Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-06-02, 05:31 PM   #8146
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmitt View Post
She pretty much looked like the woman in the attached picture.
Clearly you met Iggy Pop!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 03:38 AM   #8147
WilkBoy
Unicyclist-in-Training

I’m only a couple weeks into learning to ride, and finally had my first ‘quote’ from someone as I was walking back to my starting post... “Must have been a rough ride, where’s the other half?”
WilkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 08:10 AM   #8148
ruari
 

I couldn't help but feel that my last posting was kinda depressing for a thread which is generally upbeat. So I went back to twitter and looked again at posts about unicycles. Here are a selection of the positive ones instead.

P.S. Some other things I noticed while look through posts about unicycles
  • The same two jokes are repeated endlessly: “What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a bicycle and a well dressed man on a unicycle?…Attire” and “If you think about it a tricycle is just a unicycle with training wheels”
  • People use ‘unicycle’ as a way of describing any ridiculous situation, e.g. “That is as crazy as [X] riding a unicycle” (where ‘X’ is normally some kind of animal)
  • Not everyone can tell the difference between other types of cycles and a unicycle. I have seen people confuse two-wheeled electric scooters and Penny Farthings with unicycles.
  • Many comments about unicycles are actually about the self-stabilising electric kind.
  • Many of the comments about spotting unicyclists go along the lines of, “Just saw a unicyclist. This could only happened in [X]”. Where ‘X’ is the town, city, university campus, etc. where the poster resides.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-06-03 at 08:15 AM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 10:51 AM   #8149
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
  • The same two jokes are repeated endlessly: “What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a bicycle and a well dressed man on a unicycle?…Attire” and “If you think about it a tricycle is just a unicycle with training wheels”
If you want to see how often these two jokes are made, here are a couple of search links that are almost endlessly scroll-able

What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a bicycle and a well dressed man on a unicycle?…Attire
If you think about it a tricycle is just a unicycle with training wheels

Last edited by ruari; 2019-06-03 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2019-06-03, 06:19 PM   #8150
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Yesterday near River Park in Sacramento, CA

"Right on man! Rolling ninja!"
Old 2019-06-04, 05:11 AM   #8151
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Wow, that collection of mean posts from Twitter was like a fresh breeze of foul pollution in the Unicyclist.com Forums. A reminder of what civilization is like when you actually want to be part of a community, rather than a spineless sniper.
Quote:
This thread is generally very positive so I was in two minds about posting it here and bringing the mood down but I am also curious about your (collective) thoughts.

What is the deal here? Why do they care so much and so negatively about something that does not effect them in the slightest.
Because it's easy to be anonymous, which allows the weaker of us to be A-holes. If your grandma was watching you type that, would you still do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I've been criticized in the past for bringing politics into the unicycle forum. Here we go again...

...Please let me know if you disagree with the following: The above tweets are coming from the political right wing.
I disagree. There are random A-holes on both sides of the aisle. For the sake of sanity I'm going to try to make myself believe it's about 50/50, because deep down I believe otherwise, but I want to give people credit for their humanity. However, today's "right wing" does seem to contain the majority of people who hate based on religion, skin color, nationality, etc. Sad. Let the "left wing" be known as the haters of the haters, because there's plenty of hate going on there currently, as well.

I miss these kinds of conversations in the Just Conversation forum, where they belong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Let people have there opinions. I love unicycling and I will keep doing it until my body gives out.
A winning attitude. ME TOO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmitt View Post
"What the hell!? You must be on crystal riding that thing!".
A great quote. I guess it takes one to know one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilkBoy View Post
“Must have been a rough ride, where’s the other half?”
I would say "Her half broke off hours ago, and she left me!"
Quote:
Here are a selection of the positive ones instead:
<Images of positive Twitter posts about unicyclists>

Some great stuff in there! Guy spotted in Vancouver could be Kris Holm, who does commute sometimes by unicycle! I see him on Strava. It also pictures Japanes school kids riding in the schoolyard. It says "vintage". They only started doing that in the late 70s, so the pictures can't be that old. Unless I'm that old...
Quote:
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a bicycle and a well dressed man on a unicycle?…Attire
FWIW, that joke was featured on the "jokes" page in the AARP magazine (American Association of Retired Persons) a few months back. And I think it's funny. Yup, I'm old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
"Right on man! Rolling ninja!"
Wow, that's a great one Jason! Lately the people 15 miles east of you have been pretty dull. Lots of "Wow"s and "Good job!"s.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-06-04 at 05:14 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-04, 09:21 PM   #8152
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Wow, that collection of mean posts from Twitter was like a fresh breeze of foul pollution in the Unicyclist.com Forums.
Umm... yeah, sorry about that. Ok here is one more good one from twitter that I just saw as a further attempt to make it up to everyone here and restore the good vibe. Since it is a single I will just quote and link it

