Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-25, 04:09 PM   #16
gwymer
Unicyclist

So Xcited that you are coming. I still can't believe it has been 6 years since we started STOMP. It has grown every year and we add and adjust to make the event better every year. We will do the field competitions again this year. The giraffe race, the monster race, the 36er race, etc. It was so much fun adding that to the weekend. Getting Xcited!!
gwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-29, 10:37 AM   #17
wrotenberry
Unicyclist

STOMP Muni Fest Deal from Quax!

Attached is a great deal on a brand new Quax 27.5!
Attached Images

wrotenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-31, 03:54 PM   #18
Strokin99
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrotenberry View Post
Attached is a great deal on a brand new Quax 27.5!
So 2 years ago I showed up at the Stompfest with a kh24 and a kh29. I realized I needed something in the middle, due to my skill set. Since I couldn’t afford 3 muni’s I sold the 29 and bought a kh 26. Put a surly3.0 tire on it and never looked back. I running rim brakes up until 2 weeks ago, then I just add the disc brake. I believe I have the perfect muni now. Don’t make want a new 27.5 now. You’re killing smalls!
Dan
Strokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 01:29 PM   #19
gwymer
Unicyclist

"Purist"-what are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

New Thought/Question:

What do people think about being a "purist" when it comes to unicycling?

What do I mean?

Mountain bikers over time, as they become more hardcore, often (not always)"up the ante"
As their experience grows, they modify to challenge themselves more.
They move to single gear. Then they might move to rigid. They simplify their bike to increase the personal challenge.

I have always said that unicycle is the logical next step. We take it down to its most basic element-"PURiST". The "purist" in me sees that as a seat, fork, wheel, pedals--the basic foundation needed to make it work.

Today, however, we have so many new options--schlumpf gears, brakes, multi-holed crank arms, and "handle bars". It almost seems like we are moving in the wrong direction. All we need to add now, is a second wheel.....OUCH, did I just say that?

I say it only in jest, but I do struggle with wondering what all we should or shouldn't add to the unicycle, before it becomes to close to the bicycle??

I would LOVE your thoughts!!!
Old 2018-09-04, 03:25 PM   #20
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I believe that's called outfitting.

With your view, an ultimate wheel would be the purist. Maybe you should re-label yourself as a minimalist.

I think it's funny how "outfitting" other sports will usually make the experience better by having luxurious or comfortable aspects to it.
This allows a beginner to enjoy the experience a little more while giving the expert what they want.

In order to take advantage of unicycling outfitting, you have to have experience already. Beginners can't usually gain from the outfitting offered to unis.

A purist, to me, is a person who has total control over their uni in a completely balanced way.
It's not a 2 minute gimmick ride to show off the 1 1/2 trick pony, they are able to perform any action on the uni without re-adjusting (whatever) before they do it, and someone who works hard to achieve symmetry and balance.

I don't think we're even allowed to say "purist" anymore... No?
It's too alienating.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 04:57 PM   #21
gwymer
Unicyclist

I am completely intrigued by the ultimate wheel and have tried it briefly at STOMP. I love your comments and see that "outfitting" tends to go 2 directions. One is upgrading and making easier-higher quality, less weight, drag, etc. The other part is making it more challenging. I realize that I have some discrepancy in my thinking--I have no problem obviously with upgrading to a 27.5 but still am struggling with the "cheat" of having a brake. I didn't say it made sense necessarily, it is just where my mind goes. As unicyclists, we cherish our sport often for its uniqueness and challenge. At what point do we compromise that? Monday when we came off a 7 mile ride which included some black diamond trails, it was fun to hit the parking lot and get all the questions from the mountain bikers.--"You ride that on the trails?"--being one of the best ones. I want to be good, have a good time, but also preserve what we as unicyclists have fought to make ours.
Old 2018-09-05, 01:31 AM   #22
wrotenberry
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwymer View Post
I am completely intrigued by the ultimate wheel and have tried it briefly at STOMP. I love your comments and see that "outfitting" tends to go 2 directions. One is upgrading and making easier-higher quality, less weight, drag, etc. The other part is making it more challenging. I realize that I have some discrepancy in my thinking--I have no problem obviously with upgrading to a 27.5 but still am struggling with the "cheat" of having a brake. I didn't say it made sense necessarily, it is just where my mind goes. As unicyclists, we cherish our sport often for its uniqueness and challenge. At what point do we compromise that? Monday when we came off a 7 mile ride which included some black diamond trails, it was fun to hit the parking lot and get all the questions from the mountain bikers.--"You ride that on the trails?"--being one of the best ones. I want to be good, have a good time, but also preserve what we as unicyclists have fought to make ours.
I have been thinking not as much of equipment change but price change. UDC has hit close to the $1000 mark on several KH models. I’m not sure why the price jump for the same machine that cost $300 a year or two ago. I fear they may be pricing themselves out of business. Perhaps Kris Holm is driving the increase and UDC has no control over it? Whatever it is, the QX Series is beating them all price wise right now with price and quality.
Old 2018-09-05, 02:19 AM   #23
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Which models jumped from $300 to $1000?
Old 2018-09-05, 10:09 AM   #24
wrotenberry
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Which models jumped from $300 to $1000?
That was a typo. I meant some of the KH models were around $300 cheaper a few years ago.
Old 2018-09-05, 02:57 PM   #25
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Looks like a typo on the ad as well.

