Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-04-22, 04:30 PM   #61
Tribe
Everything is better with Bacon!

There are 3 of us from Chattanooga that would be willing to drop our campsite and move into the lodge to help spread the costs. We don't mind being split up. What would the cost be? 2 guys and 1 lady.
Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 04:37 PM   #62
munimag
Unicyclist

The cost for a room at the lodge is $130.35 for the weekend. There are now two rooms available. One room has two twin beds that sleeps 2 and one room has two sets of bunk beds that sleeps 4.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 04:45 PM   #63
munimag
Unicyclist

Room at the lodge

The room at the lodge that sleeps 4 has been claimed. There is still a room with two twin beds available.
Old 2015-04-22, 09:32 PM   #64
munimag
Unicyclist

Lodge check-in and details

Check-in time at Beard's Mountain lodge will be at 3:00 pm. I will be there by then to take care of the check-in. I have already asked about an earlier check-in and was told that we will not be able to get in earlier than that. If you arrive earlier you will have to wait until 3:00 pm to get in. If you are staying at the lodge make sure you stop at the office to get your vehicle pass. The lodge is registered under the name Claude Magnuson. There is a maximum of six cars at the lodge and a parking fee is charged for additional cars.

The kitchen has an electric range and oven, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, drip coffee-maker, pots, pans, dishes and utensils. The kitchen is not equipped with coffee filters, coffee, salt and pepper, or nonstick cooking spray. Bed linens are provided and include sheets, pillows, pillow cases, blankets, a comforter, towels, washcloths and dish towels. One set is provided per bed and they are not changed daily. The lodge also has a washer and dryer.
Old 2015-04-22, 11:13 PM   #65
haskinsc
'17 Mt. Washington Gold Medalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimag View Post
Sorry to hear that Robi. I hope you feel better soon. We will miss you.
Ditto that for me too. I really enjoyed riding Portal with you at Moab.
Get better soon!
haskinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-23, 02:41 AM   #66
munimag
Unicyclist

Lodge room available

If anyone who has reserved a campsite would rather have a room at the lodge, there is one available with two twin beds ($130.35 for the weekend). You can transfer your campsite reservation to the fall for no additional charge and avoid a cancellation fee. You can do it online or call call the Reservation Center at 1 800 933-7275. The fall dates are Sept 11-13.
Old 2015-04-23, 02:03 PM   #67
munimag
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtilley View Post
I'm hoping there will be enough of us on Friday to have two groups, a split to accommodate people's skill level?
I will volunteer to lead a more advanced ride starting at Beard's Mountain lodge at 4 pm to the top of the mountain and down to the park office. There will be lots of climbing and lots of steep downhill with sharp switchbacks.
Old 2015-04-23, 02:52 PM   #68
JimmyTheChimp
Unicyclist

Quote:
There will be lots of climbing and lots of steep downhill with sharp switchbacks.
Which one is the ride with very little climbing and lots of steep downhill?

I'd like to save my climbing legs for the usual Saturday afternoon ride, but Douthat doesn't ever seem to have that as an option.
JimmyTheChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-23, 05:57 PM   #69
Tribe
Everything is better with Bacon!

Haven't you found the elevator yet James?

I'm having the same thought. I want my legs to be as fresh as possible for Saturday afternoon, but I also want to challenge myself. Do I pace myself or just go all out? The adult in me says take it easy, but the kid in me says ride, Ride, RIDE! The kid is pretty loud unfortunately.
Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-23, 07:51 PM   #70
garmooza
another James

Quote:
I will volunteer to lead a more advanced ride starting at Beard's Mountain lodge at 4 pm to the top of the mountain and down to the park office. There will be lots of climbing and lots of steep downhill with sharp switchbacks.
Thanks Claude, I'll plan to join you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheChimp View Post
Which one is the ride with very little climbing and lots of steep downhill?

I'd like to save my climbing legs for the usual Saturday afternoon ride, but Douthat doesn't ever seem to have that as an option.
Someone just needs to bring a helicopter for some heli-muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
Haven't you found the elevator yet James?

I'm having the same thought. I want my legs to be as fresh as possible for Saturday afternoon, but I also want to challenge myself. Do I pace myself or just go all out? The adult in me says take it easy, but the kid in me says ride, Ride, RIDE! The kid is pretty loud unfortunately.
My thought is that depending on how much rain actually comes on Saturday I may not want to go all out anyways. So I say go all out on Friday while the conditions are likely to be better. Deal with Saturday when it comes.
garmooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-23, 08:14 PM   #71
jbtilley
Muni Foot

I certainly understand the logic behind that, but I take it there's little interest in having a group go on an easier ride Friday afternoon.

I was hoping my wife could get out on a ride on Friday before the bad weather hits.

Sunday looks like it could shape up nicely. My experience is that the trails drain really well, no worries about the trail conditions whatsoever, Brookes could tell you all about some "creek bed" riding.

Last edited by jbtilley; 2015-04-23 at 08:18 PM.
jbtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-23, 08:58 PM   #72
munimag
Unicyclist

Quote:
I certainly understand the logic behind that, but I take it there's little interest in having a group go on an easier ride Friday afternoon.
Stephen has offered to lead a ride starting from the ranger station on Friday. He was the first to announce a ride option for Friday. I offered a different ride option so people could have a choice of what type of ride they wanted.
Old 2015-04-23, 09:46 PM   #73
jbtilley
Muni Foot

Ok, thanks. I missed that one.
Old 2015-04-23, 10:37 PM   #74
haskinsc

Rainy day activity

If Saturday is a total rainout, we could visit Devil's Backbone brewery "The Outpost". It's right at I-64 and I-81:

http://www.dbbrewingcompany.com
Old 2015-04-23, 11:34 PM   #75
haskinsc

Quote:
My wife Shelley is interested in an easier ride Friday afternoon.
I'm up for the "Claude" ride.
We'll probably arrive around 3pm or so.
Looking forward to it.
- Chuck

Tags
2015, douthat, gatherings, muni, park, state, virginia