Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-11-16, 07:57 PM   #1
entropy
Dropped

Moment Hub & ISIS cranks - compatibility?

Maybe my brain's slowing down as I get older (), but I can't seem to make sense of all the threads about ISIS compatibilities and incompatibilities. (See attached images, from here...if you're French.) Some cranks work on all hubs, while others only work on certain hubs, and some setups are masquerading as ISIS but completely incompatible. I heard that some have changed since the initial flurry of testing, too. It's just too much for me to sort through. So, instead, a simplified question:

Given a KH Moment hub, what 170mm and/or 175mm cranks will fit? Bicycle cranks inclusive. (and have you tried them yourself?)
Attached Images

Last edited by entropy; 2006-11-16 at 08:00 PM.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 08:46 PM   #2
David
Newsgroup User

Re: Moment Hub & ISIS cranks - compatibility?

entropy wrote:

>
> Given a KH Moment hub, what 170mm and/or 175mm cranks will fit?

That chart doesn't show. It lists KH Moment cranks, & KH Balance hubs.
The KH website shows Moment crank & hubs, but not Balance, so I'm not
sure what that means. Anyway those KH hubs were compatible with all
ISIS cranks in the chart except Qu-ax, and were the most compatible of
the hubs in the chart.

That's going to be a factor in my upcoming muni purchase. Hopefully
next month.

Old 2006-11-16, 09:40 PM   #3
brendan
Unicycling = trials

uhm.. if you want no trouble.. get the cranks and the hub from the same company.....

yeah they should get this isis rubbish sorted out!
brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 09:55 PM   #4
mscalisi
Unicyclist

True, but it sort of defeats the purpose of buying something that's standardized. The reason to buy an ISIS hub is the ability to use a broad variety of cranks. All ISIS hubs should work with all ISIS cranks. Components that deviate from this shouldn't be labeled ISIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan
uhm.. if you want no trouble.. get the cranks and the hub from the same company.....

mscalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 10:52 PM   #5
joemarshall
dumb blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Maybe my brain's slowing down as I get older (), but I can't seem to make sense of all the threads about ISIS compatibilities and incompatibilities. (See attached images, from here...if you're French.) Some cranks work on all hubs, while others only work on certain hubs, and some setups are masquerading as ISIS but completely incompatible. I heard that some have changed since the initial flurry of testing, too. It's just too much for me to sort through. So, instead, a simplified question:

Given a KH Moment hub, what 170mm and/or 175mm cranks will fit? Bicycle cranks inclusive. (and have you tried them yourself?)
According to the table on unicycle.co.uk, the KH, Qu-AX and Onza hubs are ISIS, so you can swap round the cranks between them, the koxx hubs & cranks aren't really ISIS, so you can't use them with any others.

Joe
joemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 11:50 PM   #6
onetrack
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to onetrack
I just test fitted my 05' ZOO! biketrials cranks to the moment hub, and they fit. All Echo, ZOO!, Adamant, Czar, and GU bike trials parts are all made by the same company. So cranks by any of these "companys" will work. I rode with Kris in Telluride, and he was using Tensile cranks, so those obviously fit.

I had to make a trip to the post office, so I took the cranks along to compare weight.
ZOO! 170mm (one crank) = 9oz, 255g
Moment 137mm (one crank) = 11oz, 312g
Moment 165mm (set) = 682g <from krisholm.com

edit: biketrials cranks are made to use a thread-on cog, or freewheel, so there is no spider to get in the way.

I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it the dioflip

Last edited by onetrack; 2006-11-16 at 11:54 PM.
onetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 01:25 AM   #7
entropy
Dropped

Great - exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone!
Old 2006-11-17, 05:10 AM   #8
markf
movie nerd

Send a message via AIM to markf
yep. theoretically any ISIS crank will work on any ISIS hub. not always the case but close. in fact the KH/koxx incompatibility is the only one i know of with ISIS stuff. everything else i've ever heard of works together. that's the point of standards.
markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 06:58 AM   #9
blackbike
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to blackbike
yer basically, everyone got it right except koxx
blackbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 09:45 AM   #10
Niko
Unicyclist

Koxx should just stop calling their crankset "ISIS". Doing so is a violation of the ISIS-license.

I really don't understand why at least the shops stop calling them ISIS? They cause confusion with that and knowingly do false advertising. Next time I sell a car I will advertise it as a "Porsche (note that this is not actually a Porsche, its a Renault, but I just call it this way cause it looks better)".

I think they should call it the "specialkoxxcrankstandardthatisincompatiblewitheverythingcausekoxxistoos tupidtobuildaproperisiscrankset" .

Last edited by Niko; 2006-11-17 at 09:49 AM.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 12:54 PM   #11
mango
unity - as 1 stand together

Send a message via AIM to mango
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrack
I just test fitted my 05' ZOO! biketrials cranks to the moment hub, and they fit. All Echo, ZOO!, Adamant, Czar, and GU bike trials parts are all made by the same company. So cranks by any of these "companys" will work. I rode with Kris in Telluride, and he was using Tensile cranks, so those obviously fit.

I had to make a trip to the post office, so I took the cranks along to compare weight.
ZOO! 170mm (one crank) = 9oz, 255g
Moment 137mm (one crank) = 11oz, 312g
Moment 165mm (set) = 682g <from krisholm.com

edit: biketrials cranks are made to use a thread-on cog, or freewheel, so there is no spider to get in the way.

This sounds like very useful stuff! I bet most of us dont know a thing about trials bike cranks. Can you tell us or steer us in the direction of a place that will compare the strengths, weights, etc of bike trials cranks? Or, simply, which cranks the bike commmunity considers to be the best.
Old 2006-11-17, 04:11 PM   #12
Borgschulze
2 Wheel Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Borgschulze
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango
This sounds like very useful stuff! I bet most of us dont know a thing about trials bike cranks. Can you tell us or steer us in the direction of a place that will compare the strengths, weights, etc of bike trials cranks? Or, simply, which cranks the bike commmunity considers to be the best.
Probably, Zoo!, Monty and Echo are the best.
Old 2006-11-17, 10:17 PM   #13
jayhawker
Unicyclist

I'm using the 175 Truvativ Luftalarm cranks with a Koxx hub and a Surly rim (see my avatar). The Luftalarm cranks have a fair amount of 'Q' factor.
It sounds like some Koxx hubs are within the ISIS spec and some are not (I guess I got lucky).
Either that or both Koxx and Truvativ are not ISIS compliant.
jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 10:17 PM   #14
onewheelinwierdo
"See what Brown can crash for you!"

Send a message via AIM to onewheelinwierdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan
Hear, Hear! after all ISIS does stand for: INTERNATIONAL Splined Interface STANDARD!
Dude, don't make fun of him. He might read this, find us, and then run us over with his hardcore minivan.
><>Unicycle For Christ<><

onewheelinwierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 10:34 PM   #15
onetrack
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to onetrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango
Bikers all seem to agree on middleburn cranks being the holy grail of trials cranks, But those use a bolt on chainring. All "Deng" cranks (compaines listed in my previous post) have been getting good reviews, and all use track cogs.

Search observedtrials.net there's alot of info there. If you post, don't tell them you're a unicyclist

I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it the dioflip
onetrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, cranks, hub, isis, moment