See. Even on Twitter, people can be nice and positive!
Old 2019-06-05, 01:03 AM   #8153
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Last weekend I was messing around at mill creek park on the shores of beautiful Table Rock Lake in Lampe Missouri near Branson and I cut across country for a short distance through an empty camp site near the swimming beach. A lady looked up, did a double take and she said, “They told me I would see some unusual wildlife in the Ozarks but you take the cake Mister”. I started laughing so hard I had UPD.

elpuebloUNIdo I believe that park is near your place. Let me know next time you are down and we can meet up.
Old 2019-06-05, 03:43 PM   #8154
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy View Post
elpuebloUNIdo I believe that park is near your place. Let me know next time you are down and we can meet up.
Glad to read you're still riding!

We travel to KC on the 10th and will make it down to the lake a couple days later. I'll give you a call when I know more.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-05, 04:22 PM   #8155
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Glad to read you're still riding!

We travel to KC on the 10th and will make it down to the lake a couple days later. I'll give you a call when I know more.

Just got back on last weekend after about a year. Starting slow but I am back! 2018 was rough for me had some health issues. Turned 60 last Thursday, getting old.

Let me know when you are in KC. I could use some SIF pointers from our SIF Guru!

Got a pm from kwikkash and he gets to KC now and then so we may want to add him to our email chain if we get something going.
Old 2019-06-14, 09:36 AM   #8156
ruari
 

Another fun tweet today that has a video where someone captured me unicycling past them on their helmet cam.

https://twitter.com/syklemil/status/1139424650130264064

Original (Norwegian),

Quote:
OK, jeg er vant til å bli forbisyklet i motbakker, særlig av elsyklister, men nååååå begynner jeg å lure på om det rett og slett er en form for hets
(“hets” is tricky for me to translate as it is not a word I regularly encounter or would personally use. To be clear, I read his use of it as sarcasm).

Here is possible translation,

Quote:
OK, I am used to being overtaken uphill, especially by people using electric bikes, but noooow I start to wonder if it is just a form of harassment
The first reply was also kind of fun. It is a word play on "hets". He makes up a new, fake word “hetsekrefter”, which looks almost identical to “hestekrefter” (which means horse power)

Original (Norwegian),

Quote:
Her er det snakk om store hetsekrefter!
A non-literal translation,

Quote:
Now we are talking about big harassment [reads like ‘horse’] power!
P.S. UniMyra can correct my translations if he sees this and they are slightly off. I am not a native speaker and despite living here don't use Norwegian too often.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-06-14 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Corrected quoting
Old 2019-06-14, 01:35 PM   #8157
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

"Can you juggle too?"

Seriously?
People can be sooo cliché.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 02:20 PM   #8158
Gockie
Unicyclist

I'm in Sydney Australia. I got in a train. One older (74) European heritage guy points to my unicycle. Says to me "You're a magician". I say no. He points to it again "You're a Magician". Ok....

Turns out he has been living in Australia since he was 23 but he still seems to have quite an accent. Anyway, he says he speaks about 4 languages and he says he can overhear lots of conversations and know what all the people are talking about.

Now that's a magician talent!
Me, I only speak English but I should be able to speak more languages. My parents (Cantonese background) didn't teach me as a kid. Sigh.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 03:30 PM   #8159
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
This thread is generally very positive so I was in two minds about posting it here and bringing the mood down but I am also curious about your (collective) thoughts. And it is on-topic given these are quotes from non-riders.

*SNIP*
Yeah that's pretty grim, and I see it a fair bit on social media. Sometimes it really is meant light-heartedly (Especially if it's someone who knows me) but it can be seen as a bit mean.

This one actually made me laugh though, it's a pretty good summation of the outside world's perspective on our sport!

Quote:
*Person tries to ride a unicycle and fails

Me: Look at this idiot

*Person expertly rides a unicycle

Me: Look at this idiot
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-17, 04:20 AM   #8160
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
"Can you juggle too?"
I've gotten that quite a lot over the years also. Here are some possible responses:
  • Two what?
  • I can juggle more than two.
  • Anyone can juggle two. Juggling three takes some effort though...
  • What's juggle?
  • Seriously? People can be sooo cliché.
  • (what I usually use): I can juggle five and a half.

The five and a half is essentially true. If I were to practice, I can almost juggle six balls. I could occasionally flash them. So I count that as five and a half.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle