Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-06-07, 05:31 PM   #31
UPD
fail better.

The sidewalls do seem very thin, but it's handling the not so jagged rocky stuff in my area just fine. My riding appeals more to of climbing steep and riding down so the knard fits me better. Forgive me for such a change of heart, Im in total honeymoon with its significant weight loss and efficiency gain.

At my mediocre level, I did really appreciated the confidence boosting (yeah, in that sense the Duro is super tough and handles the roughest terrain) , and also, a tremendous leg workout, no doubt. Now Ive only submitted and becoming a weight weenie.

Now time for me to find a lighter 36er tire to play with!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 06:01 PM   #32
fugsworth
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
After feeling a 120 tpi knard, I wouldn't use it for muni. 27 tpi is much better.
Dude stop touching my Knard
fugsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 08:17 PM   #33
Capdoogie
Unicyclist

Well I have quickly found the goldy locks zone. My trials is great just farting around in one little area but to much work and pedal strikes through the rocks. My Oregon is just to heavy for what I like to do in the summer great for snow covered trails. My nimbus 24 seems to be just right for those techy dh switch back trails with a lot of hop down rock gardens. Not to change the post but I think no knard on my 26 this yr.
Capdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-09, 04:47 AM   #34
UPD
fail better.

Oregon got Knard

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...1&d=1433824362

Little dot is my Oregon up there. Ive been tackling this hill for quite some time trying to ride down it without a UPD. The Duro just required too much back pedal pressure to remain balanced. Woohoo! Did it on my Knard. With 'S's and also straight down it.

It really is good practice on this soft stuff, just in case of a nasty UPD. I just have to really watch out for rolling my ankle on the gopher holes, though. My new 510 Carvers seems to have the right grip and ankle support.
Attached Images

Old 2015-06-10, 01:54 PM   #35
Capdoogie
Unicyclist

That looks great. I get the ankle thing. I now use ankle supports when I ride. They help a ton on not twisting or tweaking your ankle or foot.
Capdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-13, 06:10 PM   #36
UPD
fail better.

Hi Caps, I got your message. Yes, I love the Knard more than ever now. Though, im not sure if its the case that my skills have improved so much since my hill riding with the Duro. Whatever it is, I know I am definitely better on it, again, maybe saddle time is a great contributor.
Sadly to announce, yesterday was my last day flying down that hill. Darn, whys all nice things have to end so soon. Apprearantly, an empoyee noticed me coming down that hill too many times and had stopped me. In the nicest tone of voice, he respectfully told me that hillsides are not to be ridden on. Because of errosion, nesting endangered ground owls, and potential rebars sticking out of the ground from previous staked sprinklers. Darn, he was so nice to me that I had no choice but to give him my words and stay only on trails. Yeah, I do see trails made by bikes that do premenently compact the soil, so with all repect, I will stay off the hillsides. Darn it though, it was blast when I was finally getting really good at it.

I ran the PSI at 18 or 19 which is plenty firm.
Got it at Modernbike.com
I have four 26" , highroller, Nate, maxxis beaver, and this one is my favorite by far, mainly because of the width and weight. Though, i couldnt really comment on the Nate becuase i had maybe only 3hrs of ride on it.
Old 2015-08-03, 11:07 AM   #37
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I have now tested both the Duro 26x3 and the Knard 26x3 on my Oracle (I'm guessing aprox. 5 hours on each tyre). With the Knard I also used a Foss tube.

The most noticable difference besides the weight is the stability. The Knard is excelent on even surfaces, but for muni it is challenging. I had trouble keeping my balance, and in my opinion this is not a tyre for beginners. It felt slightly better with higher airpressure. The Duro on the other hand is very stable and easy to ride, but the weight makes me tired and I can bearly get it off the ground when I try to hop (I am not very good at hopping).

I only ride in dry weather, but with mud holes everywhere the tyre is often constantly wet. In these conditions the Duro has much better grip on rock, because of the softer rubber. When riding through the mudholes, the Duro is also much better.

The best thing about the Knard is how easy it rolls over sections with lots of large roots. Compared to the Duro you can bearly feel them at all. The light weight and bouncyness of the Knard makes it fun to ride, but it is also difficult.

I think I will go back to the Duro for now.

This video shows the terrain I am riding (with the Duro): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnKks7o9tE
Old 2015-08-03, 01:20 PM   #38
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I have now tested both the Duro 26x3 and the Knard 26x3 on my Oracle (I'm guessing aprox. 5 hours on each tyre). With the Knard I also used a Foss tube.
[...]
The Duro on the other hand is very stable and easy to ride, but the weight makes me tired and I can bearly get it off the ground when I try to hop (I am not very good at hopping).
[...]
The best thing about the Knard is how easy it rolls over sections with lots of large roots. Compared to the Duro you can bearly feel them at all. The light weight and bouncyness of the Knard makes it fun to ride, but it is also difficult. ...
Yeah, the Duro is an excellent Muni tyre that's really easy to handle. The only downsides (for me) are weight, rolling resistance and inert reaction to bumps.
Which tube did you use for the Duro? The original 400g monster it comes with on most unicycles?
I'd recomment you to use your Duro tubeless. This compensates the negative issues you experienced with it. I've been riding this setup for 2 years now. It's absolutely great. It minimized the negative issues of the Duro without any negative effect.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-03, 04:40 PM   #39
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Which tube did you use for the Duro? The original 400g monster it comes with on most unicycles?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
I'd recomment you to use your Duro tubeless.
I'll stick with the Foss tube for now. I have never ridden tubless before.
Old 2015-08-04, 10:31 PM   #40
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
<snip>
I only ride in dry weather, but with mud holes everywhere the tyre is often constantly wet. In these conditions the Duro has much better grip on rock, because of the softer rubber. When riding through the mudholes, the Duro is also much better.
<snip>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnKks7o9tE
The major strength of the Knard is that it is lightweight for climbing yet has lots of volume to absorb shock and enable better rolling over uneven terrain. For such a large volume tire it is quite good at cornering, although not as good as some lower volume tires. These strengths are huge in that they describe the kind of terrain that many riders worldwide ride on average, much of the time. Hence why I spec'd it as standard on the 2015 KH26.

