Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-11-29, 12:15 PM   #61
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia
Age: 60
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
Anyway, prior to this job I was working for a teeny tiny banking organisation you may have heard of.... it’s called “CBA”.... I was a Report Developer at CBA using SSRS, Teradata and SQL Server. Great people there and I had the best manager.
I only hope you were not responsible for the AML compliance system at CBA. Could be worse though, AML at Wespac.

Next week it is NAB's turn at mea culpa.

Small is good. I actually wrote our original AML monitoring system.
__________________
Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2019-11-29 at 12:16 PM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 12:28 PM   #62
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe
 
Gockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I don't have that problem with my lights.
Very soon after I got some very good lights from Aldi. Super bright. And I bought a helmet from EBay that has a very bright light at the front, lights at the sides and at the rear! Easy recharging via USB. Ok, the helmet doesn’t have Australian standards label on it, but the lights are good and it is a very well made helmet.
This is it, just over $70:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS...U/163038954870

Or:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS...-/163838235453
__________________
If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-29 at 12:32 PM.
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 02:06 PM   #63
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 44
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
System Documentation is needed in case you get hit by the big red bus....
I’m a SQL Developer, and it’s really not easy to pick up what goes on, what is used where, what the code is used for, why the code was written as it is. Before I started there 2 years ago, it was all done by one really smart guys for 8 years but there was no documentation. Now that’s me. The business would be in trouble if I wasn’t around.

Any suggestions on how to make it easy/easier?
Is the big red bus white before you get hit?

Writing documentation makes you expendable. I'm glad we don't have time to write it. That is why I could keep my job even, when choosing to move back to my own country. Not only did I want to move back because I wanted to live closer to my family, but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands. Unfortunately I now live in the one place of NL where it is quite hilly still. Oh well, I've become a lot better and now they are a good workout.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 08:49 PM   #64
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe
 
Gockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Is the big red bus white before you get hit?

Writing documentation makes you expendable. I'm glad we don't have time to write it. That is why I could keep my job even, when choosing to move back to my own country. Not only did I want to move back because I wanted to live closer to my family, but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands. Unfortunately I now live in the one place of NL where it is quite hilly still. Oh well, I've become a lot better and now they are a good workout.
I'm thinking documentation is hard, and over time databases grow, new tables, views, stored procs get added. Things get forgotten about. The database systems I've inherited, most of it doesn't have explanation either. As my company never had separated test and prod systems and it was all done by one smart guy (who stored all the knowledge in his head and nowhere else), i'm sure there are many unnecessary legacy objects in databases too. I suppose if the business doesn't force you to document it's potentially a ticking time bomb for the company.

I've had to learn a lot quickly in this role and I'm generally comfortable with what I encounter at work now, but there are just so many existing objects in the databases (and whole databases for that matter) that I do not know why they are there. And if I don't know, no one knows.

Anyway, way back in the early and mid 2000's I was working for Amex. With the GFC I was made redundant. In my small team, I was the technical one. I struck up an agreement that if they needed me to do something, Amex would engage me as an Independent contractor with contracting rates. That worked well.

Denmark and The Netherlands are awesome countries to ride in... probably the best in the world. I was amazed to see in Denmark the roundabouts have separated bike lanes too... that's brilliant.
__________________
If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-29 at 08:51 PM.
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 06:04 PM   #65
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist
 
Danny Colyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 529
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Pick doesn't exist any more
Well, Pick Systems no longer exists as Pick Systems (it's been through Tiger Logic, Raining Data, it's currently Rocket Software). And native Pick no longer exists (as far as I know - support for AP ended in 1999), but flavours like D3 and mvBase are still going strong.

Guess what I do for a living
__________________
http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson
Danny Colyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 09:09 PM   #66
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe
 
Gockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I only hope you were not responsible for the AML compliance system at CBA. Could be worse though, AML at Wespac.

Next week it is NAB's turn at mea culpa.

Small is good. I actually wrote our original AML monitoring system.
Shush! Yes, I did that. I commented out that crucial code.... Plus wrote a routine that puts all partial cents (From savings account interest calculations) into my own personal accounts.... Due to this code I wrote I'm a... drumroll please.... A Trillionaire

I think small banking institutions fly under the radar and was subject to less scrutiny, but I don't know for sure. I would think that the Big 4 spent a lot of money defending their cases at the Royal Commission. Employed top legal talent to argue their cases.

** In case any readers do not understand emoticons, I had nothing to do with the ATM code used at CBA nor did I apply any cent rounding code for personal or business gain (but I heard/read about that growing up)! Anyway, I was kidding on both counts
Attached Images
 
__________________
If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-30 at 09:15 PM.
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 11:45 PM   #67
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia
Age: 60
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Colyer View Post
Well, Pick Systems no longer exists as Pick Systems (it's been through Tiger Logic, Raining Data, it's currently Rocket Software). And native Pick no longer exists (as far as I know - support for AP ended in 1999), but flavours like D3 and mvBase are still going strong.
There are at least three of here who work with Pick derivatives?
__________________
Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-01, 06:50 PM   #68
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle
 
Mikefule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Bennington, Lincolnshire, England.
Posts: 7,190
My first wife (we were in our 20s) was supportive. We had various hobbies and gave each other space to do these things. I did Morris dancing and unicycling; she played flute and went sailing.

