Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-02, 03:32 PM   #16
Setonix
Unicyclist

It is only when I wanted to participate in the Dutch Championships that it was important to ride 20km for training. The downside is that at some point I might feel it to be a drag and don't want to ride that long. Now that that is behind me and I see unicycling as a way of exploring the area, it can easily happen that I ride 20km without noticing, just because Im doing it for fun. I even once did 10km on a trials uni, because... well it felt good and was easy, even though I might have busted my knees with that stunt
So I reckon you shouldn't set too high targets that will make you lose interest in riding.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 01:40 AM   #17
CJMuni
Unicyclist

Yeah i agree with anton005, training for long rides is a lot of work but if you practice once or twice a week, and you slowly increase the distance you rides, you can certainly increase the time you can spend in the saddle.

I did this while preparing for a world record and got to where i could ride 40km(on an impact gravity seat) on my 20in unicycle, with out a super high cadence. So just keep on working at it and you'll get there.
CJMuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 06:29 AM   #18
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMuni View Post
I did this while preparing for a world record and got to where i could ride 40km(on an impact gravity seat) on my 20in unicycle, with out a super high cadence. So just keep on working at it and you'll get there.
40km on a 20" uni??? I thought my 10km was far already and it made my knees hurt like mad.
Old 2019-07-11, 07:30 AM   #19
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
40km on a 20" uni??? I thought my 10km was far already and it made my knees hurt like mad.
I did a 10 km ride on my 20 just after I had really learnt to ride. I came home and started looking for a 24 which came up a few days later.

The 20 seems like such hard work to go far now. I have one with 100 mm cranks that I ride down gentle hills as fast as I can to build cadence.
Old 2019-07-11, 08:35 AM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I did a 10 km ride on my 20 just after I had really learnt to ride. I came home and started looking for a 24 which came up a few days later.

The 20 seems like such hard work to go far now. I have one with 100 mm cranks that I ride down gentle hills as fast as I can to build cadence.
I noticed when trying to ride as fast as I can I start swaying forwards and backwards and also the uni starts bouncing. However when going downhill, I always picture myself flying, leaving the uni behind, so I take it very slowly.

Don't the pedals spin out of control when you ride fast downhill? - I know you said "gentle" :P
Old 2019-07-11, 01:10 PM   #21
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Don't the pedals spin out of control when you ride fast downhill? - I know you said "gentle" :P
The ideal downhill is just enough to balance the wind resistance so it is a roll that you don't have to hold back. Without having to apply force you can concentrate solely on maximum cadence and style, especially with short cranks.

I actively studied keeping my feet moving in circles in my early riding endeavours. I attribute some of the success to a short stint of riding in shoes with slippery soles. Tonight there were a couple of times when I knew my foot had followed the 114 crank arc I had become so familiar with on the 26 and was moving just above the bottom pedal.
Old 2019-07-12, 12:38 AM   #22
CJMuni
Unicyclist

When I rode around 40km I wasn't going for distance so a bigger wheel wouldn't have helped me. I just had to be able to ride for many hours in order to reach my goal, and it payed off.
CJMuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long, ride, train or prepare