Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-12-31, 09:34 PM   #16
haskinsc
'17 Mt. Washington Gold Medalist

My goals are to complete one of the following:
  1. Climb Mt. Lemmon in Tucson AZ on my 36er.
    My wife's parents live there so it would also be a family visit.
  2. Climb Pike's Peak in Colorado on my KH24.
    One of the local riders who hosted Ed Pratt on his U.S. leg - Darrell - moved to Colorado Springs and is thinking of doing it and invited others to join him.
haskinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-03, 04:43 PM   #17
MuniEmu
Lone Wheeler

It's getting a bit late for New Year's resolutions maybe bur here's mine:

Unicon is one, but I've already registered so that's happening. No real ambitions there other than to complete the XC and survive the DH

For probably the second or third year in a row, I want to work on my rolling hops. Just occaisionally it clicks and that feels really great but mostly I end up with more of an unweighted roll over obstscles, which doesn't work for logs of more than about 6 to 10 inches.

I feel like I should practice mounts with the other foot, just because. Although I can't see much benefit day to day.

Finally, when the weather gets warmer againm I need to get the momentum going again with my 7 year old daughter's efforts to learn. Last summer she had a period of quite concerted effort but never got past the assisted riding (either holding me, or a parallel row of patio chairs). I think her motivation is still there so this year it should click for her.
MuniEmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 02:05 AM   #18
bigevilgrape
Unicyclist

Easy goal for me. Just learn how to ride well enough to go into the town center about 1/4 mile from my house. So far the weather an my health aren't cooperating.
bigevilgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 02:44 AM   #19
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevilgrape View Post
Easy goal for me. Just learn how to ride well enough to go into the town center about 1/4 mile from my house. So far the weather an my health aren't cooperating.
I certainly hope your health improves soon and you make your goal. I feel you on the weather. am hoping the rain lets up tomorrow so i can ride
Old 2020-01-04, 05:52 AM   #20
slamdance
Unicyclist

My 2020 Uni-goals

1.) Ride backwards...continuously.
2.) One foot idle(dominant side).
3.) Off the seat riding(aka: SIF).
4.) Double my leg strength from gym machines and stair hopping.

Last edited by slamdance; 2020-01-04 at 05:53 AM. Reason: .
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 06:29 AM   #21
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Now that I have a 20" again I'm going to work on some foundational stuff which I never learnt:
  • Wrong footed freemounts
  • Idling (both foot orientations)
  • Hopping (Both foot and hand orientations, so four combinations in total)

I also want to ride more muni. Family commitments at the moment mean that I don't have a lot of time for long backcountry 36er rambles (my usual preference).
Old 2020-01-04, 06:56 AM   #22
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unigan View Post
Current goals in order of importance.

1. Learn to static mount 36"
2. Learn to hop
3. Learn idle/reverse
4. Acquire a giraffe
Bloody hell. Too good. Now that you can rolling mount the 36er, you don’t need goal 1 on your list anymore...
Old 2020-01-04, 09:09 AM   #23
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
Bloody hell. Too good. Now that you can rolling mount the 36er, you don’t need goal 1 on your list anymore...
While having a reliable go to mount for the 36" is a huge step forward and advantage. Being able to perfect the static mount on it still has merit, as you need a lot of room to do a rolling mount where a static would be great to use when space is a premium.

Still I need to perfect my rolling mount as my footwork isn't quite on point.
Old 2020-01-04, 11:19 AM   #24
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unigan View Post
While having a reliable go to mount for the 36" is a huge step forward and advantage. Being able to perfect the static mount on it still has merit, as you need a lot of room to do a rolling mount where a static would be great to use when space is a premium.

Still I need to perfect my rolling mount as my footwork isn't quite on point.
I think wherever you'll be riding the 36er, the rolling mount will do... the rolling mount is, from what I've experienced, more useful than static on a 36er. Wherever you ride it, you're going to go distances on it anyway.... you aren't going to get on it and decide to go nowhere, it's not the point of a 36er!

I reckon if you can mount a 36er on ground with cobblestones and ride away, I think you'll seriously be doing well. You shouldn't worry about being able to static mount it. Just my 2 cents though. My personal next 36er challenge for you... mount it laden with luggage!! E.g. tent and camping gear...

Edit: ok, I just watched a video on how Ed Pratt mounts his 36er with luggage.... it's a static mount...

Last edited by Gockie; 2020-01-04 at 11:39 AM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 11:33 AM   #25
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
I think wherever you'll be riding the 36er, the rolling mount will do... the rolling mount is, from what I've experienced, more useful than static on a 36er. Wherever you ride it, you're going to go distances on it anyway.... you aren't going to get on it and decide to go nowhere, it's not the point of a 36er!

I reckon if you can mount a 36er on ground with cobblestones and ride away, I think you'll seriously be doing well. You shouldn't worry about being able to static mount it. Just my 2 cents though. My personal next 36er challenge for you... mount it laden with luggage!! E.g. tent and camping gear...
It has a pannier rack on it now but I only have a small saddle bag attached to it. The original plan was get a suitable bag to put my work lunch and other stuff on it. However it made it nigh impossible to mount via rollback. I could probably mount it now with rolling but there is still the issue with control as I'm much less stable with it on and I want a few more weeks of just getting used to riding the 36". Already my turns are getting tighter but still some finer points I need work on before I put more cargo on it.

As for tents and camping gear I'm no Ed and it'll be quite a while before I ever decide to do touring on it. I mean the thought of riding for more then an hour sounds painful much less an entire day but who knows?
Old 2020-01-04, 02:22 PM   #26
JohnIb
Unicyclist

Short term goal, participate in at least one Danish unicycle championships this year

Long term continue riding my 36er so Ill be able to do the 3rd tour de france stage in 2021 in 2-3 days
JohnIb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 09:42 PM   #27
bigevilgrape
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponizedBacon View Post
I certainly hope your health improves soon and you make your goal. I feel you on the weather. am hoping the rain lets up tomorrow so i can ride

Thanks. We had snow, then two ice/wintery mix storms that covered everything with ice, and now I have a cold that just won't quit. I think I'm almost over it.
bigevilgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 10:04 PM   #28
Quax1974
Wobbly

My goals:
1 recover from knee surgery
2 get back to the skill and fitness level of last summer

Any increase in fitness or skill level is a bonus.

For the time being I’m just walking and riding the ergo bike at minimal resistance to get the knee going again.
Quax1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 12:48 AM   #29
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

1. Learn to extend my riding to >10 metres
2. Learn to mount
3. Replace my pedals that have both cracked on the outside from dismounting (falling off)
4. Learn to ride on uneven surfaces
5. Save up and buy a non-beginner uni with a bigger wheel

Lets see how that pans out in 2020
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 09:03 PM   #30
DSchmitt
Human Gyroscope

I finished up 2019 at 2,351 miles on my 36er. I may have got to 2500 but I acquired some horrendous road rash end of November that essentially prevented me from uniing for nearly a month... therefore my goals are:

1. Ride 3000 miles for 2020
2. Ride at least 1 40 miler, or maybe even 50 miler.
3. Get back to my original level of riding skinnies and standstills.
4. Get very good at the ultimate wheel(ultimate wheel miles shall not contribute to the 3k goal).
5. Do way more trail riding(more specifically 500/3000 mi offroad on 36er).

I'd like to list more but... yeah I don't wanna get overwhelmed
DSchmitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goals, unicycling