Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-24, 05:17 PM   #1
michaelm
Unicyclist

Middle age guy checking in

Hi. I recently had to give up playing ice hockey because of constant minor injuries. This kind of broke my soul but I'm almost ever it. I also had a whole year to learn to do a back-flip due to an poorly thought-out drunken bet. A friend baited me into. That cost me a $400 bottle of whiskey. Anyway, I'm still young at heart and need more fun things so here I am. I'm on day-3 (maybe 1 hour total) and can make it 20-30 feet thanks to youtube tutorials. There is observable progression so I can see the end goal for motivation.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-24, 06:23 PM   #2
davidp
Unicyclist

Congrats on getting this far! It sounds like you are nearing the breakthrough point and will soon be riding much longer distances and learning to turn.

When you are ready to learn to freemount check this thread: http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119235
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-24, 09:09 PM   #3
Gockie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Hi. I recently had to give up playing ice hockey because of constant minor injuries. This kind of broke my soul but I'm almost ever it. I also had a whole year to learn to do a back-flip due to an poorly thought-out drunken bet. A friend baited me into. That cost me a $400 bottle of whiskey. Anyway, I'm still young at heart and need more fun things so here I am. I'm on day-3 (maybe 1 hour total) and can make it 20-30 feet thanks to youtube tutorials. There is observable progression so I can see the end goal for motivation.
That's quick progress!
I will also suggest joining the "Unicycle chat" group on Facebook and the "Strictly 40+ unicyclists" group on Facebook (if you are over 40!)

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-04-24 at 09:13 PM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-25, 11:29 PM   #4
michaelm
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
That's quick progress!
I will also suggest joining the "Unicycle chat" group on Facebook and the "Strictly 40+ unicyclists" group on Facebook (if you are over 40!)
52. I'll check out those groups. Thanks.
Old 2019-05-01, 10:55 PM   #5
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
I will suggest deleting your Facebook account.
Old 2019-05-02, 02:38 AM   #6
song
Unicyclist

+1

Disclaimer: My support for Maestro8's suggestion is not based on experience, as I have never had a Facebook account. I just think FB and its government are creepy.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-04, 12:52 AM   #7
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Welcome, MichaelM! You are learning fast for a middle-aged guy. I'm sure your years of hockey have a lot to do with that.

I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents about Facebook. I use it sparingly. I don't give out "likes" randomly; because I know they are closely tracked and parsed. I see all the unicyclists out there, and they have discussions but there is no good organization to all the information being shared.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-04, 01:35 AM   #8
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
but there is no good organization to all the information being shared.
Not for the end user.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-04, 12:05 PM   #9
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents about Facebook. I use it sparingly. I don't give out "likes" randomly; because I know they are closely tracked and parsed.
The more sparingly you interact the more powerful the interpretation of what you actually do interact with becomes.

The more you interact the less important any single interaction becomes.

I don't care about privacy on the internet. I assume absolutely everything I do is traceable and attributable. If you take care to guard your privacy you will ultimately be disappointed.
Old 2019-05-05, 02:48 PM   #10
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Here's an interesting article describing how we got to this point: The Internet's Original Sin
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-07, 02:15 AM   #11
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
The more sparingly you interact the more powerful the interpretation of what you actually do interact with becomes.
Yeah, but there's less overall data; less for them to do anything with. They're still going to show me ads for the LED can lights I was searching a month ago, but I work to train my mind to treat all ads as null areas that want to distract me from the topic I'm there for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind
I assume absolutely everything I do is traceable and attributable. If you take care to guard your privacy you will ultimately be disappointed.
Absolutely. Why do you think the Solitaire game that comes with your (Samsung/Verizon) cellphone is over 100MB? It doesn't need all that to push cards around. Whatever else it's doing is probably related to tracking every swipe and tap you ever do. The upside is that more of these apps are now uninstallable, at least on the Samsung Verizon phones. And what you can't remove, you can usually disable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Here's an interesting article describing how we got to this point: The Internet's Original Sin
That's a good article. The sad thing about it is that it's about to be five years old! But it's all still true.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-09, 06:19 PM   #12
michaelm
Unicyclist

Update:

I can ride now. Of course an extremely wobbley version of riding but I can stay up most of the time. I started about the same time I created this thread so around 2 weeks.

I think a couple things really helped. 1) A youtube video where they said to being moving forward and not try to idle or go too slow. 2) I never tried to go along a fence or railing. I would just learn forward a little, let go and shoot out into the open.

I've started the process of learning to free mount. This seems like it actually might be harder than riding. hahaha. I've go both feet on a few times but that's it.
Old 2019-05-09, 06:26 PM   #13
michaelm
Unicyclist

Oh and I have pretty nasty dyslexia which commonly causes me to replace correctly spelled words with different correctly spelled words. Trust me, I'm trying. I'd edit my post to correct but it does seem that I can, or maybe just can't yet.
Old 2019-05-09, 06:29 PM   #14
michaelm
Unicyclist

^^^ See this post has mistakes that changes the context and I can't correct. Sorry but this is pretty annoying.
Old 2019-05-09, 06:41 PM   #15
WilkBoy
Unicyclist-in-Training

My first unicycle is supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow (and I'm also a newly middle-aged guy lol). Hopefully in two weeks I can do about the same as you! I like the idea of just trying to go, instead of hanging on to the wall.
WilkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, checking, guy, middle