Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-04-20, 12:39 PM   #16
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I've finally built the 32" uni and I've collected my short experience on my blog:
http://vooni.kkdt.org/post/159786852289/32-inch-wheel
Old 2017-04-20, 03:04 PM   #17
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

wow 35km/h on the G32, that is fast.
I'm on my 5th ride on the G36 but am still working on having big enough balls to let me lean forward enough to go at 30km/h and beyond.

On my very first test ride I hit 30.7 km/h but I'm so scared to have a upd at theses speeds that I think I restrain myself.
To go faster I have to put my balance point a bit further forward, so that I "feel" myself falling forward, then it becomes easy enough to pedal faster and to hit t he 30km/h barrier.

I often hit about 29km/h, but there's always something that prevents me from going faster, like front wind, false flat, or just the fear, but I progressively learn to trust this geared giant unicycle, I find that it behaves in a more natural and predictable way in high gear that when my geared hub was on smaller wheels (G26, G26+, Then G29+).
Like you I only have one schlumpf hub.

Of course I have 150s cranks on the G36, what crank size do you have on your G32?
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 08:14 PM   #18
vookash

There is something about this 30km/h that blocks. I can quite often hit the speed around 30 for a moment, but going more is possible just in very good conditions.
And regarding cranks, while 32 was ungeared I used first 140 and then switched to 127 and now geared I'm on 150 and already after a few rides thinking about getting something bit shorter.
Old 2017-04-20, 08:30 PM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Speaking from almost zero 32" riding experience (I rode LanceB's hot-rod 32" around a bit--very nice!), my impression is that though it's smaller than 36", it's closer in "girth" to a more normal bike wheel. In other words,
lighter! It probably handles very differently because it's not so overbuilt.
At least that's what I hope it would be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
I often hit about 29km/h, but there's always something that prevents me from going faster
I think it's your brain. Going beyond your ability to run out of a dismount, and then passing the next "milestone" in velocity, i.e. 30 km/h or 20 mph, it's a challenge. At least that's my excuse.

When I was in my 20s I didn't think twice about cranking my old 45" Big Wheel up to 22-23 mph for short distances. Now I guess I'm older.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 10:01 AM   #20
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vookash View Post
There is something about this 30km/h that blocks. I can quite often hit the speed around 30 for a moment, but going more is possible just in very good conditions.
And regarding cranks, while 32 was ungeared I used first 140 and then switched to 127 and now geared I'm on 150 and already after a few rides thinking about getting something bit shorter.
Martin Charrier uses to take his G32 when the marathon track is not flat.
Since he does that under 1h30 that makes an average speed in the 28-30 km/h.
I don't know how him and all the unlimited to marathon riders do manage to keep this kind of speed during 42 km, it would kill me way before the arrival

For the G32 I guess 137s sounds good, I had 137s on my G29, but I don't know how much heavier is the 32" wheel.
if I'm not wrong Scott Wilton has got some 137's on his G36, and clipless pedals, he won the UNICON 17 marathon race, but the shorter the cranks are the harder to accelerate it is, so unless you have his bionic legs, maybe 137 are a bit hard on a G36, but as fine on a G32 as 150s on a G36 I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Speaking from almost zero 32" riding experience (I rode LanceB's hot-rod 32" around a bit--very nice!), my impression is that though it's smaller than 36", it's closer in "girth" to a more normal bike wheel. In other words,
lighter! It probably handles very differently because it's not so overbuilt.
At least that's what I hope it would be...I think it's your brain. Going beyond your ability to run out of a dismount, and then passing the next "milestone" in velocity, i.e. 30 km/h or 20 mph, it's a challenge. At least that's my excuse.

When I was in my 20s I didn't think twice about cranking my old 45" Big Wheel up to 22-23 mph for short distances. Now I guess I'm older.
Fear is clearly the limiting factor, I guess my handlebar setting was a bit too low making the "exaggerated perpetual forward fall position" (needed to make the higher pedaling cadence possible) a bit too scary.

after 37km I set the nose of my bar-ends loop 1 inch higher to test it but had a flat at this exact moment...

Also I notice a difference between my G36 and my ungeared 36er.
at equal cranks length I find my G36 a bit harder to accelerate, to ride fast and to climb (I mean in 1:1) compared to my ungeared.
Do you feel the same John?
I noticed the same phenomenon on my previous gunis but was expecting this phenomenon to decrease with the big wheel thanks to the extra momentum.

