Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-04-02, 04:59 AM   #1
littleman
Joe

Suburbs trials course ideas

Okay so I live in a tiny cul-de-sac, and the neighbors will get mad if I leave stuff in the middle of the street, so I need something thats cheap, reliable, and small, while also being fun to mess around on. I tried making a little box today but my idea failed and I lost one of my three pallets in the making of it.

So does anyone have any ideas of what I could build myself or something I could buy and transform into a trials obstacle.

If you have something like this, feel free to post a picture of it, I'd like to see it.

I seached this subject by the way, and all that came up was pictures of big trials courses with people with a large amount of property.
littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 05:08 AM   #2
Danni
Unicyclist

Boxes. If you can't build a box, there is no hope. Find more pallets? Go buy yourself $100 of 2x4s and plywood and make boxes, sandwich boards, skinnies (easiest to make), etc.
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 05:10 AM   #3
littleman
Joe

Well a box isn't the easiest to make off an old and rotting pallet with neven planks. I don't have 100 dollars to be throwing away on wood. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2008-04-02, 05:16 AM   #4
Danni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
Well a box isn't the easiest to make off an old and rotting pallet with neven planks. I don't have 100 dollars to be throwing away on wood. But thanks for the suggestion.
Well what am I supposed to say? You have no wood and no money. If you can't "throw" the necessary cash and time into the course, it will suck ass. My advice is to get some pallets, but you already knew that.
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 05:28 AM   #5
Uni Tricks
Klownz use knives

I just practice on kurbs and drains and then next when im better i will practice at the skatepark which is like 5kms away. Ill have to think of something...so i dont have to travel to the skatepark for 5kms. the park down the road has urban structures like benches, kurbs, drains, a playground, bridge,. but making a trials obstacle course....well at my circus school our trainer just put like brooms and chalk on the ground and we had to jump over them but thats probably what u not really lookin for.
Old 2008-04-02, 06:46 AM   #6
un1-r1d3r
Unicyclist

You dont need to throw money at it to get a good course (well not were I live) I have spent no money at all on my course and now its getting pretty awesome. If you keep an eye out you will soon start to realise how many pallets there are around. I have got all mine (30-40) from asking people. They are normaly happy enough for me to take them away. At my house we always have alode of scrap wood lying around which is useful but you can always sacrifise a pallet and use that wood. I will take some pics of what I made to give you some ideas. I have to move my course and put it away pertty frequently, when its dry I move it out onto my lawn but only leave it for a day. Either get yourself or make yourself (weld up) a sacktruck this will make it much eisier to move larger obstacles around.
un1-r1d3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 08:33 AM   #7
wheres_your_other_wheel
www.myspace.com/jonnyholdsock

Send a message via MSN to wheres_your_other_wheel
if there are any woods and forrests around you could go and get
a few logs i find theyre realy fun to ride on and they dont cost anything
wheres_your_other_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 10:43 AM   #8
sigve
Trials rider=)

Send a message via MSN to sigve
It's annoying to not have pallets, i know all about it.. we had a lot of half rotten ones, but one day i went down to my dads work place and asked if they had any i could have or borrow, they said yes.

Now i got like 5, and there's more than 100 down there, that i can take if i want! (yea, i'm lucky)

Anyone knows how many centimeters one pallet is?

I can jump 5 with pedal gram, and 4 without! So I'm kind of proud of myself
sigve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 11:00 AM   #9
un1-r1d3r
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigve
It's annoying to not have pallets, i know all about it.. we had a lot of half rotten ones, but one day i went down to my dads work place and asked if they had any i could have or borrow, they said yes.

Now i got like 5, and there's more than 100 down there, that i can take if i want! (yea, i'm lucky)

Anyone knows how many centimeters one pallet is?

I can jump 5 with pedal gram, and 4 without! So I'm kind of proud of myself
The hight of pallets varys by alot, when you stack a few up it makes the difference even more. Do you not have a tape mesure or even a ruler?? Just mesure them yourself, thats the only way to be sure.

Last edited by un1-r1d3r; 2008-04-02 at 11:01 AM.
un1-r1d3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 04:34 PM   #10
littleman
Joe

Yea I know I can get more pallets to use for wood but I need some kind of basic design. Like if someone could build a basic 1ft. by 1ft. box out of uneven pallet boards and maybe a thin sheet of wood for the top I'd like to see how you managed to do it. ALSO UN1-R1D3R I'd like to see the pictures of some of your stuff, its sounds just like what I'm looking for.
Old 2008-04-02, 08:28 PM   #11
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Sandwich boards, skinnies, pallets, and boxes.

Check my sig for building ideas and instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni
Boxes. If you can't build a box, there is no hope. Find more pallets? Go buy yourself $100 of 2x4s and plywood and make boxes, sandwich boards, skinnies (easiest to make), etc.
Or get scrap wood for free at construction/demolition sites and lumber yards (If you get it from demolition sites, beware of lead paint. I'd sand the paint off in a very well ventilated area, while wearing a REALLY good mask.)

My grandfather built a 6' high, 300' long fence almost entirely from scrap wood by making daily trips to a construction site for almost a year.

At a lot of places you can get free pallets, if you ask nicely.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2008-04-02 at 08:30 PM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 08:38 PM   #12
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
You didnt search good enough, cause there are tons of threads about this stuff.

Heres some videos that show good courses and here are some pictures that might help you.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 09:33 PM   #13
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick
You didnt search good enough, cause there are tons of threads about this stuff.

Heres
What's Michael's handle hear?

I know he posted a bunch of picks hear somewhere.

I've looked for them and those vids all over but couldn't find them. Thanks.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 11:20 PM   #14
Tjorning
slicin' up the singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74
Sandwich boards, skinnies, pallets, and boxes.
Or get scrap wood for free at construction/demolition sites and lumber yards (If you get it from demolition sites, beware of lead paint. I'd sand the paint off in a very well ventilated area, while wearing a REALLY good mask.)

My grandfather built a 6' high, 300' long fence almost entirely from scrap wood by making daily trips to a construction site for almost a year.

At a lot of places you can get free pallets, if you ask nicely.
our town is covered in construction sites right now (urbansprawl, yuck) and I've got lots of good stuff from dumpsters. I'm also a fan of cement blocks, but they hurt more to fall on.
Tjorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 01:08 AM   #15
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74
What's Michael's handle hear?

I know he posted a bunch of picks hear somewhere.

I've looked for them and those vids all over but couldn't find them. Thanks.
Handle hear? Ill just assume you mean his username here. lol

I actually dont know. I just did a search and found all those links in some threads. I think one of the threads with most of the info in it, you posted.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas, suburbs, trials