Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-13, 08:02 PM   #16
tacobender5000
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
I've had 4 26"/27.5" unicycles+ luggage for 5 people for a weekend in a Volvo V70 wagon, without folding any seats down, so I'm mildly confused you don't have enough space for one 29".
I tried the other day and I was able to fit it folding the double back seat down. Car seat was still usable, so that's good at least. I'm thinking to just get a bike rack for the bike only since my unicycle wa$n't cheap. Drop of rain scares me from riding it haha. 29" KH + Schlumpf + Wheel Build + mini handle bars = broke

This though...
https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe...trax_2015_trax

So small
tacobender5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 08:30 PM   #17
DrD
Unicyclist

I normally put just my 29er in the back of the car (Citroen DS4 as in the photo above). It only goes on the roof if the car is packed full of "stuff" when we are going away.

Given it is a European car it is reasonably compact but the 29er fits in okay without folding the seats down. It is a bit tight getting it in with the bar-ends hitting the headlining but once it is in there is no problem and it sits at about 45 degrees. There would be a lot more clearance if I took the seatpost out and just laid that down beside the wheel (there is enough slack on the brake hose).

Can you get a quick release seatpost clamp so it is easy to take the seat/handlebar out? I guess you could always take the pedals off too if they are an issue.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 07:02 PM   #18
Setonix
Unicyclist

I have a nissan Note from 2016. With one seat down and my daughter in the other seat i can fit in a 32" with 26" on top as well as an autoped of my daughter. However last week I bought a Volvo XC40 as my wife and I wanted a car with more space. It will first be delivered in September though. At work they joked I could prolly fit in all my 10 unis. In any case I dont expect I would ever take more than 2 unis along anywhere. Also have a bike carrier but dont wanna use it for unicycles
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-16, 05:52 AM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
The stickers are cool but nowhere near as cool as your licence plate.
Thanks! I got those in 1995 and they're showing their age. the one on the front has lost much of its reflective coating! The CA DMV doesn't have a clear path on how to replace custom plates. I pay extra for them every year, but somehow they're supposed to last forever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender5000 View Post
So you're saying I should bring all of my unicycles when I go to purchase a new vehicle and pick the one that makes them feel cozy?
Sure. But bring them in what?

What we have done at least once is bring the one thing that's the hardest to put in. In this case, it would be my wife's older, taller recumbent. But I've been driving Siennas since 2003; the newer one has essentially the same interior dimensions as the old one. Before that, I had Dodge Caravans (and Jacquie didn't have recumbents) so it was then about the 45" Big Wheel. In my case one of the needs was to bring a bunch of various unicycles to go to shows or conventions, so the minivan makes more sense. If you only plan to bring one or two most of the time, you have lots more choices of what to drive.

For fit, once upon a time, two friends and I fit six unicycles and the three of us, with our luggage, into a VW Beetle and drove it from Detroit to Long Island and back. All were inside. We had three 24" "regular" unicycles, a 27" Ultimate Wheel and two 2-wheel unicycles (vertical stack); one with 16" and the other with 20" wheels. Seats and pedals off. The three 24's went behind the back seat, the Ultimate went under the "bonnet" up front, and the two tall ones went along the center of the interior, between the seats. All the luggage went on one side of the back seat. Whee! I got my first VW Bus the following year...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-16, 09:02 PM   #20
Muni Fix
Direct Driven

Name:  20171125_121008_resized.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  176.8 KB

this is how I transport my munis...the Yakima Anklebiters and Frontloaders are an excellent and safe way to transport unicycles.

Last edited by Muni Fix; 2019-06-16 at 09:06 PM.
Muni Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-17, 01:18 PM   #21
tacobender5000
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Sure. But bring them in what?
touché

That was a good one haha
Old 2019-06-17, 01:21 PM   #22
tacobender5000
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muni Fix View Post
this is how I transport my munis...the Yakima Anklebiters and Frontloaders are an excellent and safe way to transport unicycles.
Looks nice. I can picture tieing those seat posts down and it would be pretty solid.
Old 2019-06-17, 03:00 PM   #23
Muni Fix
Direct Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender5000 View Post
Looks nice. I can picture tieing those seat posts down and it would be pretty solid.

If you look closely, you'll see that I'm actually using toe straps to secure the seat handle onto the Anklebiter tray, and the seat tube onto the frontloader ...it is on there pretty solidly...
Muni Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-18, 12:32 PM   #24
JohnIb
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I have a nissan Note from 2016. With one seat down and my daughter in the other seat i can fit in a 32" with 26" on top as well as an autoped of my daughter. However last week I bought a Volvo XC40 as my wife and I wanted a car with more space. It will first be delivered in September though. At work they joked I could prolly fit in all my 10 unis. In any case I dont expect I would ever take more than 2 unis along anywhere. Also have a bike carrier but dont wanna use it for unicycles
I got a lift from a coworker not long ago and with a few bungie cords my 36er was very secure I'd not hesitate to do it again
JohnIb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transportation