Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-14, 06:40 PM   #31
pierrox
Unicyclist

Have those in Red, pretty cute.
They're the new generation, when Adidas just bought them but didn't really advertise it - unlike now. The seam at the rear came off pretty quickly, and I got stuck too close to the pedal once and it nearly tore the (grippy for sure) sole off. My Spitfire are much older and in a much better shape.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-08, 11:25 PM   #32
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post
You might like the Freerider Pros then. They're more like a road cycling shoe than the standard Freeriders.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/f...-freerider-pro
And look what came through the door today!

First impressions are very positive - absolutely stiff as a board, light as a feather and just as sticky as everyone says they are. Theyre very low-profile too, in fact they're a bit too tight (Almost like a football boot in feel) but really that's exactly what I was hoping for! Nothing like the 'bulky skate shoe' style.

I rode to work in them and actually had some issues shifting gears because I couldn't move my feet on the pedals but I quickly got over that. I just hope that foot-swivelling doesn't wreck the rubber like it did on my Shimano shoes
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-09, 08:46 AM   #33
Moslki
Unicyclist

I've got my first 5 ten pair a few months ago and I also found them to be a really tight fit (before then I was using walking shoes and they were quite loose). I quickly got used to it. As you well mention they a really sticky, especially when they are Brand new, and it takes a few rides to get used to them.
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-09, 10:11 PM   #34
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
absolutely stiff as a board
I had a problem with a couple pairs of stiff 5/10s. Because they were so stiff, and because I was pushing with such force, the upper and lower parts of the shoe started separating at the heel. I am not having that problem with my current, more flexible pair of 5/10s. However, I had to add the insoles from two other pairs of shoes into the current ones to avoid pain in my feet.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 07:54 AM   #35
Scoox
Unicyclist

Five Tens are very good. Grip is superb and the sole material doesn't get eaten through by pedal studs, unlike regular trainer soles. The soles are pretty rigid which allows your feet to be more relaxed as you are not doing extra work just trying to keep your feet flat, this is especially good for trials. For styles not involving hops a softer sole may be more suitable but I wouldn't know. Another thing I really like about my Five Tens is that they breathe well and after about 5 months of use I don't notice any offensive odour. The ones I got are fully synthetic which keeps mould/mildew at bay, unlike leather suede shoes.

Last edited by Scoox; 2018-05-10 at 07:57 AM.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 08:40 PM   #36
Unitardis
One Wheeled Escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Five Tens are very good. Grip is superb and the sole material doesn't get eaten through by pedal studs, unlike regular trainer soles. The soles are pretty rigid which allows your feet to be more relaxed as you are not doing extra work just trying to keep your feet flat, this is especially good for trials. For styles not involving hops a softer sole may be more suitable but I wouldn't know. Another thing I really like about my Five Tens is that they breathe well and after about 5 months of use I don't notice any offensive odour. The ones I got are fully synthetic which keeps mould/mildew at bay, unlike leather suede shoes.
Hi Tux!
Unitardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-22, 02:36 PM   #37
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Unlike most on here it seems, I've never owned a pair of 5.10s. Though I suppose the shoes I do/have used are all discontinued (which may just be down to the dominance of 5.10 on the market). My current main riding shoes are Teva Links hi-tops, previously I had some Vans Gravel which eventually wore out - both shoes designed for riding with flat pedals. I also have a pair of Shimano AM-7, but prefer the Vans or Tevas. Reports of 5.10s soaking up lots of water put me off them, given the somewhat damp climate where I live. Haven't noticed anything wrong with the grip on any of those shoes.

Though currently I'm mostly just using a pair of cheap Vans skate shoes for riding.
Old 2018-05-22, 10:22 PM   #38
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I've only had these 5.10's two weeks or so and they're already showing pretty worrying signs of wear on the soles! Seems to be mostly where my foot pushes sideways to hit my Schlumpf button.

Why is our sport so hard to find footwear for!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2018-05-23, 01:07 AM   #39
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Same reason we don't have the perfect saddle. With the difference that people actually are making saddles specifically for unicycling...