My second wife knew I unicycled before we met. We met through a dating website. The first time she saw me ride a unicycle, she thought it was cool. Since then, we've done a couple of rides with her on 2 wheels and me on 1, but it was a bit of a mismatch. She had a brief go at riding unicycle, but had a nasty fall and lost her nerve. Both her sons (now my stepsons) taught themselves to ride, and we now sometimes ride together.

I'm not a world relationships expert, but I think couples have to respect each other's different interests and hobbies. However, hobbies have to take second place to domestic and family duties.
__________________
My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-01, 07:54 PM   #69
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'
 
johnfoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Age: 57
Posts: 17,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
Any suggestions on how to make it easy/easier?
Document. Setonix mentioned how not documenting is job security, but isn't that kind of selfish and anti-company? Anyway, it probably reflects that he hasn't been "that guy" that has to take over a non-documented system that's not easy to figure out...

But if you want to be sneaky, you can create your documentation in your own personal code, where it doesn't make sense to the casual observer. Then, if the need arises for someone else to know all your secrets and you *aren't* leaving the company, you can easily convert it for easier reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
...but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands.
Denmark has hills???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
...I think couples have to respect each other's different interests and hobbies. However, hobbies have to take second place to domestic and family duties.
100% agree. If domestic and family duties are thought of as secondary, especially if you have children, this is going to lead to relationship damage.
__________________
John Foss
www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-02, 05:29 PM   #70
MuniEmu
Lone Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Essex UK
Age: 41
Posts: 10
Supporive!

Supportive! I already new she was (my first unicycle was a Christmas present from her, admittedly at my request), but she proved it last week by agreeing I go to Unicon in France next summer! No questions asked except I arrange childcare with my mum for my eldest daughter after the school holidays start.

The stars had already aligned when a group of friends invited me for a weeks mountain biking in the French Alps, the same week as the start of Unicon. This is too good an opportunity to miss, I thought - first half of the week on two wheels, second half I can catch the start of Unicon, the XC and maybe the DH, and share accomodation close enough to Grenoble to be viable.

Anyway, the only stumbling block for many men to a plan like this could often be 'the wife', but in my case apparently not (maybe because I don't call her 'the wife' ) : )

PS the observant among you will notice this is my first post - I have been lurking for a long time - sorry - but finally joined up and looking forard to getting to know you all!
MuniEmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 09:20 AM   #71
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe
 
Gockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniEmu View Post
Supportive! I already new she was (my first unicycle was a Christmas present from her, admittedly at my request), but she proved it last week by agreeing I go to Unicon in France next summer! No questions asked except I arrange childcare with my mum for my eldest daughter after the school holidays start.

The stars had already aligned when a group of friends invited me for a weeks mountain biking in the French Alps, the same week as the start of Unicon. This is too good an opportunity to miss, I thought - first half of the week on two wheels, second half I can catch the start of Unicon, the XC and maybe the DH, and share accomodation close enough to Grenoble to be viable.

Anyway, the only stumbling block for many men to a plan like this could often be 'the wife', but in my case apparently not (maybe because I don't call her 'the wife' ) : )

PS the observant among you will notice this is my first post - I have been lurking for a long time - sorry - but finally joined up and looking forard to getting to know you all!
Awesome MuniEmu!

Question. Where are you? Emu’s are Australian, and Grenoble is far away....
__________________
If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 12:51 PM   #72
MuniEmu
Lone Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Essex UK
Age: 41
Posts: 10
Thanks Gockie!

I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenoble... so when I was trying to think up a user name, I have just got a new pickup truck (ute?), and the registration number kind of says EMU (well is starts with an E and has an MU) at the end. The quickest way to a personalised registration plate, is to change your name right?

I wanted to use OldManEmu, after the off-road suspension people, but thought MuniEmu was more appropriate! Plus I am not that old (41)...
MuniEmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 12:52 PM   #73
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 44
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Denmark has hills???
In Jutland around Aarhus there are hills. On the west-coast it is as flat as NL, but I didn't live there.

Even though we don't have so much time documenting, I add comments in the code, so document and code are merged together. I expect from any new colleagues joining the team to take notes when I explain stuff to them and the rest they should figure out by themselves. We are a small team and in the past 12 years I have mostly written new code. Lucky me.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 12:56 PM   #74
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 44
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniEmu View Post
Thanks Gockie!

I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenoble... so when I was trying to think up a user name, I have just got a new pickup truck (ute?), and the registration number kind of says EMU (well is starts with an E and has an MU) at the end. The quickest way to a personalised registration plate, is to change your name right?

I wanted to use OldManEmu, after the off-road suspension people, but thought MuniEmu was more appropriate! Plus I am not that old (41)...
so you're saying you can't get a personalised numberplate in the UK? When I lived in Denmark, I bought a car and had SETONIX on my numberplate. It was expensive to register, but I thought well worth it. Around 1500 EUR. Reminding me of IT people earning too much money
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 04:03 PM   #75
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
 
wobbling bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: European Union (S-W)
Age: 71
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniEmu View Post
I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenoble...
wait until the UK drifts away at the end of January and then It will take longer (tears: I will pay more for my tea and morning scones )
__________________
One Wheel : bear necessity
(Abuello RodoMancat)
wobbling bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oppose, spouse, support, unicycling


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does your 36er fit in your 2014/2015 Subaru Forester? newob General Unicycling Discussions 21 2015-06-20 06:39 AM
Does free mounting or starting your first ride ever become 100%? Nate128 General Unicycling Discussions 15 2014-04-01 02:01 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.12177 seconds with 12 queries