached Images

mnunirider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, pedals