Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-27, 07:20 AM   #106
Unigan
Unicyclist
 
Unigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: North Brisbane QLD, Australia
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Back to the which uni next-- how does the KH's 27.5 Duro Crux 3.25 tire feel on pavement? For the next 1.5yrs I'll be primary on smooth bike paths.

Chief
I have a similar tyre but on a Nimbus and mine is 29" Duro Crux 3.25. I commuted to work on it for over 6 months and it handled pavement fine. Course at the time I only had a 20" to compare it to. Now I've been riding a 36"/127 for a while, I jumped on my old Nimbus today to try it out since it's been a while. First thing I noticed is I have tons of control with a smaller wheel and longer cranks but it is so slow by comparison. If you want to go fast you will have to work harder but it's not slow compared to a 20/24" and you can achieve reasonable speeds which will have you out of your comfort zone initially.

Since you're used to a 24" you probably won't notice the wide tyre being hard/slow and on 27.5 " it will be faster then your 24". In saying that you probably don't want to go too fast when you're still learning so it might be a positive. The wide tyre really does shine in rough terrain though, ride it through grass, gravel, mud etc and it doesn't feel much slower then riding on pavement. You can add a handle bar too to get a bit more speed and stability for longer rides.
__________________
DRS 5'20" Giraffe || Nimbus II 24" || Nimbus Muni 29" || Kris Holm 36" Road

Last edited by Unigan; 2020-01-27 at 07:24 AM.
Unigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 10:51 AM   #107
BruceC
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Back to the which uni next-- how does the KH's 27.5 Duro Crux 3.25 tire feel on pavement? For the next 1.5yrs I'll be primary on smooth bike paths.

Chief
I've done near 5000 km on my KH29 with the Duro Crux 3.25", almost all being road and cycle path. I would love to have a lower resistance tyre, but really it's not a deal breaker. I guess my top speed is lower and I'm burning some extra energy going places, but I have a wonderful tyre that feels great on rough ground and the crap roads/footpaths around.

Unicyles === compromises.

I run 25 PSI on smooth road, 20 on rough road/footpath and 18 off road, but each pressure is still fine on other surfaces. I can't do serious muni, but pressure would be lower still for that. That's a lot of surfaces for one tyre.

Some of my Strava personal records are still on that 29, not on the 36, so I wouldn't call it slow.

Handling on road is different from other unicycle tyres, I always have a transition period when switching unicycles where my turns are unstable (maybe it's just me). Wear is also a factor, I got about 3200km before canvas was showing and nobody here keeps that tyre in stock (municycle.com.au got it in no trouble).

The KH29 with the Duro is still my favourite unicycle, I'm sure the 27.5 is just as good.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 03:18 PM   #108
BHChieftain
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 106
Thanks for the feedback-- if folks thought the 3.25 tire was not that great on pavement then I'd probably stick with the 29 or 32 road uni for now. But if the 27.5 is ok on pavement but just slower, then that's no problem (I think I would be more sensitive to riding feel vs. speed).

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 04:35 PM   #109
Quax1974
Wobbly
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
Age: 45
Posts: 151
My Qu-Ax 27.5 Muni came with the Maxxis High Roller II 2.4 tire.
Markings say it takes up to 65 PSI.
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-02, 12:35 AM   #110
BHChieftain
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 106
Hit a major milestone today-- I was able to get to the bikepath for the first time and ride 2 miles! The path has a very slight uphill grade overall, but has some undulating parts and a few relatively steep (for me) inclines. Took me a bit to be able to static freemount in such a narrow area in the beginning but I figured it out. Got a few long stretches in without "the burn" especially on the return leg which was slightly downhill, plus my legs were tired which forces me to sit in the seat more...

I'm guessing I dismounted 20 times over the distance. Fell twice but not too bad.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-02, 11:38 AM   #111
Richard C
cautious n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Age: 58
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Hit a major milestone today-- I was able to get to the bikepath for the first time and ride 2 miles! The path has a very slight uphill grade overall, but has some undulating parts and a few relatively steep (for me) inclines. Took me a bit to be able to static freemount in such a narrow area in the beginning but I figured it out. Got a few long stretches in without "the burn" especially on the return leg which was slightly downhill, plus my legs were tired which forces me to sit in the seat more...

I'm guessing I dismounted 20 times over the distance. Fell twice but not too bad.

Chief
Excellent progress! Your choice of 24 inch unicycle to learn on has been validated, small enough to learn on but big enough to get some distance.
__________________
20" Club (Orange, White Tire)
26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")
Richard C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-02, 12:46 PM   #112
aj1500
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Savannah Ga
Age: 57
Posts: 145
Good Job Chief, sounds like it's coming together for you, it won't be long now and you will be making that 2 miles with no UPDs and just stopping to get ready for the next 2 miles
__________________
24" Torker LX
29" UDC Trainer
32" UDC trainer
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-14, 09:45 PM   #113
BHChieftain
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 106
My upgrade arrived...
=8^)

Chief
Attached Images
 
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-15, 05:28 AM   #114
Unigan
Unicyclist
 
Unigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: North Brisbane QLD, Australia
Posts: 71
Well don't leave us hanging what's in the box?
__________________
DRS 5'20" Giraffe || Nimbus II 24" || Nimbus Muni 29" || Kris Holm 36" Road
Unigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-15, 06:12 AM   #115
BHChieftain
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 106
Well, I decided to try a mountain uni, and settled on the KH 29 instead of the 27.5 , mainly because

1) I will ride 80% paved bike paths and maybe 20% unpaved roads or really easy trails. I just don't see myself doing anything technical on the mountain.