Using the word "difference" instead of "discount" would give some truth to the ad.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 04:40 PM   #26
gwymer
Unicyclist

Tire pressure

Someone brought up the point about tire pressure as a comment to my discussion about my switching rim and tire size. When I went from the 3" to the 2.4" Maxxis I had to reevaluate my tire pressure preference. I tend to love a really soft tire. I usually just put some air in and squeeze the sides of the tire to see if it "feels" right. Due to the discussion, I actually measured this week as we hit the trails. I am running 18 lbs on my QX 27.5 with the 2.4s. I don't think I can run much lower without fear of rim pinching. My specs: I am weighing in at 165 at 5'9". I hit a lot of different trail dynamics, but will admit that I don't do a lot of extreme drops. --18-24" drops would be about my max. If I was doing anything more extreme, then the tire pressure would have to go up to handle it. I still have more "bounce" it seems to me with this wheel, that I am getting used to, but it does roll over roots and rocks better than the 26" rim. I am missing the feel of my KH26 rim and tire combo though some. I am nervous that changing to the 3" tire would add enough weight that it might not be the solution I want. Any change has give and take, pros and cons. It is a matter of weighing those options to see what meets your individual needs, skills, and preferences.

Let me know what you think.
Old 2018-09-06, 07:24 PM   #27
pierrox
Unicyclist

Interesting observation on the purist element. My take on it is that it doesn't quite apply to us. A lot of the "progress" on mountain bikes, especially lately, are about pushing users to get the latest gadgets as those are pushed on them as either ground breaking, or making you a better rider.

The latest prime example being the 27.5" tire... a lot of the marketing insisted on how the bigger wheel was so much better at not getting trapped in holes in the ground as it would literally fly over the holes. Which might be true for a 36" vs a 26", but the extra 1.5" (and that's to the diameter!) hardly change the global angle of the wheel. But it worked and all the manufacturers jumped on the band wagon, journalists drank the kool aid and now 26" is going extinct in the high end market.

As a reaction to the industry being very pushy, some people decided to go the opposite, tending to more minimalistic equipment. "Do I need 27 gears on my road bike? Hell no, actually I'm going to have only one, and I'll even remove the freewheel". "And I don't need those hydraulic brakes which I can't service myself, I'll just have front pads". And so on.

It's different in our world because unis never had brakes to start with. And frankly, once you used one going downhill there is no turning back. Unlike bikes, we went from nothing to disc in a pretty short amount of time. And my knees are thanking the brake everyday. We're already a niche sport, there might be a super margin willing to keep it simple, but overall, it's not like our manufacturers are trying to push hard useless innovation on us.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 07:40 PM   #28
gwymer
Unicyclist

Love your comments!!

As a bike mechanic I love that with no brakes, no gears, no derailleurs, no shocks, etc, I have virtually no maintenance. I ride, I throw it in the back of my car--no bike rack too :-)
-And pull it back out to ride again. The sport is simple--and "pure". Now, with my QX36er, there is not really an option of not having a brake. Even on flat ground, once you get those 125s spinning quickly I too can't imagine trying to stop without a brake.

I just feel like I lost some wow factor on the trails when the mountain biker sees what we can do and I am using a brake. The more I add the less difference there is. I also love to have mine as light as possible. On my KH26 muni I can only think of one time that I hit a hill steep enough that I really would have liked a brake. Maybe I am not challenging myself enough with more extreme declines. :-)
Old 2018-09-08, 02:05 AM   #29
Strokin99
Unicyclist

I went from a rim brake to a disc brake on my kh26 in the past month. I found myself looking for steep hills to go down now. Just another new challenge. I have also been trying to use the brake more and more to gain control so I don’t have to back pedal as much
Strokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 01:35 PM   #30
gwymer
Unicyclist

What is the right Muni size?

New question/discussion: How should someone pick the right sized Muni?
26 or 27.5 or 29????

For those of us who have been riding for a while, what do you think?

How much is based on size? How much on experience? How much is just preference?

My opinion (for what is is worth-with 9 years of muni riding):

Most beginners feel more comfortable starting smaller (24, or 26) due to closeness to the ground. Then, once they have experience, they move into one that fits their size. As a 5'9", 160 lb. person--29 just seems too big for me on the trails.

I will say--my 26er seemed pretty tall until I got my 36er. I was much more open to going higher after some time on that.

Let me know your thoughts!

Tags
275, muni, versus