Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-03, 11:04 AM   #46
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouin-bouin View Post
What is the best compromise crank / rim / tyre for a 27.5" Downhill/Muni

RIM :
KH 47mm ou 55mm : considering that KH 55mm rim is not available in Europe, Mad 4 One has but without eyelet and I don't know their rim quality

Tyre :
Duro Crux 3.25" from KH ?
Havok 3" : I read that it's not good for camber
Other suggestions ?

Cranks :
is KH Spirit 137 enought or 150mm better with a 180 disc brake ?
Have you any info about Mad4one 27.5 suprlight rim? 450g for a Muni rim is possible?!?
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 11:42 AM   #47
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouin-bouin View Post
What is the best compromise crank / rim / tyre for a 27.5" Downhill/Muni

RIM :
KH 47mm ou 55mm : considering that KH 55mm rim is not available in Europe, Mad 4 One has but without eyelet and I don't know their rim quality

Tyre :
Duro Crux 3.25" from KH ?
Havok 3" : I read that it's not good for camber
Other suggestions ?

Cranks :
Looks you are considering a custom wheel. In this case my recommendation is that you should consider going for a 32h Hub. Then you can go into the whole world of Mtb rims. Much more choice and years of experiance in DH and FR. I think most of the offered Muni rims are still overkill in terms of width and specially in weight. For a good wheel you need a of course a good rim, however another major factor is a propper build of the wheel, eg. using butted spokes with propper tension.

For the tire: Personally I can recommend the Nobby Nic (with Apex). In our group we ride this tire in 2,8 and 3,0 (no real differecne when changing munis). Both sizes work really well. Good offroad grip and not sensitive to chamber. I ride the 2,8 version with a 30mm (inner width) Mtb rim.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 12:11 PM   #48
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
Have you any info about Mad4one 27.5 suprlight rim? 450g for a Muni rim is possible?!?
In this case I prefer the KH Freeride 47mm, it's on sale in Europe; but I don't like big holes, you need to use a very strong and heavy tube to avoid tyre flat
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 12:15 PM   #49
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
Looks you are considering a custom wheel. In this case my recommendation is that you should consider going for a 32h Hub. Then you can go into the whole world of Mtb rims. Much more choice and years of experiance in DH and FR. I think most of the offered Muni rims are still overkill in terms of width and specially in weight. For a good wheel you need a of course a good rim, however another major factor is a propper build of the wheel, eg. using butted spokes with propper tension.

For the tire: Personally I can recommend the Nobby Nic (with Apex). In our group we ride this tire in 2,8 and 3,0 (no real differecne when changing munis). Both sizes work really well. Good offroad grip and not sensitive to chamber. I ride the 2,8 version with a 30mm (inner width) Mtb rim.
Yes I will build the wheel, so can choose all components separately

32H is an option, I already had a look and yes this is a possibility but for DH, I'm not sure 32H is enought compared to 36

Rim width brings tyre volume which is interesting for unicycling but generally a large rim is not good for camber
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2019-06-03 at 12:16 PM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-04, 09:29 AM   #50
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Mtb DH and Freeride have proven that 32H is working fine since years under real rough conditions. A lot of new wheels/rims are now down to 28H in the Mtb world.

As for the rim width I fully agree with the width/volumne. However there is also a healthy ratio between tire/rim width. Too wide rim for a given tire makes the tire surface too squarish, which normaly does not work so well on unis. E.g. I would not go with a 55mm rim and "only" 2.6 or 2.8 tires.

At the end it comes down to personal preference a lot.
Old 2019-06-06, 12:57 PM   #51
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
I hate that everyone uses the term "Muni" for everything from riding a gravel road to hard downhill. If you are doing bigger drops regularly, it might not be strong enough. It's also fairly narrow if I remember correctly. If you want a fast setup for going up and down gravel roads, probably a great setup with a 2.3"-2.5" wide tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouin-bouin
Cranks :
Depends on your riding style, and what you want. I personally would never go bigger than 140 mm, since I feel there is very deminishing returns going bigger, and have been very happy with 125mm. I feel a big difference in ease of speed between 150mm and 140mm, but not much in terms of control. 125mm vs 140mm, I definetely feel a big difference in both control and speed, so it's a "horses for courses" thing.

