Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-09-07, 04:34 AM   #1
Ken Fuchs
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

I finally did an out and back route for 15.1 miles in one hour. I'm
really elated over this accomplishment. Final distance came to 15.59
miles (25.1 km) in 1:01:46, which is not a bad a 25km time trial.
Maximum speed was 17.1 MPH.

I used a Deluxe Coker, 125mm cranks, GB handle, and a completely flat
Miyata Air Seat. I was surprised how comfortable ride the ride was.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
  Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-07, 04:34 AM   #2
Ken Fuchs
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

Please allow me to add a few more comments. The ride started at about
11:10 AM and ended around 12:12 PM on Friday, 5 September 2003.

>I finally did an out and back route for 15.1 miles in one hour. I'm
>really elated over this accomplishment. Final distance came to 15.59
>miles (25.1 km) in 1:01:46, which is not a bad a 25km time trial.
>Maximum speed was 17.1 MPH.


>I used a Deluxe Coker, 125mm cranks, GB handle, and a completely flat
>Miyata Air Seat. I was surprised how comfortable the ride was.


My Miyata Air Seat developed a fast (one minute) air leak and rather
than repair it, I simply raised the seat an inch to account for the
missing inch of ait in my seat.

I also forgot to mention that my Coker's cycle computer has 2769mm
programmed in as the circumference of my wheel whose tire has slight
wear in two spots only. This value should account for both rider load
and wobble.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
  Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-07, 05:54 AM   #3
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist
 
GizmoDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 41
Posts: 3,680
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Fuchs
I finally did an out and back route for 15.1 miles in one hour. I'm
really elated over this accomplishment. Final distance came to 15.59
miles (25.1 km) in 1:01:46, which is not a bad a 25km time trial.
Maximum speed was 17.1 MPH.

I used a Deluxe Coker, 125mm cranks, GB handle, and a completely flat
Miyata Air Seat. I was surprised how comfortable ride the ride was.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
Well done Ken!

Keep that up for a further 135km and you'll have the 100 mile record

I think I read somewhere on this forum that Christian Hoverath and others did a roughly a 24km/h average speed while racing in a 42km Marathon. So that has to be some achievement to average 25km/h.

I can't get average much above 20-21km/h at the moment on my Coker that I've had for a week- but I have nowhere flat to ride

Well done,

Ken
(I like your name by the way)

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2003-09-07 at 05:55 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-07, 05:52 PM   #4
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle
 
Mikefule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Bennington, Lincolnshire, England.
Posts: 7,190
Impressed. My first time trial was 10.44 in an hour, but I worked up to 12.95 over a period of a few weeks. That was on 150s, so our times are comparable if you were on 125s.
__________________
My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-07, 10:44 PM   #5
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:52:03 -0500, Mikefule
<Mikefule.tedh4@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>That was on 150s, so our times are
>comparable if you were on 125s.


Hmmm. As someone who recently cast so much doubt on the Constant Foot
Speed Hypothesis, you've got to prove that statement.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

  Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-07, 11:31 PM   #6
dan
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 179
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Fuchs
I finally did an out and back route for 15.1 miles in one hour. I'm
really elated over this accomplishment. Final distance came to 15.59
miles (25.1 km) in 1:01:46, which is not a bad a 25km time trial.
Maximum speed was 17.1 MPH.

I used a Deluxe Coker, 125mm cranks, GB handle, and a completely flat
Miyata Air Seat. I was surprised how comfortable ride the ride was.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
I'll come out of the dark to respond to this one. You should be elated. Well-done Ken! To my knowledge only one other rider has completed the out and back 15-mile course in less than 1 hour. I believe you are the first to do it on a Coker. Unbiker did it about a year ago on his bike.

Breaking the hour barrier for 15 miles says a lot about your level of fitness and ability to concentrate. It's not easy to do. I've tried it several times and failed. However, next year I'll be back with a vengeance.

If you know your 15-mile time please post it so I can add it to the spreadsheet to which I have a reason to start now that 2 names are on it.

Again congratulations-You are among an elite group of riders in the world of speed and distance unicycling.

dan
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-08, 05:09 AM   #7
Ken Fuchs
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

Ken aka GizmoDuck <GizmoDuck.tdg5b@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Ken Fuchs wrote:


>> *I finally did an out and back route for 15.1 miles in one hour.
>> I'm really elated over this accomplishment. Final distance came to
>> 15.59 miles (25.1 km) in 1:01:46, which is not a bad a 25km time
>> trial. Maximum speed was 17.1 MPH.