That being said, my 5.10s all (except for my very new pair) have had separation of the tread part. That is, the special rubber compound part, which runs up the toes and heels on my three older pairs. The first two of those are retired, and had long lives of much hard riding. They were the Sam Hill of around 2007, and what resembles the current Sam Hill 3. My third pair, also like the current Sam Hill 3, are also starting to separate around the "toe box bumper" and a little around the heel. Still plenty of time to use some Shoe Goo in there, but this is happening earlier than it did on my older ones. My newest pair, the Freerider ELC, are perfect so far but don't have a lot of rides on them. They are different around the bottom, and we'll see if they start to separate after a whole bunch of rides, or not. All of my 5.10s still had great soles, showing very minimal wear, when they started to separate too much to use any more. What I need from a good uni shoe for Muni or Road riding is a stiff sole, and grippy surface, which is what those shoes excel at.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-23, 10:19 AM   #40
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
I've only had these 5.10's two weeks or so and they're already showing pretty worrying signs of wear on the soles! Seems to be mostly where my foot pushes sideways to hit my Schlumpf button.

I've been using my Impact high on a daily basis for about 5 months and they are still in good shape. I've got the nimbus metal pin studded pedals in all my Munis/trials/36er and unfortunately those pins will eat the sole away of any shoe. However, I think the sole of the High Impact is holding pretty well. I've just bought another pair of Impacts I've found at a reduced price so I can replace my current pair when they start to fall apart in a few months.. They are excellent shoes for Muni! the soles of my feet are very happy with them
Old 2018-05-23, 10:34 AM   #41
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Unlike most on here it seems, I've never owned a pair of 5.10s. Though I suppose the shoes I do/have used are all discontinued (which may just be down to the dominance of 5.10 on the market). My current main riding shoes are Teva Links hi-tops, previously I had some Vans Gravel which eventually wore out - both shoes designed for riding with flat pedals. I also have a pair of Shimano AM-7, but prefer the Vans or Tevas. Reports of 5.10s soaking up lots of water put me off them, given the somewhat damp climate where I live. Haven't noticed anything wrong with the grip on any of those shoes.

Though currently I'm mostly just using a pair of cheap Vans skate shoes for riding.
Hi there

We've got really wet and rotten weather where I live (North west) and the Impact High shoes are holding really well!. I think the main thing to remember is that as you are mostly pedaling (rather than walking) the wet weather doesn't affect your feet so much. When doing Muni I keep landing (UPDs) on really wet/thick mud but so far no water has got into my feet.

The Impact shoes are really, really thick and padded so I think unless you sink them in water/poodles all the time you won't get wet.

Don't know what other 5.10s shoes are like though. I definitely recommend the Impact Highs for Muni.
Old 2018-06-03, 12:03 PM   #42
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

I just got my first pair of Five Tens to see what all the hype is about. I got the standard Freeriders. They're pretty much impossible to find locally but I managed to find one bike shop which had some to get an idea of sizing. They didn't have the ones I wanted though so I ended up ordering them online anyway.

The rumours of grip are true. I find I have to pay attention to where my feet land on the pedals when I mount as it takes me a while to adjust position while riding. They're good at keeping my feet in place, but it's still nothing like using clipless pedals where you absolutely know that your foot can't move. I'm not game to go clipless on my unis though.

The sole doesn't feel particularly stiff. It's ok, but nothing like my SPD shoes.

The crash protection looks so-so, but I haven't tested it out yet. I guess the Impacts improve on this.

Haven't got them wet yet.

It would be nice if they did half sizes through the whole range. I have size 12, but 12.5 would probably be a bit better.

I like them so far. Would probably buy them again.
Old 2018-06-09, 03:30 PM   #43
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
That being said, my 5.10s all (except for my very new pair) have had separation of the tread part. That is, the special rubber compound part, which runs up the toes and heels on my three older pairs.
Mine aren't seperating, it's just the rubber itself being broken off (presumably by my pedal spikes). I can actually see the layer underneath the Stealth rubber through it now. It's weird because they still feel absolutely fine. Maybe I'll just let that hole stay there, it might make shifting easier because it's obviously where I'm grinding against the pedal when I shift gears, so if all the rubber goes away from that area I might be able to swivel on it

Just a bit worrying considering I've only had two months of fairly light use out of them (Basically just the work commute along with a few longer weekend rides).
Old 2018-06-10, 10:08 AM   #44
Chimeara
Chimeara

I have been using Five Ten freerider Elements for nearly twelve months for four or five rides a week. They are showing very little signs of wear on the soles, However i do find it almost impossible to reposition my feet on the pedals and when i do actually manage to, it is usually if i have managed to unweight my foot completley. But i would not hesitate to buy another pair when these are worn out.
Chimeara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, unicycling