You never run out of braking power with a disk brake, just out of control. So if you are good with the brake, you can make short cranks work. The shorter the crank, the more speed you need to carry for technical sections. So it definetely takes more commitment. It's apparently a similar thing with DH Mountainbikes. A race setup doesn't like a 70% pace. But that also means that your setup can "predetermine" your speed a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunstrasen
Mtb DH and Freeride have proven that 32H is working fine since years under real rough conditions.
For a lot of people, 32H will be fine on a unicycle. I've also met some riders that tried 32H and destroyed their wheels quickly, but those are relatively harsh riders. For my budget, the weight saving is not worth the extra money, especially factorng in a bit of risk trying new things. But everyone elses willingness to spend money may differ.

Instead of spending money on lightweight stuff, the thing I'm saving up for is a hope brake. I think a brake that can be modulated and setup really well (Independend reach and pressure point adjustment is a dream), will do much more for me.

Saddle, pedals, tires, brake are the key items in my eye. Those are the points you touch/touch the ground. Everything else is further down in the priority list, even under backpack, pads, helmet. Example: My Nimbus Oracle frame has a fair bit of flex. I don't love that. But getting a helmet that really fits well has improved my comfort while riding a lot more than a different frame ever would.
Old 2019-06-06, 01:36 PM   #52
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
I hate that everyone uses the term "Muni" for everything from riding a gravel road to hard downhill.
It gets worse. Qu-ax even calls trials unicycles "muni". Not just their own but the KH 19 inch they are reselling.

https://www.qu-ax.de/en/product-cate...v=6cc98ba2045f
Old 2019-06-07, 08:23 AM   #53
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
It gets worse. Qu-ax even calls trials unicycles "muni". Not just their own but the KH 19 inch they are reselling.
I know, they are stubborn about that... For some of their lineup, it makes sense, as they are essentially bes bought as kids Munis.

Don't get me wrong btw, it's not that I don't consider riding gravelroads up a hill not Muni. It is, but for the purposes of setup, people really need to make a difference between Cross Country and Downhill.
Old 2019-06-15, 01:46 PM   #54
gwymer
Unicyclist

Creaking Update

Great discussion on builds and preferences--this partially applies too

Tore apart my Muni--retightened spokes, cleaned, greased, and checked bearings--still creaking. Then took off my crank arms--DRY as a BONE!

Be sure and grease when installing along with the little ridge on the crank bolt, if yours is that style--if not greased--LOTS of creaking.

PROBLEM solved--silent as a mouse again--an assembly issue, not a manufacturer issue.
gwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-18, 06:01 AM   #55
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwymer View Post

Be sure and grease when installing along with the little ridge on the crank bolt, if yours is that style--if not greased--LOTS of creaking.
Sounds a bit strange to me. Actually the axle/crank connection should not have any play/movement at all. In other words a proper connection won´t make any noice, no matter dry or greased.

Greasing this area had been discussed with all pros an cons. It´s actually a question of easier mounting and removal, not elimination of noice by grease.

Anyhow if you uni is not creaking anymore you made something right.
Old 2019-09-07, 01:51 PM   #56
gwymer
Unicyclist

Summary update eval

When I set out, I admit, I was evaluating 2 things simultaneously.
---The upgrade from 26 to 27.5 & KH compared to QX.

Final thoughts after a full year:

As to the KH versus QX---
*I see no quality differences between the QX and the KH
(I had minor adjustments on both)
*I will admit that the adjustments I made on the QX were assembly issues
*There was an obvious price difference

As to the 26 versus 27.5---
*Well worth the extra cost to upgrade
*Strongly recommend the 3" tire

That was an unexpected evaluation during the process:
2.4 versus 3.0 tire
*After switching the 27.5 to the 3" tire, I haven't picked my 26 back up

FINAL WORDS:

I hope my observation help others as they make muni decisions.
The key: Find something that works for you and KEEP RIDING!!

Hope to see you all at STOMP this year!!!
gwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 08:10 AM   #57
Quax1974
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwymer View Post
Strongly recommend the 3" tire
I really like the 3" on my 24" and am thinking of upgrading my Qu-Ax 27.5 to the same tire width.

Looking back in the thread I see that you fitted the Purgatory Grid 27.5 x 3.0" tire.

Is this the "Purgatory GRID 2Bliss Ready"?
And with 3" wide does it still have proper clearance with the frame?

I'm trying to find this in a nearby shop and have issues finding the 27.5 x 3" version...

I do find the 650B x 3", would this be the same tire?
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-12, 10:41 AM   #58
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax1974 View Post

I'm trying to find this in a nearby shop and have issues finding the 27.5 x 3" version...

I do find the 650B x 3", would this be the same tire?
With about 2 minutes on google, or asking the salesman at your shop, you could have figured out that 650B is a 584mm ISO Rim, same as 27.5" which is also a 584mm ISO rim. So yes, it's the same.

Tags
275, muni, versus