Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-11-25, 07:46 PM   #16
mrfixit
Unicyclist

The honey moon is over. No, no negativity from my wife. My wife supports me, but is worried about my safety. My teen aged daughter thinks it's cool.

Maybe it's time to lose the wife and get a new unicycle?
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 08:42 PM   #17
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

My partner is supportive. He’s not keen to learn himself though!

We went over to Denmark for a big unicycling adventure. He rode a bike, I rode the uni. The only problem is that I couldn’t freemount the 36er so he had to help me pretty much every time after I dismounted.

He came down to support me at uninats and to watch the action. He had to be at home the first couple of days for work but he flew down to catch what he could (so he came for the second half of it).

So, he is supportive, but only wants me to ride unicycles I can mount independently on trips.

For my birthday he got me a Allen key tool for tightening cranks and adjusting seat heights from Germany (cause I wanted his one)

As to unicycles, I mainly keep them in one of the rooms of the house. We have a big house....
Old 2019-11-26, 01:15 AM   #18
bigevilgrape
Unicyclist

My partner generally thinks i'm a bit nutty in a good way. He is still in the "i'm not going to try" phase and is transitioning to "maybe after this race season I"ll consider trying". We ride a lot of bikes, so the cost of unicycles is pretty reasonable in comparison.
bigevilgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 01:57 AM   #19
BruceC
Unicyclist

My wife has always been supportive, just don't ask her to try and ride a unicyle.

We started doing longer rides together, me on a unicycle and her on 2 wheels, and now her bicycling skills and fitness have improved enormously. There was a time when I had to wait for her to catch me up, now it's the other way (except on hills).

Name:  reindeer.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  41.9 KB

Unicycling has been good for me and great for us.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 05:39 AM   #20
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
My wife thought it rather odd when I bought my first uni at a garage sale for ten dollars. She was bemused at how I worked at it until I could ride. Once I could ride she asked where I would go with it.

Once I got got serious she noticed how good it was for both my physique and state of mind and became my biggest fan.

About eight months after I started I found out the national championships would be on in about a month. I expressed an interest in going to the event the following year and she said, "why not this year?". Then she organised the whole trip, flights, hire car and accommodation.

She loved watching the events, especially at the skate park and the high jump. We have been to three championships now.

I got a part riding a uni on stage in one of the shows she performed in when she told the director her husband rode a unicycle.

She did a film making course and her main project was "The One Wheeler", featuring me and my unicycles.

When I bought the Triton 36 and told her how much it cost, her response was "So?"

She didn't really like how much space the unicycles took up in the garage but was much happier when I built a hanging rack.
Wow what a great story OneTrackMind... I'm jealous...
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 06:05 AM   #21
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Your wife is correct on all 6 counts.
Well, there's that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
...she does strongly object to the idea of my getting a penny farthing because it takes up a lot of space and she fully expects me to break my neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
They are both afraid they will fall off and break their necks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve
4. Where are you going? You better not come crying to me when you break your neck!
Why is it always the neck? Broken necks are relatively rare in this sport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
...she knows it helps me feel (and look!) younger (after all she also practices sports that help her feel -and look- younger)
What sports does your wife do, if I may inquire? Always looking for ways to shave a few more years off... (no, really for my wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear
...since I practice mostly muni she is sometimes worried that I may hurt myself in the woods.
She always wants me to tell her where I'm riding if I go alone. This is a sensible idea since I like the "interesting" trails. She requests a call or text at the start and the end of the ride, so she knows I'm okay, or otherwise knows where to send the search party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
So, he is supportive, but only wants me to ride unicycles I can mount independently on trips.
That's good advice. Just keep working on that 36er freemount! Though those big wheels can be a pain to fly with...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve View Post
1. You look like a complete idiot trying to balance that thing.
2. Your only doing this for attention... I'm going to ignore you...
3. When you have finished trying to be a Circus clown, can you please do something productive like mop the floors and do the vacuming.
4. Where are you going? You better not come crying to me when you break your neck!
5. How embarrasing, please dont ever mention anything about your stupid unicycle to my friends...
6. [Talking to my kids] - Yes, he bought a Unicycle, I'm afraid your father has developed dementia.
Ouch! She doesn't seem happy about your unicycling at all. Has she said why? Possible reasons:
  • She's authentically worried about you getting hurt
  • She's worried about what others will think; and apparently how this will reflect on what they'll think of her
  • She objects to all the time you're spending on your new hobby, which is time not spent with her
  • She feels intimidated by what you're doing, believing she could never do it and therefore feeling left out and/or abandoned
  • She is worried about your developing dimentia problem
  • She thinks you'll use it as an excuse to not do chores
On the upside, your list didn't include anything about money spent. Don't worry, she'll probably get to that as soon as you buy your second uni.

But that list, as a whole, is very concerning. Have the two of you been married for long? If so, it's a pretty harsh reaction. Let her know you still love her, and you will continue to mop and vacuum.

Or seek counseling.

As for my wife:
She married a guy she already knew had a serious unicycling habit. I had already been riding over 20 years, done it for a living, rode in many countries and on many stages, won many unicycling titles and helped run the big unicycling organizations, and accumulated more than 30 unicycles by then. But she was still, justifiably jealous of the amounts of time I would spend on my hobby/sport/lifestyle. At the same time, she would travel with me to many big unicycle conventions, and she's been to more Unicons than most unicyclists. Going to those allowed us to have fun vacations (separate from the conventions) in China, Japan, and all over Europe! Next year we're going to Grenoble (Unicon 20), followed by exploring more of France and possibly Italy, Switzerland, etc. We (now) have a big garage with a high ceiling, so for the most part, the unicycles are all off the floor! She is the best person I could possibly have found.