2) I'm 6' tall with long legs.

However, there was a problem with the uni-- I spent about 15 minutes trying to get the seatpost in the frame. Eventually I got it in an inch or 2 at which point it then got stuck. My wife and I stabilized the wheel (me on 1 side, she on the other) and after about 5 minutes of twisting the seat back and forth we worked it back out. I felt inside the frame tube and it had some pretty bad gouges inside.

I sanded the inside of the frame post, cleaned it out, and put in some grease, and I got the post in, but still with a lot of effort.

Then, I had trouble mounting the brake handle to the seat. Seemed like a very simple operation, slide the handle over the little post under the seat and tighten the allen bolt. I got the bolt down pretty tight but the brake still would just slide off the post. So I gave the bolt another little turn, at which point the brake handle cracked at the bolt holes.

I really like the steel frame on my 24 nimbus, and the seat post is smooth and easy to adjust with no grease. And after looking at the monster 3+ inch tire on the KH29 it is a bit overkill for my application so I'll probably replace it for a simple nimbus 29 road, with the steel frame and no brake...

Hopefully I won't have any hassle on the return.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-15, 07:01 AM   #116
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe
 
Gockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Well, I decided to try a mountain uni, and settled on the KH 29 instead of the 27.5 , mainly because

1) I will ride 80% paved bike paths and maybe 20% unpaved roads or really easy trails. I just don't see myself doing anything technical on the mountain.

2) I'm 6' tall with long legs.

However, there was a problem with the uni-- I spent about 15 minutes trying to get the seatpost in the frame. Eventually I got it in an inch or 2 at which point it then got stuck. My wife and I stabilized the wheel (me on 1 side, she on the other) and after about 5 minutes of twisting the seat back and forth we worked it back out. I felt inside the frame tube and it had some pretty bad gouges inside.

I sanded the inside of the frame post, cleaned it out, and put in some grease, and I got the post in, but still with a lot of effort.

Then, I had trouble mounting the brake handle to the seat. Seemed like a very simple operation, slide the handle over the little post under the seat and tighten the allen bolt. I got the bolt down pretty tight but the brake still would just slide off the post. So I gave the bolt another little turn, at which point the brake handle cracked at the bolt holes.

I really like the steel frame on my 24 nimbus, and the seat post is smooth and easy to adjust with no grease. And after looking at the monster 3+ inch tire on the KH29 it is a bit overkill for my application so I'll probably replace it for a simple nimbus 29 road, with the steel frame and no brake...

Hopefully I won't have any hassle on the return.

Chief
Ok to get a nimbus 29. Maybe later down the track get a brake.
But, you might still enjoy the KH29 with its fat tire, if you give it a good go.
__________________
If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-15, 09:32 AM   #117
BruceC
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Well, I decided to try a mountain uni, and settled on the KH 29
Nice choice! My favourite unicycle, and 90% of my riding is on road. Solid, light and with a wonderful bouncy Crux 3.25" tyre, however that tyre does have some rolling resistance on payment.

Fast enough for on road, controllable for rough ground (or my local footpaths) and in the right hands, fine for muni (not me sadly).

I had no issues with assembly, quality product. Added a T-bar and 117/137 cranks. Adjust the tyre pressure and crank length as required and it is a go anywhere machine.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-15, 06:42 PM   #118
Unigan
Unicyclist
 
Unigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: North Brisbane QLD, Australia
Posts: 71
I wouldn't worry about the brake at all, you've got the exact same wheel as my 29", Although the 29" is faster then the 24" you will soon get used to and comfortable with the speed and even downhill you can easily control it without a brake unless you're going down some really steep hills and in that case you just bail off the back. Hope you've honed your rear dismount skills as dismounting from the front on a higher uni frequently I found put a bit of stress on my knees.

Shame you're having trouble putting it together have you reached out to UDC? So you're going to return it? Hope it goes smoothly for you.
__________________
DRS 5'20" Giraffe || Nimbus II 24" || Nimbus Muni 29" || Kris Holm 36" Road

Last edited by Unigan; 2020-02-15 at 06:45 PM.
Unigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-16, 12:26 AM   #119
BHChieftain
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 106
Hi,
Yes, I wrote them my friday night, so they should respond on Monday.
I did some searching and it looks like I have this problem:

http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1546603

Anyway, I took my Nimbus 24 to another section of the bike trail by my house (got another 2miles in, this time long stretches with no dismounts!) , and it was in pretty bad shape--lots of bumps which made it tricky on my high pressure road tire on the 24. There are also extended bits of unpaved single track right next to the paved section. So, I think I'll stick with the KH29 plan. Hoping UDC will square it away for me.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inspiration


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inspiration Needed! Bibblesquash General Unicycling Discussions 14 2012-03-04 11:10 PM
Unicycling Inspiration. juggle508 General Unicycling Discussions 7 2005-03-21 09:21 PM
From inspiration to accomplishment bryan General Unicycling Discussions 4 2003-06-07 11:18 PM
Female inspiration AccordNSX General Unicycling Discussions 4 2002-11-01 10:40 PM
BMW inspiration InsPark General Unicycling Discussions 0 1999-05-24 10:16 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.10229 seconds with 14 queries