Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-09-05, 02:21 PM   #16
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
How was it?
Any photos?
The only photo I know of so far is this one on facebook at a regrouping stop across from Prospect Park.

The ride itself was a lot of fun. I've done enough hills now that the Brooklyn Bridge was easy. Fortunately there was not a lot of bike traffic (in either direction) when the ride went through, and though a few photographers had parked themselves on the dividing line I don't remember any pedestrians actually on the cycle side.

I did fall near the start of the bridge, landing on and slightly cutting my hand while widely detouring to try to pass someone on a 19" who was going a little slower than I felt stable matching. And later on tripped over the unicycle of someone who fell off right in front of me at the curb-cut from a road crossing. I was feeling really proud of myself when I came up with my unicycle in one hand and his in the other, walking briskly backwards to clear the ramp for the oncoming horde... but then I backed into a support bike. All in all though riding in a large group went much better than I was concerned it might. Either from inexperience or wheel size, only a minority of riders were prepared to idle, so generally everyone had the same challenges and realized that everyone else was facing them as well, resulting in remarkably little getting in each other's way or chain-reaction dismounts.

The route itself is mostly nice. A lot of it is on physically isolated cycle paths, though there were some sections of road riding that I in a different frame of mind I might have been less comfortable with. A long stretch in Brooklyn runs down a median with lights every block, and one of the support bikers was great about sprinting ahead to those and then parking in the intersection to stop anyone from abruptly turning into us. There's a very low fence running along that path, so there was a recurring sight of unicyclists hunched way over to hold it and wait for the light. Towards the end of that section there started to be increasingly large sports where the paving was broken upwards by frost or tree roots, but the first ones were small which provided nice training for dealing with them before hitting the largest. The last dozen blocks to Coney Island pretty much amounted to vehicular unicycling - fortunately traffic was light, but in a pinch one could walk that and rejoin the group at the end.

I'd say 29ers were the most common equipment choice, but there was at least one adult on a 19" and quite a few 36" and 24" to be seen. Overall we took enough breaks that the 13 miles took nearly four hours, so there was plenty of time for everyone to catch up (especially when someone waylaid an ice cream truck). I think a few riders even managed without relying on free mounting - either being helped up by a friend or one of the support bikers lending a shoulder.

Last edited by Engineer on a Unicycle; 2015-09-05 at 02:34 PM.
Engineer on a Unicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-05, 03:01 PM   #17
FoxxyD
Enemy of hoverboards everywhere

It's times like this when I wish I could be visiting my relatives in New York. I'm one of four unicyclists in my city (and one of the other three lives on the same block).
Nimbus Nightfox 36" (114mm)
Nimbus Road 29" (102mm, Magura brake)
www.foxxyd.com
FoxxyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-06, 12:09 AM   #18
song
Unicyclist

No Unicycle truck at Governor's Island this year. Everything else is the same, though. Lots of fun!
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-06, 02:23 AM   #19
blackthunder
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post

especially when someone waylaid an ice cream truck.
I must confess I was pretty proud of myself for that one, and even happier when I saw he has gone to where I asked. Next year I just need to get one to prospect park!
blackthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-06, 03:13 AM   #20
kayakzz
Unicyclist

Blackthunder:

That was too funny that worked out with the ice cream truck!
kayakzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-08, 02:42 AM   #21
Engineer on a Unicycle

This is a pretty well-done video of the Governor's Island portion of the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZymqZp3VwQ

And here are some interviews before and footage of the bridge ride:

http://www.newslook.com/videos/88042...e-for-festival
Old 2015-09-09, 12:20 AM   #22
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

Hi guys. UDC got the cranks delivered to me on time so I was able to do the Brooklyn Bridge ride. It was great riding with so many other rider.
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 12:42 AM   #23
Engineer on a Unicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicyclist Lou View Post
Hi guys. UDC got the cranks delivered to me on time so I was able to do the Brooklyn Bridge ride. It was great riding with so many other rider.
So you were somewhere in that crowd too!

Great that UDC came through with the cranks, but too bad they weren't vending at this year's festival - had really hoped I'd have a chance to see more of their wares in person, but I imagine it can't be cheap to have a couple of employees drive a van of stuff all the way here.

Really miss riding in the group... have half a mind to try to informally organize some local rides in the coming weeks.
Old 2015-09-09, 02:08 AM   #24
kayakzz
Unicyclist

Here are a few pictures from the festival, http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=3&page=1
kayakzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 05:20 AM   #25
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post
This is a pretty well-done video of the Governor's Island portion of the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZymqZp3VwQ
Hey that was great! One of these days I'd love to be in town for that. I wonder who organized the Sumo matches? I saw that little girl do the pre-fight bow, just like we do it at Unicon. Actually that game, most of the structure we've used over the years, was developed on Long Island.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-14, 09:52 AM   #26
JustOneWheel
Every One Should Ride One

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Hey that was great! One of these days I'd love to be in town for that. I wonder who organized the Sumo matches? I saw that little girl do the pre-fight bow, just like we do it at Unicon. Actually that game, most of the structure we've used over the years, was developed on Long Island.
We ran Sumo the same way it's done at Unicon.

Last edited by JustOneWheel; 2015-09-14 at 09:53 AM.
JustOneWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-31, 01:20 PM   #27
pierrox
Unicyclist

Is this event happening this year?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-01, 03:28 AM   #28
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

http://nycunifest.com/

Jacquie and I were thinking about going this year, but it doesn't fit for us this time. Got to get to that event one of these days; it looks like it just keeps getting better!

It might be fun to do an optional add-on ride, either before or after, where I could lead a group of interested riders down the Jones Beach Bikeway, from Wantagh to the beach! It's a great big wheel ride, but can be done with smaller wheel as well.

Or maybe along the Bethpage Bikeway, or even a Muni ride further north, on what appears to be a network of MTB trails that are now labeled on Google Maps. Fun! I haven't been on any of those in 20 years though, so I'm sure they're different...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-09-01 at 03:37 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-01, 04:48 AM   #29
song
Unicyclist

It appears that onsite vendors disappeared from the festival after 2014. With the UDC truck there, it was a place where, miraculously, you could actually buy unicycles and spare parts in person, and get expert advice from one of the world's few professional unicycle mechanics.

Last edited by song; 2016-09-01 at 04:48 AM.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-01, 02:36 PM   #30
William393
Supreme Commander

Great idea, John.

But that sounds like the Long Island Uni Fest.

Ours is the NYC Uni Fest, actually Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Song: Are you doing the Brooklyn Bridge ride Friday?
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, festival, nyc, september, unicycle