Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-20, 10:36 PM   #1
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Moto Pedals

I have been eyeing a pair of Moto pedals for quite a while. 155 Euro though is just a little too much for me to buy before I try. Today, I found the Moto Reflex which looks about the same but insteead of wood they are made of a glass/plastic compound or some such craziness. At 55 Euro they are more in the lets see what these things can do area.

http://www.motobicycles.com/artikell....html#jump2top

I am looking for pedals solely for commuting/touring and I hate not being able to readjust my foot easily on the pedal so these might be the thing I have been looking for. They seem fairly light as well.
Does anyone have any experience with them? What are your thoughts of griptape instead of pins on a uni pedal?
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 10:59 PM   #2
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

I tried them at a convention for a bit, they are actually nice, they feel a bit different compared to regular pedals (mainly when adjusting your feet), but not worth the extra money compared to a more normal set for me. That being said, I never had any difficulty adjusting my feet on the pedal (So far I have mostly used both plastic and metal platform pedals) so I might not be the right person to ask.
Old 2017-03-21, 12:20 AM   #3
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Not to be annoying, but I would recommend you get the best end result by learning how to adjust your feet on pedals with more grip, even if you don't need them to be super-grippy. It's a lot easier than some basic skills, like learning to ride, idle, freemount, etc. If you can one-foot idle on either side, that's about all you need in terms of skill base. The foot gets moved around on the front part of the pedal stroke when you aren't pressing down on it. You don't have to lift your foot from the pedal, just tilt it a bit and then rotate. Repeat that a couple of times until your foot is where you like it.

Sometimes it will take me a bunch of wheel turns to get my feet the way I like, but I prefer that to not having them locked in for the big bumps. This is especially important for rough trails with potential of ankle injury in dismounts, or any kind of high speed riding, like on a Schlumpf 36.

Not to say that those pedals aren't pretty. They sure look boutique-y nice! And for more casual riding, a grip tape flat pedal might be all you need. They were popular with some riders back in the mid-80s - 90s, but I can't remember if it was products you could buy, or if rider had to customize their own pedals. I think they were customizing, with aluminum plates and skateboard grip tape over that.

Why 155 Euros? I didn't read anything in the description to explain what's so special about the build, other than handmade in Germany, probably in small numbers, and if they are "building" the wood that will add more to the cost. I would be afraid of dropping them and getting them all scratched up!

But anyway, I don't think it's a big hurdle to develop the skills for easy adjustment of your feet on the pedals. I have big pins on all of my pedals, and ride with 5-10 shoes that have super-grippy soles. The best of both worlds!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-03-21 at 12:24 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-21, 06:12 AM   #4
Vee
The Unsung Uni-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Not to be annoying,
Not annoying at all. I am just getting back into unicycling after a 4 year absence so any advice is good advice.
Idling is the one thing I could never get the hang of so perhaps this is my motivation to learn.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-21, 09:23 AM   #5
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
Idling is the one thing I could never get the hang of so perhaps this is my motivation to learn.
You might be missing the point of John's comment - he referred to one footed idling, something I can only do on one side and have only learned recently (I only recently learned to idle on the other side). Yet I can adjust feet on both pedals - admittedly the one I take off when one footed idling is a lot easier, but I've always adjusted the other one by rocking it as he suggests, no requirement to learn idling to do that.
Old 2017-03-22, 11:42 AM   #6
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Why 155 Euros? I didn't read anything in the description to explain what's so special about the build, other than handmade in Germany, probably in small numbers, and if they are "building" the wood that will add more to the cost.
It is what the market will bear. Many cyclists are complete suckers and wear exclusive pricing as a badge of honour. Take a look at the insane pricing at online bike shops. Wheel sets run into thousands of dollars.

Here you go, just $6,899 for two wheels.

Featured the description, "This black beauty incorporates sleek black logos"

Or a bike that costs more than a small car. All yours for just $15,799.95 (Don't forget the 95 cents.)

Just noticed the model name "Dogma"

Though I think this says more about it in the description:
"vertically compliant yet stiff at the same moment"

I recall one cyclist desperate to tell me how his cluster alone cost $2000.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2017-03-22 at 11:53 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 02:26 PM   #7
hadoanngoc

afety and urban style come together in the MOTO Reflex Pedal.
hadoanngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 01:33 AM   #8
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Buying them to specifically to fix the problem of not being able to move your feet on your pedals is what I call a bandaid fix.

It can help in the short term but it's putting a bandaid on the inability to do another skill, in this case one that you will get with only a little bit of practice.

We have it in hockey unicycling a lot in Australia, people going to 24 inch unicycles (instead of 20s) or 89mm cranks (instead of 100 or 114s) specifically because they aren't as fast as others on 20 inch unicycles riding 100mm cranks.

They could learn to spin their legs faster and control their unicycle to go as fast as someone on the same gear, or they can do a bandaid fix and change their wheel or crank size to get a gear ratio advantage. Unfortunately this sort of bandaid fix has negatives in other aspects of your riding, like agile turning and fast start/stopping.

I feel this bandaid fix will have negatives in other aspects of your riding, as John said, having your foot fly off when hitting a larger bump than normal.

Work on your skills instead and you will be a better rider for it
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moto, pedals