>> I used a Deluxe Coker, 125mm cranks, GB handle, and a completely
>> flat Miyata Air Seat. I was surprised how comfortable ride the ride
>> was. Cycle computer circumference of 2769mm.


>Keep that up for a further 135km and you'll have the 100 mile record


I like how you think, Ken!

>I think I read somewhere on this forum that Christian Hoverath and
>others did a roughly a 24km/h speed while racing in a 42km Marathon. So
>that has to be some achievement to average 25km/h.


Looking up the Duesseldorf City Marathon, I'm not surprised to see that
Christian Hoverath completed the 42.195km marathon in 1:44:39 for an
average speed of 24.19 km/h (15 MPH).

Well, anyone who could maintain a 24.2 km/h speed for 42.2 km for
1:44:39, surely could increase the cadence a bit and do 25 km in 1
hour. I agree 100%, Ken.

Thanks for the kind comments, Ken!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
  Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-08, 06:19 AM   #8
Ken Fuchs
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

Mikefule <Mikefule.tedh4@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Impressed. My first time trial was 10.44 in an hour, but I worked up to
>12.95 over a period of a few weeks. That was on 150s, so our times are
>comparable if you were on 125s.


Thanks for your kind comments, Mikefule!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
  Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-08, 07:39 AM   #9
Ken Fuchs
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

>Ken Fuchs wrote:

>> I finally did an out and back route for 15.1 miles in one hour.
>> I'm really elated over this accomplishment. Final distance came to
>> 15.59 miles (25.1 km) in 1:01:46, which is not a bad a 25km time trial.
>> Maximum speed was 17.1 MPH.


>> I used a Deluxe Coker, 125mm cranks, GB handle, and a completely
>> flat Miyata Air Seat. I was surprised how comfortable ride the ride was.


dan <dan.tet7x@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I'll come out of the dark to respond to this one. You should be elated.
>Well-done Ken! To my knowledge only one other rider has completed the
>out and back 15-mile course in less than 1 hour. I believe you are the
>first to do it on a Coker. Unibiker did it about a year ago on his
>bike.


Yes, Unibiker reported on rec.sport.unicycling doing 15 miles in less
than an hour first on a unibike. I may be the first unicyclist to
report on rec.sport.unicycling doing 15+ miles in an hour on a Coker,
but perhaps others have done 15 miles on a Coker in an hour, but simply
haven't reported it on rec.sport.unicycling.

>Breaking the hour barrier for 15 miles says a lot about your level of
>fitness and ability to concentrate. It's not easy to do. I've tried it
>several times and failed. However, next year I'll be back with a
>vengeance.


Thank you very much for these kind words, Dan!

>If you know your 15-mile time please post it so I can add it to the
>spreadsheet to which I have a reason to start now that 2 names are on
>it.


I don't know the precise time of the 15 mile mark, but I do know that my
computer's average speed read a constant 15.1 MPH for the last few
miles. There was a headwind out and a tailwind in and I was desperate
not to drop below 15 MPH so as not to have any doubt that I did the
first 15 miles of the 15.59 mile within the first hour. Assuming
precisely a 15.1 MPH average at the 15 mile mark, the time was 59:36.

>Again congratulations-You are among an elite group of riders in the
>world of speed and distance unicycling.


Now, you are being too kind! I still need to demonstrate my speed and
endurance in an official time trial or other official long distance
competition on a Coker.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
  Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-29, 07:17 AM   #10
Frank Bonsch
Newsgroup User
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coker 15 mile and 25km time trials - 15.14 MPH average for 1:01:46

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 00:06:57 -0500, Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>
wrote:

>Looking up the Duesseldorf City Marathon, I'm not surprised to see that
>Christian Hoverath completed the 42.195km marathon in 1:44:39 for an
>average speed of 24.19 km/h (15 MPH).
>
>Well, anyone who could maintain a 24.2 km/h speed for 42.2 km for
>1:44:39, surely could increase the cadence a bit and do 25 km in 1
>hour. I agree 100%, Ken.


I finished second after Christian in the Duesseldorf Marathon with
1:48:20 (avg 23.37 km/h = 14.52mls/hr). Yesterday I rode 25.16km
(15.64 mls) in a 1hr time trial on my geared up 28". So imagine what
Christian can do in one hour ;-)

What ist the best 'official' time for the 42.195km marathon? On
http://www.fsinet.or.jp/~redcross/ju...sh/english.htm there ist
an incredible 1:40:52 listed for a 24" unicycle. Does anybody know
about the race or the rider (Shigeno Hiroki) or does anybody know
about a better time?

Frank
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1514, 25km, average, coker, mile, mph, time, trials


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.12666 seconds with 10 queries