Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-16, 07:12 PM   #1
JimT
Unicyclist

Tool for Adjusting Pedal Bearings

Like all bearings, pedal bearings require servicing from time to time. I have some 20 year old Wellgo pedals that were starting to get stiff and needed cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. I could not find a tool to install and adjust the bearings so I made one.

A pedal bearing adjusting tool made out of a 5/8" bolt. For my Wellgo pedals they required a 11mm size on the bearing adjusting nut and 9mm on the lock nut. This is a quick simple to make tool. I used a metal lathe but with some care it could be made with a drill press.

Full details and photos, look here: https://pbase.com/jimthode/pedal_tool
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-16, 08:20 PM   #2
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

Adjust/Locking tool

[QUOTE=JimT;1706055]
A pedal bearing adjusting tool made out of a 5/8" bolt. For my Wellgo pedals they required a 11mm size on the bearing adjusting nut and 9mm on the lock nut. This is a quick simple to make tool. I used a metal lathe but with some care it could be made with a drill press.

Jim, Thank you! Mine are as old and with your permission I'll make one too!
I love it, Mark.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-16, 10:13 PM   #3
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobbybopster View Post
Jim, Thank you! Mine are as old and with your permission I'll make one too! I love it, Mark.
Mark, Ideas are free, anyone is welcome to make one.

Be aware that some pedals have different sized nuts. Also some have a keyed flat washer between the adjusting nut and lock nut and they can be installed/adjusted without any special tools. My pedals had no keyed washer and no provision for one so they required the special tool.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 12:39 PM   #4
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

No keyed washer.

Thanks again Jim, I have those same pedals.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 01:55 PM   #5
jtrops
Unicyclist

That is a really cool tool. I can't say that I've ever worked on a pedal that didn't have a toothed washer. Still, this tool would make bearing adjustment much easier since you could monitor end play in real time as you lock the nut to the cone.

Tags
adjusting, bearings, pedal, tool