Don't know if it comes from the hub (for exemple external bearings of the geared hub don't spin as easily as a bearings of a fixed hub, not to mention all the other bearings involved inside the schlumpf), or if it comes from the extra weight, or maybe both.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2017-04-21, 10:46 AM   #21
vookash

Quote:
For the G32 I guess 137s sounds good, I had 137s on my G29, but I don't know how much heavier is the 32" wheel.
if I'm not wrong Scott Wilton has got some 137's on his G36, and clipless pedals, he won the UNICON 17 marathon race, but the shorter the cranks are the harder to accelerate it is, so unless you have his bionic legs, maybe 137 are a bit hard on a G36, but as fine on a G32 as 150s on a G36 I guess.
I know both Martin and Scott and I was riding with them and I know that I'm not able to follow them
I also know the difference between the crank lenghs. I tried riding 110 on my G27.5 at 10k at last Unicon and it was really hard to accelerate (but it was also my 2nd ride in this setup) and I switched back to 137 for marathon and it was much easier.
I will get back with some results as I have 125 and 140 options to test
Old 2017-04-21, 02:41 PM   #22
LanceB
This space available

I have 3-hole cranks on my G32 -- 110, 130, and 150. The 150s give me good control in high gear. The 130s are much better for 1:1 riding, but I have difficulty riding high gear with that length. The 110 setting is good for flat road, but I've never once shifted up with the 110s! ("A man's gotta know his limitations." )
Just my 2 cents' worth. Cheers!
Old 2017-04-21, 03:55 PM   #23
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Unicycles are still too simple, obviously, the geared hub needs to be augmented by adjustable-while-riding crank lengths!
Old 2017-04-23, 08:14 AM   #24
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

I've loved every Oracle I've had. Plus the customer service at UDC will take care of you if there any issues.
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-26, 03:44 AM   #25
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Fear is clearly the limiting factor, I guess my handlebar setting was a bit too low making the "exaggerated perpetual forward fall position" (needed to make the higher pedaling cadence possible) a bit too scary.
I ride my G36 in a similar position. That's not the part that bothers me, because I can always sit up and hold the seat handle. I think I'm more comfortable going fast when down on the bars, but probably not for trying for max speeds.

Back in the day, when I used to try for the Mile, then 1600m, then 1500m records (24" Track racing), my riding position was bolt upright, to allow maximum room for the lungs to work. At those speeds, wind resistance was less of a factor than getting enough air, I thought. I once managed 4:29 for the Mile/1600m (in practice) and briefly had the 1500m record at Unicon V. I think that was 4:12 or something. Then I threw up.

Quote:
Also I notice a difference between my G36 and my ungeared 36er.
at equal cranks length I find my G36 a bit harder to accelerate, to ride fast and to climb (I mean in 1:1) compared to my ungeared.
Do you feel the same John?
I will say probably, because I loaned out my old Coker to a friend more than a year and a half ago and now I can't remember what it feels like. Yes, it's time for you to get your own, Andy! Anyway, I used to ride a lot of 36" Muni back in the Ride The Lobster training days. Riding the same trails on the G36 later on, it always seemed more sluggish. Probably the main factor for this is the extra weight in the hub. Otherwise, it's hard for me to compare because the two unis are pretty different. Coker with narrow hub (and often shorter cranks but not for Muni), Airfoil rim and the old TR tire vs. KH frame, Nimbus rim with the holes, heavier Moment cranks (at that time), etc.

I miss my old, ungeared Coker. Now I'm feeling like taking it out on a trail, when I get it back...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-26, 09:26 AM   #26
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Thanks for the answers John.
I Think you are right, the heavy schlumpf hub is probably what makes the g36 a bit harder to ride.
It's between 1000 and 1500 gm heavier than a normal hub, so it makes an heavier 36er and it's also some rotational weight even if it's very close to the rotation axis.

Before the flat I was using a schwalbe 29" tube (about 220gm), I have ordered a 140gm 29er tube, maybe this 80gm difference at about 18" away from the axis will be slightly noticeable.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2019-07-14, 04:08 PM   #27
piratemike

Wink nimbus 32

I have a nimbus 32 bought 2 years ago. I also own a K.H. 36 and a QX 29 currently. Over the years I have owned pretty much every size.
Now 57 years old I mostly street ride commuting on my 36 wherever I go.
Comparing the 32 with the 36 I would say that cruising speed is the same. Full speed the 36 takes it but raises the risk a bit. Too old to climb long steep slopes on the 36, I shamelessly walk (and rest).
The 32 is easier to mount, quicker to stop, and allows me to power up some slightly steeper hills. One reason I prefer the 36 is because I like to be high when I ride. With a light weight nightrider tire and tube it feels lighter than the 32 and I like the blue paint on the K.H.
Anyway to each his own...My 32 now sits collecting dust most of the time but is still good as new. I would keep it just to have one but space in my little apartment says I should sell it!

Anyone interested????
piratemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 04:44 PM   #28
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemike View Post
Anyone interested????
Where are you based?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 04:50 PM   #29
battleshiplinoleum
Unicyclist

Quote:
I have a nimbus 32 [...] Anyone interested????
Try posting in the trading forum. People might find it useful to roughly know where you are located. Europe? Africa? North Am.? Antarctica?

Quote:
I like to be high when I ride.
Great. Enjoy! Riding stoned hasn't been talked about here for over a decade.
battleshiplinoleum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nimbus, oracle