Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-11-17, 10:00 PM   #1
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Anyone know anything about his mororized uni?

This^

It looks similar to this.

Last edited by Shmolagin; 2013-11-17 at 10:01 PM.
Shmolagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 12:40 AM   #2
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

There's enough readable text in the top photo to google a few words from it and find out lots more, but it seems to have surfaced at an auction in Daytona during Bike Week 2007. The original listing is still online here:

http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/2007/...nsignments.htm

Note that it's described as "MV Monomoto Unique Motorcycle Art" (find that phrase on the page) and they state that it is not a rideable machine. And there are lots of other things on the page that I'd much rather have.

Consensus seems to be that it's a hoax or spoof or parody or what have you of recent construction incorporating some vintage parts. The Zorro-looking guy with the cape in the picture might have been included there to help tip off potential bidders.

Last edited by LargeEddie; 2013-11-18 at 12:42 AM.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 03:59 AM   #3
newob
Unicyclist

Well what about this? There's also a youtube of it.

http://rynomotors.com/gallery/
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 04:02 AM   #4
newob
Unicyclist

!

Last edited by newob; 2013-11-19 at 04:16 AM.
Old 2013-11-19, 04:33 AM   #5
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

My dad researched it and said that it was something created a while ago as art, the back story was created at that time as well. He also pointed out that if it had actually intended to be ridden the seat would be far enough forward that the head light wouldn't be pointed at the ground when you rode it.
Old 2013-11-19, 09:06 PM   #6
newob
Unicyclist

Name:  RYNO-11 (533x800).jpg
Views: 346
Size:  296.3 KB
Old 2013-11-20, 12:43 AM   #7
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Well what about this? There's also a youtube of it.

http://rynomotors.com/gallery/
I am anxiously hoping that the RYNO will make it to the market. It looks so cool, and it works! I might even buy one if it's not too crazy-expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
He also pointed out that if it had actually intended to be ridden the seat would be far enough forward that the head light wouldn't be pointed at the ground when you rode it.
Sadly, when you look at it with that in mind, it seems all too obvious. The machine is a beauty, but even if it ran, there seems to be no balancing mechanism there; not even brakes? Even with brakes, to ride it like a wheely machine, you would apparently have to lean way forward for it to work.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 01:18 AM   #8
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Sadly, when you look at it with that in mind, it seems all too obvious. The machine is a beauty, but even if it ran, there seems to be no balancing mechanism there; not even brakes? Even with brakes, to ride it like a wheely machine, you would apparently have to lean way forward for it to work.
It's also been pointed out elsewhere that the engine is rigidly mounted to a rigid frame, and yet there are springs and shock absorbers--going from the engine to the frame. Motorcycle collectors who saw it in person at that auction likely would have known right away that it was meant as a work of art, not to be mistaken for an actual historic vehicle.

And I wonder if "motorcycling bon vivant Todd Fell" as mentioned in the text might be one of the two men in the picture, someone many Daytona Bike Week attendees might have recognized.

But it is very pretty.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 01:23 AM   #9
Ed toast
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I am anxiously hoping that the RYNO will make it to the market. It looks so cool, and it works! I might even buy one if it's not too crazy-expensive.

It will be
Ed toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 01:31 AM   #10
Shmolagin
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed toast View Post
It will be
That depends on what he means by crazy expensive.
Old 2013-11-20, 01:42 AM   #11
Ed toast
Unicyclist

Yeah, tbf in my world it doesn't take much to be crazy expensive lol
Ed toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 04:10 AM   #12
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
That depends on what he means by crazy expensive.
Quite. I do own a custom uni built around a Schlumpf hub, but don't have plans of getting a second one (for MUni) in the near future. I'd probably rather have one of those than a RYNO, but in any case, the RYNO should cost less than a full-sized motorcycle that can be ridden on expressways, I guess.

Old 2014-01-25, 02:49 PM   #13
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Wired magazine has a hands-on review of the RYNO here. They like it. Shipping pre-orders in April!

But top speed is only 10 mph, looks like it's more of a Segway-style sidewalk machine than a motorcycle.

Last edited by MrImpossible; 2014-01-25 at 02:49 PM.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 03:32 PM   #14
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

I saw a motorized uni on "Pickers" when they went to England. But the guy didn't won't to sell it, so they didn't talk about it. Did anyone see that episode and know anything about that uni?
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 12:36 AM   #15
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

$5,295.00. Right now they are collecting interest in an initial, small production run. Probably very small at that price. It's a little more than the original Segways, but IMHO a lot cooler looking. I hope the price will come down after they've done some larger production runs. This from their website:

"A limited, short production run, special edition Micro-cycle will be available for the first few lucky people to sign up. Expected delivery will be in the 2nd quarter of 2014 for a total price of $5,295.00. All RYNOs must be picked up at an authorized RYNO dealership where new owners will need to go through a brief training program prior to taking ownership. Initial dealerships will only be in the U.S. with a few locations on the east coast and a few locations on the west coast. All other bikes will ship after our high-volume production run, sometime in late 2014."

Who's going to be first to put up a refundable, $150 deposit for one of those?

Tags
mororized, uni