Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2016-07-20, 10:42 PM   #16
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejh View Post
I wonder if your pedals might factor into the UPDs you have had. While I have had some interesting situations with dismounting, none have thrown me down fully. Am I right in thinking that the plastic cage free rotates as well as the mech as this might grip your shoe when you do not want it to be gripped?
The plastic cage is fixed, it doesn't rotate around the SPD mechanism at all. My UPD's are purely related to me not being able to unclip quick enough! It tends to go a couple of different ways:

Try going through a cycle path barrier -> not commit hard enough -> body flops backwards, wheel goes forward, brain doesn't think to unclip -> arse hits floor.

Riding up a road, decide to stop, turn off at the nearest sideroad -> lean back to dismount -> foot doesn't disengage first time -> panic -> arse hits floor.

Riding anywhere, decide to stop -> lean back to dismount -> first foot unclips successfully -> wheel turns forward a bit, causing other foot to be raised uncomfortably high off the ground -> i twist, one foot still in the pedal, causing me to unbalance -> hands/face hits floor.

I sort of went for a different method once, of trying to unclip BEFORE I come to a stop, however the sudden movement of yanking my feet out caused even worse UPD's because it'd cause me to be 1-footed for a second or so.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aaaah, click, clipless, riding