BTW, for you Aussies, we will be in Sydney in January, where David Buchanan from Canberra is trying to help arrange a morning unicycle ride somewhere in the sydney area for interested riders, on or around January 7. I'll need to borrow one if this can be set up. Would love to meet you. Bring your spouses/significant others!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-11-26 at 06:10 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 08:01 AM   #22
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

I'm happy to report that my wife is really supportive of my unicycling hobby and all that comes with it.

I did not do any sports between about 20 and 47 years of age, except occasional bike rides to work or mountain hikes in vacations. She did encourage me do to more physical exercise, but there simply was nothing I liked enough. Once I discovered unicycling (together with our two daughters) she was as happy as I was that there finally was a sport that 'clicked' with me.

By now I own 8 to 10 unicycles (haven't counted) and spend quite some time on simply riding, on attending events, on organising events and on other unicycling-related stuff. It keeps me fit both physically and mentally. She appreciates all of that. Admittedly, she would like me to do more household chores at times, but she doesn't specifically blame unicycling for me not doing that enough.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 08:20 AM   #23
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post

BTW, for you Aussies, we will be in Sydney in January, where David Buchanan from Canberra is trying to help arrange a morning unicycle ride somewhere in the sydney area for interested riders, on or around January 7. I'll need to borrow one if this can be set up. Would love to meet you. Bring your spouses/significant others!
That’s awesome! Count me in
And I’m sure a uni can be arranged for you

Re: Travelling with a 36er.... don’t fly Qatar. They are a pain in the butt and stole money and a phone from my partner. And the guy at checkin said my unicycle was going to damage his plane. Really?
Old 2019-11-26, 08:58 AM   #24
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
the guy at checkin said my unicycle was going to damage his plane
Only if he tries to ride it!
Old 2019-11-26, 10:46 AM   #25
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I've had my wife for fifty years and had a unicycle for about sixty. She doesn't really have a leg to stand on and doesn't say too much. She knows that unicycles are a lot safer then training crazy horses (or mules).
Nice picture JimT. Lovely horse, or is he/she a mule?
Maybe I need to take up a real dangerous sport like Base Jumping.... Deaths per 100,000 population: 43.17. Odds of dying: 1 in 2,317. ...
Old 2019-11-26, 10:50 AM   #26
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post
She even let me buy my KH36 a month ago!
Nice... I better start saving up now... by the time I learn to ride maybe I could afford this beauty...
Old 2019-11-26, 11:13 AM   #27
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Quote:
Ouch! She doesn't seem happy about your unicycling at all. Has she said why?

Have the two of you been married for long? If so, it's a pretty harsh reaction. Let her know you still love her, and you will continue to mop and vacuum.

I asked today about her aversion to unicycles, and she genuinely worries a lot about me and the kids... She equates half as many wheels as a normal bike to twice as dangerous...I was the victim of a hit and run a few years back on a regular bike and had a serious concussion and retrograde amnesia. I didn't recognise her when she came to my bedside at the hospital... that had to hurt right.. all good now though thankfully.

I have been married for more than 20 years.

Looks like you have your ride in Sydney sorted... Unicyclists are a real accommodating bunch, so nice that Gockie can join you.
Old 2019-11-26, 11:35 AM   #28
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
ah and yes: since I practice mostly muni she is sometimes worried that I may hurt myself in the woods.
If I'm out riding, whether with you or on my own, and I'm late returning home, she starts looking at twitter for #unicycleaccidentparis...
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 02:45 PM   #29
simonb
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve View Post
I have started learning to ride a unicycle recently and was not expecting the somewat negative reactions I get from my spouse about my new hobby.

I was wondering what positive or negative reactions other forum members are getting from their spouses, family and friends.

I'll start by saying that my wife's responses are overwhelmingly negative.
Some recent comments:-
1. You look like a complete idiot trying to balance that thing.
2. Your only doing this for attention... I'm going to ignore you...
3. When you have finished trying to be a Circus clown, can you please do something productive like mop the floors and do the vacuming.
5. How embarrasing, please dont ever mention anything about your stupid unicycle to my friends...
6. [Talking to my kids] - Yes, he bought a Unicycle, I'm afraid your father has developed dementia.
Honestly, this sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship.

Hopefully, they are just naive and don't understand the reasons why you enjoy unicycling. If you explain the reasons why, they'll have more of an insight into your life and a new foundation to support you from.

If they're still overtly negative about your unicycling even when you've explained why, and unicycling isn't interfering with your ability to spend time with family/other commitments, I'd seriously consider talking to her about the reasons you are together.

Your spouse doesn't have to love unicycling or even overtly 'support' it, but talking down to you, criticising you and gaslighting you is not healthy in any aspect of any relationship.

EDIT: Just read your response about safety concerns and danger. Again, this is something that seems to be grounded in her perception of unicycling that isn't true. Try talking to her about how unicycling is relatively safe, even compared to biking, is great for you physically and mentally and is fun. It's a sign of your strength and independence and not something for anyone to be embarrassed or ashamed of at all. @JohnFoss makes a number of good points about concerns your wife may have that could be easily cleared up.

Last edited by simonb; 2019-11-26 at 02:52 PM.
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 04:14 PM   #30
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
What sports does your wife do, if I may inquire? Always looking for ways to shave a few more years off... (no, really for my wife)
Well you know her: she is (extremely) lightweight so she is built for distance running ... but now she only regularly practices jogging (and some indoor exercices in a gym) - last month we were at high altitude in the Andes and local people were wondering if she could be tired -

Tags
oppose, spouse, support, unicycling