Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-08-17, 05:48 PM   #61
danomite33
Unicyclist

People responding in this thread are (or were) from Israel. Many other people seem to speak on behalf of Palestinians but actually live in other parts of the world. I find it curious that there seems to be no first person responses from Gaza. Are there uni riders in Gaza or West Bank? I would like to hear the opinions of people who actually live in these areas.

Just sayin'
29 inch Nimbus - street

Last edited by danomite33; 2014-08-17 at 05:54 PM.
danomite33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 06:58 AM   #62
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomite33 View Post
Are there uni riders in Gaza or West Bank? I would like to hear the opinions of people who actually live in these areas.
I don't know if they have any electricity after all the bombings they've had to deal with.

My best friend growing up was a Palestinian. But not from Gaza. His parents emigrated to the United States from Jordan before he was born. He drew the logo for The Unicycle Factory.

The Palestinians want their own country. But Gaza just seems like a really crappy location for it to be. But why stop fighting after only 2000 years (or however long)? Israel has "allowed" the Palestinians to exist on that little piece of land, while making it as difficult as possible for them to have any kind of life. So first I have to wonder if Israel would treat them any different if they were to have a government other than Hamas.

They shoot crappy rockets into Israel, presumably as an attempt to "destroy Israel". Israel responds disproportionately. Women and children are killed in Gaza, along with a few Hamas operatives, supposedly, while hardly anyone is killed in Israel. And neither side seems that interested in figuring out a better way.

All I can say is that I'm really glad I don't live there.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-20, 02:45 AM   #63
danomite33
Unicyclist

It is an interesting part of the world for sure. Still, I have yet to hear any first person opinions from Gaza or West Bank. Perhaps a google search would supply more than enough opinions. BUT, since the subject was brought up on this board in a casual and civil manner, I was curious to hear a resident's opinion in the same casual manner (as opposed to the hysterical "Kill you ALL!).

My curiosity is based on a conversation I once had with a Taiwanese citizen. The mantra that comes from the pentagon/capitol hill is "We will defend Taiwan from Chinese aggression at any cost." So, I posed the question to her, "How would you feel if China took control of Taiwan?" Her reply was one of indifference. I was stunned.

The point is: citizens of country ABC are told that citizens of country XYZ feel this way, believe that way, and they really value ______ . Perhaps the average citizen of country XYZ doesn't subscribe to any of the party line answers and beliefs.

just curious
29 inch Nimbus - street

Last edited by danomite33; 2014-08-20 at 02:47 AM.
danomite33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaza, hamas, israel, palestine, unicycle, war