In my experience the Knard excels in dry conditions and is OK in wet terrain (wet rock, wet roots) as long as it is not muddy. The rubber compound is really grippy - personally I would not say that the Knard is at a disadvantage to the Duro here except that the squarer profile of the Duro may help you stick on edges on sidehills, or when riding along logs. But at the expense of cornering performance. The Gazzolodi was even better than the Duro in that regard although it's long discontinued.

It doesn't work well in clayey mud - the shallow tread combined with a round profile is not grippy. The Duro definitely wins on that account.

Ultimately we have to accept that one tire is just not going to be perfect in every condition given that some features that cause a tire to excel in one condition can directly contradict those that make it excel in another. Personally I'm willing to compromise on the Knard's lack of performance in mud given it's strengths in other areas, but that will depend on the rider.

Last edited by danger_uni; 2015-08-04 at 10:37 PM.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-15, 08:30 AM   #41
UniMyra

So I put the Duro back on, but after the Knard it felt heavy.

I went back to the Knard again yesterday (21 psi), and I had the most fun on the trail I've had in a long time. I still tend to fall over to the side as this tyre is not as stable and forgiving as the Duro, but I also had a lot of success this time. I think two things made the difference: The weather was good and has been for a few days, so the trail was almost dry. And I went from 160 to 150 cranks. I felt I needed longer cranks with the heavier Duro tyre, so this is what I had on when I tested the Knard also. I never felt completely comfortable with the 160 cranks on either tyre as I have used 150 cranks on everyting from 24 to 36 since I learned to ride in 2010.

I really want to master the Knard as it is so fun to ride, so I will keep this setup and alternate between the 24 (150/Duro) and the 26 (150/Knard).
Old 2015-08-16, 06:00 AM   #42
UPD
fail better.

After yesterday's personal best climb I really like the Knard. It does seem to have more camber to get used to due to the rounder profile than the Duro, but the weight savings makes it amazing, and well worth the tradeoff. For my type of riding, of mostly rolling and steep inclines and declines, and manuevering through sharp switchbacks and berms, it does a really good job for a wide 3"

It is quite sensitive to the right psi. I dont use the guage, but rather by the hand squeeze. Too squishy and youll feel inefficiently sluggish uphills. Too firm downhills and its hard to control going over bumps and and slowing down, and less grip. Way firm and it will feel harsh and youll bounce off the sadlle much easier.

Shoot, just now after rereading, I have realized there's nothing new that I just stated, but rather Im just agreeing with most others' experience.

Last edited by UPD; 2015-08-16 at 06:03 AM.
Old 2015-08-21, 08:59 PM   #43
bouin-bouin
Didier

Some weeks ago I had a ride with the KH24 from a friend with a 3" Gazzaloddi and it was amazing compared to my KH26 with a 2.5" Maxxis High Roller. The 3" Gazza reminded me my previous KH24 with a 3" Duro .... Better comfort, better grip, less camber sensitivity, ..... but very heavy

So I decided to build a custom KH26 with the 3" Knard (5990g, 835g for the tyre only) and had some rides with it this summer, but not on my usual field. I'm still looking for the right pressure (I rode the Knard from 1.4 to 1.7 bar = 20 to 25 PSI), right saddle inclination and hight, but the Knard seems to be really a good tyre for me, probably a little bit less stable and little bit more sensitive to camber than the Gazzaloddi or the Duro. I need some more rides to find the right set-up but I'm already very happy with it !
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2015-08-21 at 09:01 PM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 11:40 PM   #44
UPD
fail better.

20150821_130006_opt.jpg

Here's my latest ride yesterday with the 120tpi knard. Road camber is a little bit of an issue and yet I had to be sure I was confident enough to tackle this fairly steep singletrack downhills, which proved I was.
It performed nicely, of which I went past last Friday's trails and into new trails.

This track was and adrenaline rush. I had to remind myself to only bail towards mountainside if I must, and NOT look down anf get momentarily distracted at the downhill side. Whooo..what a rush, with that little room for error.

Im sure the Duro would perform just as nice or nicer on this track, but the problem is would it be able to get that steep and that far up in the first place...
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-23, 01:36 AM   #45
newob
Unicyclist

UPD, that looks like an awesome ride -- may I ask where that is?
newob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duro, knard, leopard, surly