Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-22, 05:49 PM   #16
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplecorn View Post
Yep, someone asking this question confirms my fear that 27.5" is too unwieldly for muni. I'm not talking about downhill muni, and all that muni in the cool Vimeo and Youtube videos where people are rolling over rocks, branches 'n stuff *downhill*.

You know, slogging uphill until you run out of gas and fall off. Racing mountain bikers who are in their lowest gears uphill. Seems like the loss of control and torque with anything bigger than 26" is too much.
27.5" is fine for MUni. I use 29" for MUni all the time and I climb way more uphill than most people. And when I ride with groups of mountain bikers, I climb faster than 80% of them on long uphills.

As others have said, mounting sideways to the trail and then turning works. Or, standing on a higher point at the edge of the trail so you don't have to hop up as much. Or on a curb if you're on road.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 07:05 AM   #17
candyapplecorn
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
27.5" is fine for MUni. I use 29" for MUni all the time and I climb way more uphill than most people. And when I ride with groups of mountain bikers, I climb faster than 80% of them on long uphills.

As others have said, mounting sideways to the trail and then turning works. Or, standing on a higher point at the edge of the trail so you don't have to hop up as much. Or on a curb if you're on road.
I started doing that with my new KH 26". It's bigger than I was expecting but I'm able to get on it by doing a half static, half rolling mount almost perpendicular to the trail. Not exactly perpendicular, maybe 20 - 30 degrees away from being perpendicular. Sometimes I'll walk up to 20 feet back towards the way I came to get an easier mounting spot. Also standing on the higher edges of the trail works for me too

Last edited by candyapplecorn; 2018-01-23 at 07:05 AM.
candyapplecorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
275, free, mounting, uphill, wheel